54 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2017 12:25 AM by troytraveler RSS

Hawaii Trip (Marriott Vs. Hawaiian Airlines)

nismoztuner Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just joined the forum today, I have been a Silver Elite Member with Marriott for 2 years now..

I am planing a trip to Hawaii during June and want to stay at Waikiki Marriott but what i see it that i get a better deal if i book my Flight+Stay with Hawaiian Airlines compared to Marriott directly.

I was looking at Marriott and saw that they have a sort of "Price Match" I was reading through the list of what they DO NOT price match- I saw this..

• Package rates that include the room and other components such as travel, car rental, entertainment, and/or non-breakfast meals.

Not sure if its worth contacting Marriott or if anybody has had a similar experience. like i sad i want to book my trip with Hawaiian Airlines (hotel+stay** with Marriott**) since they offer the cheapest package..

(8 nights)

Book w/ Marriott (flight + Hotel)

Partial Ocean View- 4,104.41

(8 nights)

Book w/ Hawaiian Airlines (flight + Hotel *stay with Marriott**) 

Partial Ocean View- 3,308.46

Difference- $796

What do you guys recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hawaii Trip (Marriott Vs. Hawaiian Airlines)
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Woohoo! Welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders, nismoztuner! So glad to have you join our community. As you'll quickly learn, this is forum is a great place to share all things travel and Marriott Rewards related. The other Insiders really know their stuff, and are always helpful when it comes to sharing stories, tips, ideas, and insights. You can also always reach out to myself, joshm, CariJ, KatieC or NathalieF if you have any issues or questions. We make up the moderation team for this site and are always happy to help as well.

In regards to your post, I'm curious to see if any of the other Insiders have had similar experiences. I can also reach out to our team to see if they can share any insights.

Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nismoztuner Platinum

Thank you Lindseyh, i would appropriate that before i go ahead and just give my business to Hawaiian airlines since i will still be using Marriott as my hotel stay but pay H.A.. 

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi nismoztuner, I had the team look into your questions and they confirmed that Marriott does not match package rates. They recommend that you reach out to our Look No Further team, however, who may have insights into possible options for you. They can be reached at 1-800-771-LOOK. Hope that helps! Let me know what else I can help answer!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Also consider that if you book through H.A you might not get credit for nights or points on your marriott account.

nismoztuner Platinum

Im going to call the phone number Lindseyh provided if it does not go my way then I`ll take the marriott loss and save instead..

-hopefully i still get some of the elite benefits tho...

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Aloha nismoztuner!

Welcome to the community!  What you might want to do in the case of booking with HA is give the property a call directly once you complete your booking and have them attach your Marriott Rewards number to your reservation.  They should be able to do this.

In my experience, if offered an upgrade, take the view.  The Jr Suites are not impressive at all... I enjoyed our large corner room with ocean views much, MUCH more.  The room categories you want to aim for are the Kealohilani Tower Deluxe Ocean View, the Paoakalani Ocean View, or the Paoakalani Diamond Head View.  All other categories won't provide you with a true ocean view.  The difference between the Paoakalani & Kealohilani Towers is that the K tower has more updated rooms, so the decor is nicer.  But both have the same bathroom and same functionality.  The K tower is also where all the restaurants are.

Here's what the Paoakalani Tower Ocean View looks like, though the Kealohilani Deluxe Ocean View is better

414464_4610844150692_963154148_o.jpg

For room examples and view examples from my stays, check out my album:  Waikiki Beach Marriott

Also, though hotel restaurants normally aren't that good, the Waikiki Beach Marriott is home to some great restaurants.  Sansei (seafood/sushi) is helmed by famous local restauranteur DK Kodoma, as is the neighboring DK Steakhouse.  The Italian restaurant downstairs, Arancino, is also quite good.  There are, of course, other great options all around too.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kyle

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well done kharada46 as always.

And welcome to Insiders nismoztuner, this guy will give you incredible information as they live in Honolulu.

nismoztuner Platinum

very good idea thank you- i will do what you recommended!

For you pics i did check them out- ill see what happens if they offer an upgrade

Thank you!

You're very welcome nismoztuner!  Hope all works out for you. 

So, do you drive a Fairlady Z?  I'm on team TRD  

nismoztuner Platinum

Team TRD nice!

Yes, i currently have a 1994 300zx N/a. I had a 1995 300zx Twin Turbo (no so reliable/ brought it up to 390ish HP) that my brother would often get without my permission and so i decided to sell it to him. Shortly after that he had an accident where some drunk guy got in his way- my brother wasn't able to evade him so bye bye z. That car was easily worth more than $10k+ insurance only gave him $5K and sold it back to my brother for $350 (cant remember) had to part it to get more out of it. He later bought a G35

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sXz0h5tGPOQ/UONxfSn_5JI/AAAAAAAAHCU/8z1c6_kn09k/w945-h709-no/20130101_144855.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cCloXD8qBZI/UONxM9S9fEI/AAAAAAAAHBY/1Ufu4C3lA0Y/w945-h709-no/20130101_144753.jpg

The Z with the black wheels was the TT that my brother had an accident with. The z closest the green z is my current z.

AFTER THE ACCIDENT/ PART OUThttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pANetCfWTYM/U6Xo9Zx5bfI/AAAAAAAAaow/EE-PGyMzrmo/w945-h709-no/20140621_131808.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zLh2XVAsEGE/U6XpfEJVhrI/AAAAAAAAaqg/-ZKAqDQ445o/w945-h709-no/20140621_132047.jpg

Little show off

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pHDdN4ScCEU/VLxFbAIbN5I/AAAAAAAAjUE/1rj4M7YzYcw/s709-no/IMG_0434.JPG

nismoztuner Platinum

Oh and i ended up booking my trip with American Express Travel i was getting a good deal with them(sort off)- and i will be calling Marriott tomorrow- with amex-amex gave me the option of adding a rewards number for the airline but not the hotel

i will call the resort (right?) and ask them to attach my MR number and also ask for some upgrade-see what happens..

nismoztuner,

Nice!  You guys literally keeping it all in the family literally, and with the Nissans & Infinitis  

I drive a FR-S (technically not Toyota or even Scion)

1231509_10203639741615663_7469004156291421095_n.jpg

While my wife went full on Subaru

1472991_10205506817811401_8902951528240857351_n.jpg

Great to hear you got your reservations down!  That's really odd that Amex would do one reward number but not the other... But yes, do call the Waikiki Beach Marriott and have them attach your rewards number.  You should probably be able to call the general Marriott line too. 

When asking for an upgrade, it really helps if you can give a reason too.  Special event, first time visit, etc.  I did this for my honeymoon in Europe and it worked for the most part.  Also did that on a recent anniversary trip to Maui, but the hotel gave me an "ocean view" that was completely blocked by trees and was right next to the party lawn...

Good luck!  I hope you do get an upgrade! 

nismoztuner Platinum

I was thinking about getting a 2010 BMW 550i but didnt buy anything i made the dealership an offer they wouldnt take it- a week after that they kept bugging me to come back.. didnt buy anything- I have been debating between a 370z nismo for a while but i want something with space now. i`m considering  a WRX and a challanger R/T (4 seats)

Woa, that's quite a difference nismoztuner!  I've never driven a Challenger, but I do like our WRX.  The wife doesn't drive standard, so she bought a premium with the CVT.  I imagine the Challenger will have better straight-line performance, while the WRX would be much more fun on a twisty road   But I will say we're very happy with our WRX and think it was a pretty good deal when considering the price and all the features. 

nismoztuner Platinum

Yup, i'm 6f2- When i was looking at some of the cars in my local dealership they had the challenger which felt like it had room for some on in the trunk- Thats when i saw that they also had an STI on the other side of the lot. i went a head and sat in it- just felt to crowded for me.. maybe i just have to get comfortable with it almost like when i first bought my z32 i felt i wasnt going to fit- i have my seat set all the way down.

My coworker has a camaro that i have driven when we take our little road trips that thing is just bad on the "twisty road"- i feel more like a drifter in my 300zx..

Are there any must do thing you recommend for hawaii or things to avoid?

At the moment what i have planed out is skydive (first time ever), go into the submarine tour, and have some "malasada" at a doughnut shop (leonards?) that is close to marriott..

Ah nismoztuner, I can only imagine!  You do have to be comfortable in what you drive.  But it should also be fun.  Japanese (and European) cars do handle way better than American cars for the most part, so there's that too. 

You seem to be quite the adventurer!  Hawaii has a lot of outdoor activities to enjoy.  There's a lot of hiking on Oahu ranging from easy to expert, and depending on the time you want to commit.  My favorite easy hike is the Outdoors Oahu - Makapu'u Lighthouse.  Another great/popular easy hike would be Diamond Head, but you need to pay admission fees for that one.  A great place to get more information on hiking, see Na Ala Hele - Hawaii Trail System: Oahu Trails

Malasadas are great, but you should also get some shave ice while in Hawaii.  Many love Matsumoto's on the North Shore; it's a landmark institution, though I find it to be far too sweet for my liking.  My favorite shave ice is on Maui at Maui Eats - Ululani Shave Ice.  However, on Oahu, my two favorites are Honolulu Eats - Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha and Honolulu Eats - Ice Garden.  Other places I like to go to on Oahu are Honolulu Eats - Papalua Shave Ice - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa Ko Olina, Honolulu Eats - Monsarratt Avenue Shave Ice, Honolulu Eats - Lemona.

Definitely go seek a plate lunch, the true working man's food in Hawaii.  Rainbow Drive Inn is super popular and very close to Waikiki, by my favorite is Honolulu Eats - Heights Drive Inn or for a healthier option, visit Honolulu Eats - Nico's Pier 38

You should definitely go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve & Beach Park, Oahu | GoHawaii.com, but go early.  Parking tends to fill up and you will be turned away.  If you can, I would suggest going when the tide is receding or low, as when the tide rises, it tends to make the water cloudy. 

Something the wife and I like to do once in a while (since we have great driving cars ) is drive around the island randomly.  You can go from Waikiki up around the east side of the island and hit the North Shore, and come back down through central Oahu, past Pearl Harbor and thru Honolulu's Urban Core (or vice versa), though I'd highly recommend planning your trip around the island to avoid major traffic times.  Traffic flows from West Oahu to Honolulu's business district (west to east) in the morning and reverses in the afternoon (typically beginning around 3pm).  And maybe stop at some of these icons on your round the island trek 11 Hawai'i General Stores You Must Visit - Honolulu Magazine - March 2015 - Hawaii. 

Farmers Markets are also a lot of fun!  There's the big, main farmers markets by Farmers Markets | The Hawaii Farm Bureau and there's one almost daily, but there's a ton of other markets, including at Ala Moana Shopping Center, Ward Centers, Pearlridge, and the North Shore.  They often have a lot of unique foods to eat there, gift items, and even plants.  A simple Google search should return info on Oahu's farmers markets, there's really too many to list here. 

Might also want to check on events occurring during your visit to attend, or to avoid traffic/crowd issues.  I know one in June is the KING KAMEHAMEHA CELEBRATION FLORAL PARADE (99TH ANNUAL) | GoHawaii.com

Hope this helps!  Let me know if there's any more specific stuff you want info on or need any more help!  Happy planning!

Kyle

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Awesome response, kharada46. Makes me want to head to Hawaii right now!

nismoztuner Platinum

I checked all the links you posted and will definitely do most of them if possible.

The trail up to Haiku looks awesome but like you said it illegal. Swimming in the open ocean sort of freaks me out somehow.. but we will see what happens i will be in Waikiki during June 12-21.  

Thanks for the suggestions you're VERY helpful-I should get you a drink!

Glad to help nismoztuner!  Hope you get to do all that you want to do! 

The snorkeling at Hanauma Bay is great, because it's a protected area that's super safe and sheltered, so I say check it out if you can!

So it looks like you will be here for the King Kamehameha Floral parade too.  I'll be sure to keep an eye on local events as your trip gets closer and will let you know if I see anything of interest pop up. 

I almost forgot to mention, if you want to learn to surf, the best place to go is Hawaiian Fire.  These guys are Honolulu Fire Department firefighters and are regarded as some of the best surf instructors in the State!  Hawaiianfire

If there's absolutely anything else you need help with, let me know! 

nismoztuner Platinum

kharada46

not sure if you remember this post, shortly after came back from Hawaii (a month later) my two brothers had another accident.  

Sorry to hear that, nismoztuner!  I hope Your brothers are well... Those situations are never good. 

nismoztuner Platinum

Not sure how to say this, but i kind of wish they had another chance in life- they didnt make it.. the car impact was really bad for them (a car hit them).. it was a side collision and then to top it off the car started smoking......car went up on fire..

I'm really sorry for your loss, nismoztuner.  My thoughts go out to you and your family. 

nismoztuner Platinum

it still feels hard to believe what happened.. Day 1 still feels like yesterday, sometimes i even forget that they are not here anymore- when i go out shopping, restaurants i buy stuff for everyone till i realize that 2 are gone (some stuff already in the bag) and sometimes i want to show off something to them.. till i remember theyre no longer here

------

my friend sent me a message telling me that someone just had an accident where my brothers had their first accident with the 300zx years ago..

http://goo.gl/Crz6Wq

even that brought back bad memories.....

I can't imagine what that must be like nismoztuner.  I can only hope that you, and the rest of your family will be able to overcome this difficult situation and find peace. 

It sounds like that area is pretty dangerous.  Seems as if the local government needs to be lobbied to change that intersection, either with traffic calming, heightened police presence, etc.  Unacceptable. 

nismoztuner Platinum

i try to avoid driving thru that street since the accident- but i did once and noticed that traffic lights where being put up. wonder why...

Your town too, huh nismoztuner?  Same here in Hawaii, but often enough, even a bad incident won't cause any action here either...

nismoztuner Platinum

sucks, the only way is complaining about it to officials

nismoztuner Platinum

on a good side i just became platinum today

nismoztuner, this is true of virtually any government within the U.S.? 

Anyhow, congrats on your Platinum status.  Still waiting to see if my Gold will be renewed despite slightly missing the 50 night requirement. 

nismoztuner Platinum

50 nights, how many did you get to during 2016?

nismoztuner, think I hit 43 nights.  Looks like they're going to let me keep gold though!

nismoztuner Platinum

You were really close, this year my GF wants us to go to Maui. Usually when i travel i like to stay 10 days minimum on my trips so that already 10 nights for 2017..

I have 5 nights up to now. 70 more to go to keep platinum..

Yup, super close this year!  10 nights on Maui sounds awesome!  Lot's of time to do everything.  Just bear in mind that Haleakala sunrise viewing now requires reservations via the NPS. 

Not sure how I'll do with points this year.  I have a few nights already, have one more schedule, and may have another 3-4 in April.  But my large trips this year might have stays all at Hyatt and/or AirBnB instead due to cost.  Ironically Marriott has been among, if not the most expensive option in the places I'm planning to go. 

nismoztuner Platinum

have you tried doing price match, during NYE i priced match a marque room ($450/night) in San Francisco. ended up paying less than $210 for the night plus got upgraded.. i even booked a second room since friends wanted to go as well.. so that was almost 500 saved as a group

I've been checking, but so far, no luck.  The first one coming up is Vegas, which, for some reason Marriott is far more expensive than what I can get with Hyatt/M Life.  The second trip later this years involves Seattle and/or Portland, DC, and NYC, but for 8-10 people, so it looks as if Airbnb will likely be far more cost effective, but we'll see. 

nismoztuner, here's a webpage that might be of interest to you:  http://www.unrealhawaii.com/

Just be aware that some of the activities written in this site, like hiking the Haiku Stairs, is illegal.  And even if activities aren't illegal, many can be extremely dangerous.  We've had many deaths in the past year from hikers falling. 

nismoztuner Platinum

I was looking at a some videos of hiking and yeah some people have successfully bribed the security guards to let them in- some of these places have very awesome views... I sort of want to go to some of them for the view

Only a month and 7 days to go and i`ll be in Hawaii, I already called Marriott Rewards CS to attach my rewards number but not sure how I can verify it that was done. The lady asked me why I wanted to do add my number to the reservation if it wont really help with anything or getting night credits- I told her i wanted my room preferences and elite stuff while I`m in my trip. she said she did it but not sure if it was really done. 

nismoztuner,

Go into your Rewards account and under "My Reservations" down near the bottom of the page you should be able to type in the confirmation number of the reservation and see if it brings up your reservation.  If so then your MR number is associated with the reservation.

nismoztuner Platinum

The problem is that I booked my Hawaii trip with American Express Travel (had points) so they give me a confirmation number but once I type it on the Marriott site it tells me its invalid- so i`m assuming the format is not the same.

I booked my trip with Amex because it was A LOT cheaper than booking directly with Marriott..I am going to call again after work and just say that I want to confirm that my Rewards number was added.. 

Okay got ya however; I bet the hotel has a Marriott confirmation number associated with the reservation so you might ask for that as well when you call just to verify if nothing else.

As is the case with many things in Hawaii nismoztuner!  Just a month away now! 

It's unusual that the MR CS person said those things to you.  IAHFLYR's recommendations are great.  And if all else fails, you can always talk to the front desk agent when you check-in.

Let me know if you have any questions/need help! 

nismoztuner Platinum

When I booked rooms directly with Marriott I would get a complimentary call before my stay just to go over my reservation- if I don't get a call soon (week before my stay) I will call them and make sure..

nismoztuner, I wouldn't count on getting a call.  I've never received one from any of the Hawaii properties I've stayed at, regardless of booking method.  Give um a call for sure and see if they can give you an upgrade!  May be more likely to happen if you have a special occasion

A call to go over the reservation, nah!!

Been to Hawaii numerous times and have yet to get a call from any property, best of luck on the call.

Yup, IAHFLYR I'm about to head to the Big Island for a last minute workcation and the most I got from the Courtyard King Kamehameha in Kona is the usual e-mail I always get.

nismoztuner Platinum

Posting about the trip- took me a while to get back due to some family issues

When i got to hawaii my GF and I took a shuttle to the hotel, $15/per person one way. When my GF and I got the hotel I went to the Elite Line and waited in line. The lady that was helping the elite once it was my turn told me to give her a second because she had to do something. So i was waiting for a few minutes then one of the regular line ladies looked my way and decided to helped and asked me if i was checking in. She asked for my name and then looked for me on the system- it took her a while to find me.

She then asked me if i was a rewards member, that the system didn't show me as an elite. so then i gave her my elite card, she entered my info again and told me that check in was in 3 hours from now... but then told me she was going to she what she can do so that i wont have to wait that long. she was moving stuff around the computer for a while, a good 5-10 mins.

once she was done she told me she was going to get me into one of the rooms a lot sooner, she moved me from the original 5th floor all the way up to floor 30th. She asked me who was going to be staying in the room and for the amount of keys i will be needing, i told her two keys.. she gave me free mai thai coupon for the bar, she looked at me and GF (she was waiting next to the wall with the luggage not next to me) and then she told "I'll give you another one so that you wont have to share with your GF" and then she laughed..then she gave me coffee cards (which i still have some) A **** LOAD OF THEM!!!

then she told me i was going to be able to get free breakfast for one person but that i had to pay for the second person (i think breakfast was $28 per person). my room at the 30th floor was the deluxe diamond head view.. im not even sure what the 5th floor room was but that lady was very helpful and gave me a really good upgrade. i think the value for the upgrade was about $700 in total for the week with the breakfast.

hopefully next time i go it happens again!!       

troytraveler Silver

I don't think you will get Marriott points if you booked through Hawaiian airlines package. Waikiki Marriott is very nice. I highly recommend.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...