3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2015 9:07 PM by chris0311 RSS

Tough choice in Bangkok

chris0311 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I am having a bit of difficulty choosing a hotel in Bangkok. I will be spending half a week in Bangkok and two and half weeks between Phuket, Chiang Mai and Udon Thani. For the Bangkok portion of the trip I am torn between the JW, Renaissance and the Bangkok Marriott. I like all the different bars and the style of the JW. The suites look really nice in the Renaissance and I am leaning towards staying there. I am also a sucker for rooftop pools and the Bangkok Marriott's looks nice.

Does anyone have anyone experiences or insight they would like to share about the aforementioned properties? I think some advice from fellow world travelers would be what I need to make the correct choice. If you have any Thailand tips, tricks and "must see" that would also be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bangkok, Thailand Marriott Hotels & Resorts Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit
Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Bangkok, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
  • Re: Tough choice in Bangkok
    cjkatl Platinum

I've stayed at all three and have decided my future stays will be at whichever is the cheapest, or the lowest points redemption. Each has its own strengths, and each is an excellent hotel. You won't go wrong with any choice, as it's a matter of which great choice you wind up with. For a stay in a couple weeks, the Ren and FS were the same price. I have chosen the FS.

Here are the advantages of each:

• JW: Near the BTS, but not a pretty walk to get there. The rooms are nice, but the other two properties have better rooms. The CL is one of the best in the Marriott system. The staff is excellent. Of the three, it has the nicest lobby.
    • Ren: The rooms are nice, the staff is excellent. The CL is very nice, but not as big as the JW and just a hair below the FS. When I was there in Oct the noise from the construction next door, which I believe is still going on, was noticeable. You can get to the BTS without having to walk on the street, and you can also access the SkyWalk, which allows you to get to all the shopping malls without having to be on the street. (Bangkok streets and sidewalks are not as pedestrian friendly as many other places.) I like their restaurant the best of the three hotels, with the JW being a close second on this.
    • FS: It's the newest. It's located several stations away from the other two hotels, a little removed from the typical tourist areas, which can be a plus or minus. You will have to ride the BTS a little longer to get most places, but I did not find this a problem. The CL isn't as awesome as the JW, but has more seating than the Ren's. The views from this hotel are spectacular. There is a rooftop bar that takes advantage of the views, but even the views from the room (and in some rooms, the huge tub) are breathtaking. (This and the construction are what made me choose this hotel for the March trip.) The workout facilities are the nicest of the three. You will have to travel ten minutes longer to get to most of the tourist sites.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have specific questions. I will be in Bangkok within the month, so if there is anything else you want me to check at the FS, let me know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Love this. Such a helpful and insightful reply, cjkatl!

Below is another thread that that may have information you'll find useful, chris0311:

Re: how about the Renaissance hotel in Bangkok ?

Hope this helps.

chris0311 Platinum

Perfect response. Thank you for all the information. I especially appreciate the info about the street level. That is always a concern and now I can plan for that. Based on your information I have narrowed it down to the Ren or FS. I like the pictures of the rooms in Ren but it sounds like FS has more of what I love in hotels. Thanks for the assist!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...