4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2015 9:19 AM by jerryl RSS

Have a question for Marriott or the Community

mgcandfnc Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently Platinum and potentially about to roll over to Platinum Life (750 nights & 2M points +)

At the end of the awards year 2013 I had 11 nights rolled over into my 2014 year.  In 2014 we posted exactly 75 nights, therefore (coincidently) a total of 86 for 2014.  However when we moved forward into 2015 the MR team indicated that the 11 extra nights for 2015 (86 - 75) could not roll forward saying that this included rolled over nights.

So my question is what is the point of rolling over nights if this happens at the end of the next year ?  I am not particularly precious about this but trying to get my brain around the maths of it.  One interpretation is that you can roll over nights to retain a status level -- in this case Platinum -- but only once.  Just asking the question so that other members can discuss or enlighten everyone on their experiences with roll over nights.

Cheers Murray

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Have a question for Marriott or the Community
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You're on the money, nights only rollover once, thus only nights STAYED in excess of your annual requirement according to your elite status on 31/12 rollover to the next year, thus:

2009 Start year as Plat, stay 100 nights, the 25 in excess of plat rollover

2010 Start year as Plat, stay 60 nights, with last years rollover the counter reads 85 nights meaning Plat retained for 2011  BUT NONE ROLLOVER to 2011, as less than 75 nights were actually stayed in stayed in 2010

2011 Start year as Plat, stay 60 nights. With no rollover a bust to gold awaits. Note, although you stayed over 50 nights you DO NOT ROLLOVER anything as only nights in excess of your status requirement on 31/12 rollover.

2012 Start year as Plat, relegated to Gold in February, stay 60 nights, that's 10 more than Gold so those 10 nights rollover to 2013

2013 Start year as Gold, stay 70 nights, which when added to the 10 rolled over from 2012 gives promotion to Plat near the yearend. NOTE that by year-end the counter says 80 nights, BUT NONE ROLLOVER to 2014, as less than 75 nights were actually stayed in 2013

2014 Start year as Plat, etc, etc, etc.... Till you get to lifetime and all this no longer matters!!!

So the rollover helps towards the next years requirement. For those that struggle to make the annual numbers it's a real boon, and its of real use. Take my situation:

MY usual travel year is about 50 nights combined work and leisure. However I do not stay everywhere Marriott is, I therefore have to use other options, so struggle most years to make gold, never mind plat.

In 2009 I had a mega travel year and stayed 100 nights. I made Plat and rolled over 25 nights. In 2010 I stayed a more normal 40 nights plus my credit card got me to 50. Added to my 25 rollovers from 2009, I just kept Plat.

Alas with no rollovers from 2010 I couldn't climb the mountain to plat in 2011 and ended up back at gold which I managed  to maintain with a meeting each year but in 2014 I had another mega travel year crediting 122 nights thus leaving me with 47 rollovers for 2015, which is just as well, my travel has fallen again this year and with my holiday being a redemption-fest I'll not make 30 paid nights this year! Luckily my 47 night rollover from 2014 will see me maintain Plat for 2016.

I like it. It works well for me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mgcandfnc Platinum 5 Reviews

Bob -- sincere thanks for your comprehensive reply. I am actually now 4 nights off reaching Platinum for life which we hope to achieve by the end of April .   One thought -- I assume you are aware that if you are a tad short of the 75 needed for Platinum you can buy an upgrade with points.  50K from memory.  Did that one year when we only achieved around 65 nights.

Thanks again

Murray

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, I'm very much aware of buyback, I've posted on other threads about its value.

Put quickly, buying back Silver is not worth it, buying back Plat can be (break even is 30 FS stays totalling 50 nights @$200/nt) and buying back Gold is always worth it for any member staying more than about 10 nights pa in FS hotels.

I did consider buyback when I slipped down from Plat to Gold in 2012 but as I value Plat only for the points it generates, 500 arrival points and extra 2.5 per $, I worked out that in about 20 stays totalling 30 nights (my typical travel pattern) I'd only get back about 25,000, so took the fall to Gold.

I maintained Gold with 30 nights, plus 10 credit card nights and a £50 meeting (10 nights credit) until travel picked up again in 2014. However high travel is rare in my business and in reality years like 2009 and 2014 are really once-a-decade events. Luckily I've now made LTGold so don't need to sweat renewal of the status I REALLY value!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

That is why things like credit card ( 15 nights) and birthday 1 night become a way to get to a goal if one misses actual nights stayed

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...