Due to a snow storm in my area I spent last night in the local Courtyard Hotel near my work. Inside my hotel room I found this new remote control called "The Clean Remote". As most of us know the remote control can be the filthiest item in a hotel room. This remote was designed to make it easy for Housekeeping to clean. I'm curious if Insiders have seen these pop up at any other Marriott properties.
Yes, I've seen them i a couple best western and other small hotels about a year ago. They seem good but they lack an input button, menu, or guide. So they can only do up and down, volume, and channel change. I dont think these would work well with hotels that have pay per view or anything more than basic cable
When I think to do so, I clean the hotel/motel TV remote with "Purel", or some form of disinfectant, but my wife is more conscientious than I about all kinds of "bugs" - including those hiding in the beds. But, here are a few more our "quirks":
1. What about using the bathroom lavatory. Do you fill it and wash your face, or shave, using the sink water? Perhaps it's better to use the faucet water? Neither my wife, nor I, would even take a tub bath in the hotel!
2. Even though the hotel maid changes the bed linens daily, my wife always takes clean pillow cases from home.
3. I usually wash the room coffee pot before using.
4. We don't put our luggage, nor clothes, on the hotel floor; we always use a table, or chair.
5. We generally use liquid soap, either provided by the hotel or what we bring, rather than a bar of soap.
6. We often request that the maid not spray our room with any kind of air freshener.
1. I never fill. I always keep the water running.
2. Since when do hotel maids change the bed linens daily? From what I understand, they change them after every stay. IE...you're there for a week, you have the same linens for a week, then when you check out they change them for the next guest. All they do is make the bed.
3. I never use in room coffee pots.
4. I always use a luggage rack or a solid/non-porous surface for my luggage.
5. I always prefer liquid soap over bar soap, even at home. Bar soap just seems unsanitary to me.
6. I don't mind the air fresheners too much unless they're ridiculously overpowering.
I have seen those remotes before but not in Marriott Properties. There great for running an alcohol wipe over them and all the buttons are flush, thereby getting a good covering.
Another trick an airline flight attendant told me was to simply put the TV remote in a small clear plastic bad, and operate the remote with the bag overtop. I've tried it and it really works great, no having to self clean the remote which probably doesn't do anything anyway especially on a standard remote with raised buttons. Plus its quick and easy, just throw a couple of bags in your overnight case and your set.
This is neat!! I have never seen it before, but I like the concept.
jamesdean, good trick!!
Thanks for sharing!!