15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2015 11:38 AM by 77paris RSS

The Clean Remote

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Due to a snow storm in my area I spent last night in the local Courtyard Hotel near my work.  Inside my hotel room I found this new remote control called "The Clean Remote".  As most of us know the remote control can be the filthiest item in a hotel room.  This remote was designed to make it easy for Housekeeping to clean.  I'm curious if Insiders have seen these pop up at any other Marriott properties.

CleanRemote1.jpg

cleanremote2.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Charlottesville - University Medical Center
  • Re: The Clean Remote
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Yes, I've seen them i a couple best western and other small hotels about a year ago. They seem good but they lack an input button, menu, or guide.  So they can only do up and down, volume, and channel change. I dont think these would work well with hotels that have pay per view or anything more than basic cable

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

That, and their made to make it easier for housekeeping to clean...doesn't mean they actually clean them.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Nope, haven't seen one.  I've been at the FFI White Marsh since July and the remote is one of the first things I use my disenfecting cloths on each week.  Very clean hotel but I still disenfect everything.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I saw one at the Best Western in Bryce.  The ides is appealing but as commented, do the house keepers clean them?

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Never  saw one but seems like a great idea

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

great idea

chris0311 Platinum

It's never even crossed my mind that the remote would be filthy but it makes sense. Ugh looks like I will be bringing wipes with me from now on.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

When I think to do so, I clean the hotel/motel TV remote with "Purel", or some form of disinfectant, but my wife is more conscientious than I about all kinds of "bugs" - including those hiding in the beds. But, here are a few more our "quirks":

1. What about using the bathroom lavatory. Do you fill it and wash your face, or shave, using the sink water? Perhaps it's better to use the faucet water? Neither my wife, nor I, would even take a tub bath in the hotel!

2. Even though the hotel maid changes the bed linens daily, my wife always takes clean pillow cases from home.

3. I usually wash the room coffee pot before using.

4. We don't put our luggage, nor clothes, on the hotel floor; we always use a table, or chair.

5. We generally use liquid soap, either provided by the hotel or what we bring, rather than a bar of soap.

6. We often request that the maid not spray our room with any kind of air freshener.

Jsucool76 Gold

1. I never fill. I always keep the water running.

2. Since when do hotel maids change the bed linens daily? From what I understand, they change them after every stay. IE...you're there for a week, you have the same linens for a week, then when you check out they change them for the next guest. All they do is make the bed.

3. I never use in room coffee pots.

4. I always use a luggage rack or a solid/non-porous surface for my luggage.

5. I always prefer liquid soap over bar soap, even at home. Bar soap just seems unsanitary to me.

6. I don't mind the air fresheners too much unless they're ridiculously overpowering.

chris0311 Platinum

I think it would depend on the hotel. I have seen some properties do every day, every other day and if it goes past that I usually call down and get the linen changed.

shasha55 Platinum

no I haven't. wish I had!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I always rinse out the glasses real well as I have never really seen glasses on the maid cart so they must have been there and assume they have been rinsed only or not at all

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I have seen those remotes before but not in Marriott Properties. There great for running an alcohol wipe over them and all the buttons are flush, thereby getting a good covering.

Another trick an airline flight attendant told me was to simply put the TV remote in a small clear plastic bad, and operate the remote with the bag overtop. I've tried it and it really works great, no having to self clean the remote which probably doesn't do anything anyway especially on a standard remote with raised buttons. Plus its quick and easy, just throw a couple of bags in your overnight case and your set.

JD

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

This is neat!! I have never seen it before, but I like the concept.

jamesdean, good trick!!

Thanks for sharing!!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Had a "clean remote" recently @ a new Springhill Suites……really liked it.  Always have been wary of regular remotes since they have many little crevices for nasty little germs….it is a nice touch!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...