15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2015 10:42 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

Ritz Carlton Visa vs. Amex Platinum

chris0311 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I currently have the Amex Platinum and I am considering getting the Ritz CC. With the amount of money I spend/nights I stay at Marriott properties it seems crazy not to take advantage of all the perks that come with the Ritz. The problem is I do not think I can justify holding both cards at the same time. The annual fee is quite hefty on both cards. Plus a lot of the perks I loved with the Platinum has lost their luster. The free lounge access is a bit useless because I only fly First/Business class now and both tickets come with (better) lounges. The $200 incidental reimbursement perk is also useless because I primarily fly Emirates. Even trying to use the buying airline gift certificates "trick" does not work(or at least it did not work for me). That pretty much just leaves the concierge service. A lot of people think it is useless but it has come in handy multiple times.

What are your opinions on this matter? Would you keep both or toss the Platinum? Did you face a similar dilemma before getting the Ritz?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ritz Carlton Visa vs. Amex Platinum
    Jsucool76 Gold

Really something that should have been thought about when the 140k offer was live. If you're not in any rush, I'd say wait it out and see if it comes around again. And think about applying in december because then you can double dip the airline incidental in dec '15, jan '16 and if you choose to cancel the card, you've gotten the most possible value.

Right now the ritz card is offering a free night e-cert for a tier 1-4 ritz, which can still be worth more than the 395$ annual fee by itself.

The lounge access that comes with the ritz isn't super great, remember, you'll be missing out on centurion lounges if you ditch the platinum (though if you have another amex, you can get in for $50)

The airline incidental charge on the ritz is hit and miss with gift cards, so don't be 100% set on using it for that, but it can still be used for checked bag fees and whatnot.

I also have found the JPM concierge to be fantastic. Remember, you won't be earning ultimate rewards points (like you earn membership rewards with the plat) but you'll be earning marriott points. The benefit being the 10% bonus on all points earned through card spend every year. Gold status with 10k spend, and plat with 75k spend is also fantastic, but you wont earn elite nights towards lifetime status like you will with the marriott card.

Now, the biggest (in my opinion) benefit of the ritz card - You call the customer service #, and immediately get connected to someone in the US, no waiting, no computers, nothing. Just call, 1 ring, customer service. They're fantastic. (Concierge just has a brief "press 1 for english" and then you're immediately connected to a concierge)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

This is a really good topic to pose to the Insiders community, chris0311. A wonderful contribution!

Awesome response as well, Jsucool76. Great insight.

westof30 Platinum

Work gives me AMEX Platinum, a big change is with the airline club lounges.  You used to be able to bring up to 3 traveling guest with you but not anymore.  It is just yourself that is allowed into the room.  Unless it is a AMEX run lounge, which they are building at airports currently.

I do not have the Ritz card, I have never stayed at a Ritz.  I do have the Marriott signature card only because I am a point *****....  My biggest issue with the Marriott Card is Chase customer service and fog, I mean fraud protection.  I travel for work and I can be in 3-4 cities or even 2-3 Countries in one day.  My card gets declined several times a year even when I call Chase and give them a list of Countries I will be in ahead of time, very frustrating.

I tried the Visa Black card but its just not worth the annual $$ for the benefits I would get since I already have the AMEX.

I really would like to find a CC that provides decent benefits that would reward me with issues

Jsucool76 Gold

The lounge access on the amex platinum is still a much bigger benefit than the lounge access on the ritz. Access to way more lounges with the plat card.

The ritz card is of a different breed than the marriott card though. It operates under the investment banking side of Chase (JP Morgan) rather than as a standard chase credit product. The Customer service line, billed as "JP Morgan Priority Services" immediately connects you to the JPM Executive Offices. No hold times, no menus, just call up and "Thank you for calling the JPM Executive Office, this is <Person>." I've never had a CSR from the office be anything but helpful. Same goes with the JPM concierge (so far). My card has never been denied for fraud, and when "suspicious" charges did show up, JPM called me and told me about them, and let me continue to use my card until the new one showed up, and removed all the fraudulent charges.

There was some charges I needed to dispute as well, and when I did, no questions were asked. The credits were placed on my account within 10 minutes of the dispute and that was that.

westof30 Platinum

With the Ritz card;

1) Do you still earn Marriott Points

2) What is the yearly fee?

Jsucool76 Gold

Yes, and there was a bonus of 140,000 marriott points after 3k spend in 3 months. This offer is still available by sending a secure message after applying and specifically requesting it. 100% success rate from what I've seen on other forums.

it's $395 a year, it includes a $300/calendar year airline incidental reimbursement, LoungeClub membership, marriott gold status the first year, and each following year with 10k spend, or platinum status with 75k spend, PRIMARY rental car insurance, 10% bonus on all points earned from card spend, 3 upgrades to the ritz club level each year (if you stay at a ritz), a $100 resort credit on EVERY ritz stay of 2 nights or more.Trip cancellation insurance, travel accident insurance (up to $1,000,000), roadside assistance (up to $50 value free), emergency medical/dental insurance (up to $2,500), trip delay reimbursement (up to $500/ticket), baggage delay insurance ($100/day, up to $500), and lost baggage insurance (up to $3,000)

Authorized users receive all the travel benefits (rental car insurance, travel insurance,baggage insurance, all those goodies their own LoungeClub card) with no fee for additional cards. They won't receive the upgrade certs,or gold status (though they should receive the $100 credit on stays at ritz, using promo code (it's either Z34 or Z37, i dont remember) )

You also get the standard fare of purchase protection ($10k/claim, max of $50k/year), return protection ($500/item, max $1000/year if the vendor won't take your item back) , price protection (price drop within 90 days of purchase, $500/item, $1500/year).

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey westof30, I had our team look into the Ritz card to ensure accurate information. Here's what I found:

The 140,000 bonus offer has been removed, unless you have the promo code from back when it was offered. The standard offer is one free night at a Tier 1-4 after spending $2000 in new purchases in the first three months of opening the account.

Please note that upgrades cannot be combined with other offers, and members must contact the special phone number on the back of the credit card to book. Also, please note that the $100 hotel credit is towards dining, spa, or other hotel recreational activities and must be booked in advance.

Let me know if I can help clarify anything else!

Jsucool76 Gold

while the 140,000 point offer isn't publicly available, you can be granted it through a secure message after approval for the card. chase is very good about matching offers.

westof30 Platinum

Jsucool76 wrote:

while the 140,000 point offer isn't publicly available, you can be granted it through a secure message after approval for the card. chase is very good about matching offers.

I'm making the call today, I'll report what I can 'maybe' get.....

Jsucool76 Gold

I would highly suggest doing a secure message through your online chase account over calling. Calling will simply result in "We'll have to send this through the marketing team and see what happens"

westof30 Platinum

Jsucool,

I now understand.... This would only be able to happen after I not just get approved for the card, but actually 'sign up' for or 'accept' the card.

Jsucool76 Gold

Yes. But I've never had chase say "No" to me about a signup offer. There is actually quite a long thread just about getting the 140k ritz offer after it ended over on myfico. It's called "Ritz Chase Card (Getting the 140k)"

Ritz Chase Card (Getting the 140k points) - myFICO® Forums

westof30 Platinum

What is the main difference between Marriott points and Ritz points?

Jsucool76 Gold

No difference at all. Marriott rewards and ritz rewards are the same program. Since you already have a marriott account, any signup bonus and earnings from the card would be deposited into your marriott rewards account. Just need to put your rewards # on the application.

westof30 Platinum

CariJ wrote:

Hey westof30, I had our team look into the Ritz card to ensure accurate information. Here's what I found:

The 140,000 bonus offer has been removed, unless you have the promo code from back when it was offered. The standard offer is one free night at a Tier 1-4 after spending $2000 in new purchases in the first three months of opening the account.

Please note that upgrades cannot be combined with other offers, and members must contact the special phone number on the back of the credit card to book. Also, please note that the $100 hotel credit is towards dining, spa, or other hotel recreational activities and must be booked in advance.

Let me know if I can help clarify anything else!

Thank you for getting additional information.  Seems like many restrictions to use the perks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...