6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2015 9:57 AM by fschumpert RSS

Amsterdam,Ghent,Brussels. Need advice on side trips and places not to miss

meme08 Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

WWhenever planning a European vacation I always find the help of the Inside Community invaluable. In September my husband and Ai will spend 5 days in Ghent ( with side trips to Bruges, Antwerp, Lille), 2 days in Brussels and then take Thalys to Amsterdam. We plan on staying at Marriotts in each city. We went to Amsterdam on our honeymoon in the 70s so we would like to retrace our steps there and perhaps spend a day in The Hague,a day in Delft, and then somewhere else. All the time making Amsterdam Marriott our home base.

ANy advice would be much appreciated. I have perused the great photos that Jerrycoin has posted and will definitely take ProfChiara's advice and make a res at House of Elliott in Ghent Any more ideas?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Brussels, Belgium Marriott Hotels & Resorts Brussels Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Amsterdam,Ghent,Brussels. Need advice on side trips and places not to miss
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

IMG_0160.JPG

You're probably aware there is not a Marriott in Bruges (Brugge), but a wonderful one in Ghent (above) and also in Brussels....

Brussels-Ghent-2014 014.jpg

It's within walking distance of the Grand Place -

Brussels-Ghent-2014 016.jpg

On the backside of the Grand Place, to the right of the building in the center of this photo, is the Amigo Hotel, and if you want a fine meal, make reservations at the Italian Restaurant here Ristorante Bocconi - Rue de l' Amigo

In Amsterdam, I've stayed at the Renaissance, near the train station, but I'd recommend the Marriott on Stadhouderskade; it's near the major museums - Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum - (below)2011-Amsterdam & Paris 002.jpg

My favorite restaurant in Amsterdam is the Campo de' Fiori, Reguliersdwardsstraat, just off the Leidsestraat from the Leidesplein, near the flower market. Ask for directiions: http://www.campodefiori.nl

If you've never taken the canal tour, you can begin this within one block of the Marriott.

If you're going to rent an auto, there's a Hertz rental station on Overtoom, near the Marriott, and they will bring an auto to you at the Marriott, or you might be able to rent one there. I don't know how far you would want to drive, but there's a wonderful, Dutch village, near Hedel and  s-Hertogenbosch, HEUSDEN, just off the E25. Antwerpen (Antwerp) is also a nice place to visit.

If you going as far as the Hague, you might also visit Bastogne, NW of Luxemborg, and the village of Namur, capital of Wallonie, on the River Maas, just east of Charleroi, SE of Brussels. http://www.ville.namur.be - There's a wonderful citadelle there to visit, and place to eat inside.

Another side trip from Ghent, or Bruges, is the little town of Leper, which is in Flanders (Field of Flanders), and if interested, visit the WWI memorials and cemeteries here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amsterdam,Ghent,Brussels. Need advice on side trips and places not to miss
      meme08 Silver 1 Reviews

Thank you so much for the great advice. We will definitely be making a reservation at your favorite restaurant in Amsterdam & I have already booked the Amsterdam Marriott.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

If you're Platinum member, the Marriott offers a very nice breakfast buffet and evening snacks in concierge lounge. You can walk from the Marriott to the Campo Restaurant. There are a number of restaurants in the Leidesplein, but sorta touristy.

If you happen to be in Brugges during lunch/dinner, you might try the De Pottekijker Bistro/Restaurant:

http://www.de-pottekijker.be , located on hoek Ezelstraat, just inside the Ring Road, and not too far from the train station.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

meme08 - Welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders (MRI).  We have some fantastic people in the community with great European travel trips and I am sure they will chime in.  In the meantime, I encourage you to explore the "More Like This" column to the right of your post.  psudad did an extensive write-up of his 2013 trip which can be found at:

Re: Belgium - April 2013 - Our recent trip to Ghent, Brugge and Brussels

Enjoy the planning.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...