4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2015 11:29 PM by laketahoe RSS

Beware Marriott Vacation Club Points Program

platinum12345 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As a Platinum Rewards member and owner of 2 vacation club points weeks and now points alone; all I can say is stay away!  We were told that we would be able to use points for cruises, vacations, expeditions and airfare.  And you can if you want a value of $0.25 on the dollar!  We were specifically told that there was approximately a one-to-one value with airlines using Club Points.  It was shocking to find out that a $900 ticket would actually take 4,500 points!  They will mislead you and give you all kinds of promises that won't be factual.  DON'T make a huge mistake and buy into the Marriott Vacation Club Points Program!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware Marriott Vacation Club Points Program
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We also own MVCI points, but our sales rep was pretty up front about using the points for anything except actual MVCI stays.  He said it wasn't a very good deal to convert to MR points or use another way.  We love the MVCI properties, though, and have enjoyed stays at Ko Olina, World Center, Crystal Shores, and St. Kitts.  I also book MVCI properties using the MOD discount and have saved a lot on those stays.  So, to me, that discount adds some value. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

We have been MVC Destination Points members since 2012, and while we initially had reservations about the value of the program, especially since I travel on business and accumulate Marriott Reward points; nevertheless, we have enjoyed using our points for vacation villa stays. I would never waste the points - via Interval - on cruses, airline ticket, or foreign hotel purchases! But, that's just my opinion.

In addition to the enjoyment of the MVC villa stays, which we primarily use at East Coast properties since we can drive to them and take food with us, the points are "deeded property", for which we could later sell, or pass along to our children. At the price we paid for our points, their value has increased by some 25% today. So, if nothing else, it's a reasonably good investment for us. We recently considered purchasing additional points, but with the higher costs today, our original total investment was about the same as less points at today's price/point.

We're headed with our family to Hilton Head Grande Ocean again the end of this month for five nights, and having beach access, indoor, heated pool, along with cook-in facilities, along with other amenities,  will be a savings for us all.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I forgot to add that I used my MOD discount last summer to stay at BeachPlace Towers in Ft. Lauderdale for $84/night, and they upgraded me to an oceanfront room which would have been about $220 or more without the discount and upgrade.  Of course we paid a pretty penny for the timeshare interest, but a beachfront room for $84 in a nice resort with great amenities was a real find.  The Ritz Carlton next door was charging $699 for its rooms during that same week, and although that hotel is a beautiful property and very upscale it was probably not worth that much more money!  And I don't need to stay at the Ritz on every trip (although spouse and I stayed there a couple times for special occasions, and I do highly recommend).   I could have used MVCI points or MR points for the stay, but at that price, I thought paying cash and getting the discount was the best deal. 

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

My wife and I are satisfied with Marriot Vacation Club Points program.  We learn from experience what are the good and bad values for our vacation club points.  Cruises and airline tickets using vacation club points are not good deals.  Vacations at Marriott resorts and travel with Colette are good use of our vacation club points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...