19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2015 6:28 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Mother of All Qantas Airfare Sales, Right Here and Now.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Do you have some flexibility?  Round trip airfares to Australia or New Zealand from LAX, DFW or JFK starting at $999 for a very limited time.  Sale ends 3/3/2015.  Travel during May/June, minimum 10 days.  This is the best deal I've seen since about 2009.  If I were retired, I would already have a ticket in my hand!  The exchange rate is better than it's been in years too.

Deals on Flights to Australia | Qantas

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Marriott Hotels & Resorts Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Autograph Collection Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Mother of All Qantas Airfare Sales, Right Here and Now.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Are you calling me out pluto77 with that retired crack?

I would love to take action on that fare even from that place to the north of me that I don't much care for DFW, at least it's got Ft. Worth in the name, but as life would have it July/August travel is already taken care of thanks to the Mrs and a convention she is attending and a stupid low rate on a villa in PVR that I booked,

Dang it.....thanks for the information and where did you get it from Qantas directly?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hey, I'm not going to lie, I'm just plain jealous.   And darn those conventions on the Mexican Riviera, you poor folks!  If I weren't going to Paris and London in 2 weeks (for 2 weeks), I'd be all over those tickets as well.

I get emails from Qantas, I presume because I have an F/F account with them?  I just noticed that DFW isn't a n/s, you have to fly AA (Boeing) to LAX.  Btw, QF does fly 747's, just saying.

I know, I know it's all the wrong airlines/alliance partners.  Do you have some sort of lifetime status with UA?  Or what happens when all of your miles are spent?  Or are you hostage to your airport hub (like most of us probably are?)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The convention is not in PVR, but a month before we head to the Riveria in August.  QF did or used to have a DFW non-stop to MEL and it was on a B744, an airplane I still have not gotten to fly on.

As a million miler on CO I have lifetime Gold at this point until I go over 2 million then it's Platinum.  Right now we are somewhat judiciously spending UA miles and yes very much hostage to the HUB is right, just about anywhere non-stop particularly in the U.S.  Then there is Spirit....NOT

joshm Member

Wow. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing, pluto77!!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Anyone know anything about the Qantas Aussie AirPass?  Looks like you can buy a multi-flight package from LAX, SFO or DFW and get yourself to Australia and home, along with 2-3 domestic flights around Australia while you're there.  Looks like a pretty good deal, cost-wise.

Where are you seeing this?  On the Qantas website?

pluto77, there are a few different options at this site, and it looks like this deal only works for certain dates.  I might have to re-think the plan to us the MR vacation deal to get points at UA and do this instead.  Or maybe use the MR vacation deal to get points at Qantas instead of UA, although it's not as good a deal:

http://www.qantasvacations.com/aussieairpass/

Qantas also has some attractive vacation packages that include air from the US to Australia, domestic flights in Australia, and hotels/tours along the way.  So maybe I will save MR for another time and just go though Qantas.  If I understand the one world alliance, I might be able to use AA miles on Qantas or perhaps earn some AA miles for a Qantas flight - not sure how that works...

I have an inquiry into Qantas to see if upgrades to business class are available and what the cost is.  The fine print on the web page does say that upgrades are available.  Not sure I can do a 16 hour flight in coach with spouse and kids along!

PS - I am also checking Air New Zealand as the business class fares are lower there, and they are Star Alliance so maybe a way to coordinate with UA, use/earn UA points, etc.

Hi clebert,

I searched all over the Qantas website and couldn't find anything on their air pass offer, so appreciate your posting the link above.  This is a really good deal.  If I were headed down under, I would be all over it.  I think I would utilize this offer, plus then just use MR points for hotel stays (forgetting the MR or Qantas travel packages).  Yes, you can use AA miles to book Qantas flights and the other way around.  And also earn AA miles on Qantas flights (I've earned AS miles on Qantas flights).  The thing you have to be careful with, when converting MR points to airline miles, is that some of the foreign carriers (BA and AF immediately come to mind) charge usurperous taxes and fees, so even if you use miles, you still pay out the nose in taxes, fees and fuel surcharges, which makes converting points to miles for use on these foreign carriers very much not a good deal.  Not sure about Qantas however.

pluto77, thanks for the insight.  I did see that Qantas Vacations had a notice on the Aussie AirPass stating that those extra fees were included or waived, or something to that effect.  So I will examine carefully.  We are thinking about doing just what you mentioned since I have about 800,000 MR points and far less airline miles.  I've been using airline miles like crazy trying to commute between our two houses, both of which are near small airports with limited, expensive airfare options   Maybe we can even sneak in a few days at the Marriott Surfers Paradise which is going to have MVCI units soon since we have MVCI points to burn, along with MR points.  MVCI can also be used for airfare, but it's not a very favorable exchange compared to using MR points.

Okay.  My only suggestion is that, before you take out a Marriott travel package for the purpose of transferring Marriott points to Qantas or AA miles for use on a Qantas flight, do the research (book a pretend flight on Qantas metal using miles) and see how much they charge you for taxes, fees and fuel surcharges.  If it is no more than it would be on a U.S. based carrier, then you're golden.  I only say that, because one time we wanted to do Marriott points to AF miles, but were informed that after booking the flight to Paris on Air France, there was still going to be something like $1,600 in fees, taxes and fuel charges per ticket.  Insane, right?!!

Wow, an MVCI in Surfers Paradise sounds wickedly awesome.  I wonder if it is a new property or if they are converting an existing building (there used to be a F/S Marriott there, but it appears that not anymore.)

Ya, I live in a town with a small airport.  If not for Alaska Airlines, air travel from here would be a complete drag.  It still is expensive (over-priced) to fly anywhere that AS doesn't fly. Sometimes it pays to just drive to LAX or SMF.  When we do HI, we drive to SJC.

702rugbyref Platinum

Iwish I had vacation available as I would jump on this - best wishes!.

PS - Qantas Vacations tells me that you can purchase the Aussie AirPass or a Qantas Vacation in business/first class instead of economy, and obviously it costs more to go that route. I am going to get some quotes to see what they can do to price out business class from LAX-SYD and CNS-LAX.  Also, Air New Zealand has some business class seats on "sale" for about $5800 round trip from LAX to various points in Australia, and that is not too bad a price compared to other carriers.  We also priced a 10-day Disney tour for a family of 4, and that was $7000 per person WITHOUT AIRFARE to or from Australia or within Australia which about gave me a heart attack.  Thanks, but no thanks, Disney.  Qantas Vacations offers a similar package including airfare for about $2700 per person.

702rugbyref Platinum

I just checked my schedule and cannot swing any amount of time in order to fit availability with this Qantas sale.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...