6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2015 4:28 AM by dannyjswann82 RSS

Is there a flaw in Rollover nights?

dannyjswann82 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help with a query for rollover nights because from what I can see, they actually don't count for anything.

The link below is what is described on the Rewards website

Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

In my personal example, which I queried with Marriott Rewards,

In 2014, I stayed 129 nights.

51 of these were rolled over from 2013.

My expectation is that the 51 count towards maintaining my Platinum status.

75 nights, minus 51 means I need 24 paid nights. As I had 78 paid nights (129 - 51), I therefore expected to roll over 54 nights into 2015 (78 paid - 24 used towards maintaining status = 54)

What Marriott Rewards told me was:

What has actually happened is from 129 nights in total, 51 have been deducted as they were roll over, leaving 78 nights paid. 75 needed to maintain status therefore rolled 3 nights.

On that basis, what did the 51 roll over nights actually achieve or count towards? As far as I can see, nothing. However, if I am fundamentally missing something here, I'd be grateful to be corrected.

The other reason I question this is I have rolled nights for the last 4 or 5 years and it has never been done like this so I question if something has been changed. I asked them to send me my last 4 years statement summaries but no resposne.

As I've just been made a Platinum Premier I decided to send it to their 24 hour dedicated team... because I think that's all you get for being Platinum Premier.

Grateful for any help or answers people may have.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is there a flaw in Rollover nights?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

The roll over nights from 2013 were intended to help you achieve 2014 which of course you didnt need since you got it with stays. From my history they do go away and the only roll over into 2015 would be the 3 nights

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

My experience (and commentary on Flyertalk supports) is that it takes a PhD in math to grasp rollover nights.

However, the most confusing part is that: Rollover nights do not rollover. As Jerry states, your actual earned nights in 2014 were 78-from all sources. Therefore three rolled over. The nights credited from 2013 only boosted your numbers in 2014 then they go away.

vickisocal Platinum

The 51 rollover nights help in 2 ways- You got them twice for lifetime, and if you had only stayed 24 nights, you would have maintained Plat.

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

The 51 nights rolled over from 2013 to 2014 cannot be counted again as nights stayed in 2014.  I too felt "robbed" when this happened to me.  But it makes sense to me now.

dannyjswann82 Platinum

Thank you for all your comments, which are pretty much in line with what Rewards are saying.

I understand you can't roll the same nights 2 years running.

I still have this issue with the 51 nights actually counting for nothing because it would appear I earnt so many I didn't need them, why should the calculation change for 'very loyal' customers.

I'll wait and see if Rewards respond any further on the basis I still have the query outstanding with them.

Thanks once again all.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...