20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2015 1:55 AM by doddsy69 RSS

From Gold to Platinum

ljharmony Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If someone is Marriott Rewards Gold from being a United Premier, do I have to earn just an ADDITIONAL 25 nights to move to Platinum or have to earn another 75 nights to be Platinum?

Again, now is MR Gold because I am a United Premier and I have not earned the 50 nights for Gold.

Thanks for any thought!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: From Gold to Platinum
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Hello ljharmony,

I believe the answer is that you would need to achieve 75 nights.  The same would apply for me as a Marriott Platinum who is granted Silver status with United - I would have to earn Gold outright, not just the difference between Silver and Gold. 

To confirm I am tagging our helpful Marriott staff - joshm, KatieC, melissaerb, lindseyh, and CariJ

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jakeal,

Thx.  Ok, we will wait for the helpful staff to confirm.  The requirement to earn from "0" and not the incremental nights or mileage is vice versa for the complimentary Gold for United Premier and comp. Premier Silver for MR Platinum.

This logic doesn't encourage a complimentary member to increase his/her business with the new merchant.  For example, I am comp. MR Gold and enjoy all the Gold benefits.  And if I am motivated to stay another 25 nights, that DOESN'T bring me any additional benefits at all.

In fact, no additional benefits for another 50 nights.

I need to stay another 75 nights b4 seeing any additional benefits from comp. Gold to Platinum.  Same thing applies to comp. Premier Silver.  Any thought from anyone?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I guess the logic is status is historical not forward so this arrangement may go away. But agree with you the intent is to get Marriott people to fly United and United people to stay at Marriott so one would think they would look forward also

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

ljharmony - I hope I am wrong as it would be great to have a head start on United Gold rather than starting from zero. 

I am confident joshm will get us the answer.  Thanks joshm

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I have United Silver via my Marriott Platinum and when I "View progress" it shows me still working my way to Silver status.

ndn Platinum

I know I am right. I got Gold from the Ritz. I have 27 nights so far this year. It started at 0, not 50.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

The Marriott card on the other hand was advertised when I signed up for it as giving you automatic Silver. But, it did so via a credit of 15 nights. So, even though Silver had dropped to 10 nights you still get the 15 night credit for the card and start earning from 15 instead of 0.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think you are correct jakeal. I don't fly enough to qualify for United status, and only get Silver because I'm a Marriott Platinum. Here's a partial screenshot from the United website

partner.PNG

My United account shows 0 segments flown toward premier status (that will change in about a week). No indication that I've got any sort of a head start on reaching the next level.

United Golds still have a considerable advantage over Marriott Platinums in this partnership. The benefits of Marriott Gold far exceed those of United Silver. Still, I'll take the upgrade to economy comfort and the slim hope of FC upgrades on Untied just because I stay at Marriott a lot. Better than no status at all.

Message was edited by: bejacob

ndn Platinum

Except if you travel to a busy place full of elite gold, platinum, 1k, and global services flyers, such as San Francisco...  In that case, you will often not even have any middle Economy + seats available by the time you are allowed to book them.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yeah, or if you live in Europe so all the United flights are Tran-Atlantic and so you aren't even eligible for the complimentary upgrade list. But, of course, then you're eligible on the small commuter flight from their hub to wherever you need to go when there is no real first class to speak of.

ndn Platinum

Well I just got platinum..lets see how long UA Silver takes to be added after registering for RewardsPlus.

joshm Member

Thanks for the shout out, jakeal.

Happy to help!

joshm Member

Happy to look into this for you, ljharmony!

I'll follow up with more information.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

So if you are united premier you get gold with Marriott . But if you book vacations by Marriott you do not get credit for nights stayed . That sounds fair Marriott !

ndn Platinum

When you are "given" status without earning it through nights stayed, you don't get anything other than the status. In other words, if you are "given" Marriott Gold through the Ritz-Carlton credit card or through RewardsPlus from United Premier Gold, you will receive only the status. You will have to earn 75 nights to go to platinum.

joshm Member

ndn,

You are correct. The team has informed me (confirming your recent post) that you would need to earn the 75 Elite nights in a calendar year to earn Platinum status. A good question to pose to the forum.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

They told me it would take up to two weeks. It activated the next day. However, today (2 weeks later) I just checked and I seem to have dropped back down to no status.

ndn Platinum

@7 I got mine same day--in fact, I got upgraded to Silver during a flight....

Thanks to all.  Surprised this topic generated much conversation, good though.

MR Platinum is losing out bc MR Gold is much more practical and useful than UA Premier.

MR Gold give UA Elite free upgrade, free access to Marriott lounge which offers brkfast, evening "dinner", soda, coffee, tea, water, etc.

UA Premier Silver give MR Platinum Group 2 boarding, Premier Access at TSA (one can get TSA Pre-Board for cyring out loud), anything else????  United Visa give you Group 2 boarding too.

I think United told Marriott Corporate: Take it or leave it.

Thanks ndn, jkreal

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I Had just turned silver on ua then turned platinum on marriott felt slightly cheated tbh all the perks seem to be heavily stacked on United gold members side

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...