93 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2015 10:08 PM by solkua RSS

Not credited for a stay booked under TVL code

beenaroundtheworld Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the Marriott CDG airport using a travel industry rate code "tvl". It was not a super discounted rate the night was EUR 143.00.

Did not get normal credit had to call INTL customer care and ultimatelly Marriott Rewards. Was informed this was a "famtastic" rate and a corporate rate and not eligible for stay or points?? Have received credit on the travel industry rate on previous stays at this hotel and others. Saw discussions treads from the early 2000s, most recently 2012, with members having similar experiences. Per the research on the 2012 discussion -- the answer was TVL should be credited as a stay under Marriott Rewards Rules.

On the rate rules nothing is stated about being ineligible for rewards credit.  On the rules page Marriott Associate and Friends and Family rates are exempt from credit and it also appears as a blurb in those specific rate rules. This sounds like a coding issue to me similar to medical coding errors. If the code is off you don't get credit. The Rewards Supervisor is calling this a contract rate -- which they define in parenthis on their rules page as rooms booked by a company at an ongoing basis?!? Also very confusing.

Any one out there experienced this problem recently?? Suggested to Marriott Rewards if this is the case they could easily update the rate rules and program rules so Reward Members looking for credit would avoid this rate option. If it is a coding problem do you need to take it up with the hotel on check out?? Or, how do you received credit?? This appears to be an ongoing issue and it really should be addressed and clarifiled ASAP.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Not credited for a stay booked under TVL code
    joshm Member

beenaroundtheworld,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this, and sharing in the way that have done so here. I'm going to pass this along to our team, and would also like to get you the support you need! Please, send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the best way to reach you. From there, I'll get you connected to our team for help.

Thanks again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

Are you eligible to use the TVL code?     

scottdinap Platinum

I am also experiencing the same thing- stays booked with the TVL code (yes, I am eligible) are not being credited to my account.  I stayed in 2 different Marriott properties using the TVL code in the USA in early February, and received credit.

I stayed in a Marriott property in Nice, France in mid-February, and London the end of February, both using the TVL code- no credit for the stays.  Will follow up with Marriott Rewards when I return to the USA.

Looking for updated information- I certainly do hope this is a 'glitch' in the Marriott Rewards system, as this will definitely influence my hotel choice.
    (I average 200 nights/year, and I book rooms for myself and 3 others- so Marriott would lose close to 800 booking nights/year just through me!)

mozbob Silver

Same problem only recently happening to me. Credits were only added after some lengthy discussion and involvement of the hotel directly.  Helpdesk agent mentioned that something has changed that is not reflected in T&Cs or rate rules, but nevertheless applied. She was going to check with US head office, but never came back.  Would really like a statement from Marriott to understand what's going on.

In the meantime I've chosen revert back to SPG, who continues to award all credits for those stays.

joshm Member

Happy to seek clarity around this for you, mozbob.

Stay tuned. I'll follow up with what I find out concerning your post.

joshm Member

Hello mozbob,

Apologies on the delay. It took some time to sort through some of the information that was being exchanged regarding this topic.

After discussing with the team, I discovered that the travel industry rates do not earn Elite Nights or points. These are considered contracted rates. 

Concerning the credits earned for this in the past, it seems that hotels sometimes error in posting these stays but Marriott Rewards cannot duplicate that error. So, if you get credit from one hotel and not from the other and call Marriott Rewards, the team will work with the policy in place.

The above being said, it isn't explicitly mentioned in the T"s & C's. Below is the entire "earning points" section of the terms:

1. A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. To ensure Points are automatically posted to the correct Membership Account, the Member's Rewards Program Membership Number must be present on his/her room folio and up to two additional rooms, as applicable.

2. Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates or gift cards, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates or gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.

Note: At The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are room rate, (ii) room service food and beverage, (iii) in-room movies, (iv) phone calls, and (v) in-room mini bar purchases. Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services.

3. Points will not be given, nor Rewards honored, at any subsidiary or affiliate of Company other than participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, unless otherwise advertised. If a hotel ceases to be a participating hotel, all stays subsequent to such date will not be eligible to earn Points regardless of when the reservation was made.

4. Points and elite night credit may be earned for stays completed within 30 days prior to the Member’s enrollment, if such credit is requested in writing, along with a copy of the paid hotel receipt, within 60 days of the stay.

5. Points earned while staying at any participating Marriott brand hotel or Ritz-Carlton hotel located outside the United States will be credited based on the U.S. dollar conversion rate for the local currency at time of checkout for all qualifying charges made during the stay.

6. No other person except the Member may earn Points for his/her Membership Account. Points for a room shared by two Rewards Program Members will only be awarded to one Rewards Program Member.

7. Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. If the room is master-billed, the charges are not eligible for Points or elite night credits.

If the Member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays the hotel directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive Points and elite night credits for the stay. However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis, master-billed rooms are not eligible to earn points or elite night credit. Military rates at certain overseas locations are subject to local restrictions and may be ineligible for points or elite night credit.

8. Rooms booked at the Marriott friends and family or the associate rate or at The Ritz-Carlton friends and family or the associate rate are not eligible to earn Points or elite night credits.

9. Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, etc. are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking source.

This bring up a great point that is consistency between policies and the T's and C's. I've underlined the content most relevant to this topic, and will be passing this to our team to review, in order to prevent future confusion.

If you would like to speak with a member of the team directly about this, I would be happy to connect you. Just say the word!

Thanks for posting, and I hope this helps!

r.sharp Platinum

Hi joshm, TVL rates are NO contract rates. These rates (if available) are flexible by the day and are sometimes higher than the cheapest unrestricted rates.

I'm staying many times at Marriott hotels when on duty for my airline on a "contracted rate" which is always lower than a TVL rate. These contracted rates are not eligible as mentioned in the T&C's.

So TVL rates booked and paid by a Reward Member are eligible

joshm Member

Thanks for posting, r.sharp.

The information I provided in my post was relayed to me by the team itself. I'm going to respond and seek clarity around the classification of TVL as a "contracted rate", as there seems to be confusion around this.

I'll follow up with more information.

travelgame Platinum 1 Reviews

Joshm, This is clearly a change in policy.  TVL is not a contract rate.  A Crew Room is a contracted rate between a hotel and a corporation; however, TVL is a discount code that is offered independently by hotels.  Some offer it, some don't.  Many times the AAA or Senior Discount is a better rate.  A few years ago the Friends and Family rate also earned points and nights, until a change was made and clearly updated in the Terms and Conditions.  As a courtesy, the least Marriott Rewards could have done was to update the Terms and Conditions to add TVL to item number 8. 

Many of us are dedicated Marriott Rewards members with Elite Status.  I myself am Platinum.  The nights and points are extremely important to our yearly and lifetime status.  While I understand Marriott Rewards is completely within their rights to make changes, it is unfair to make this change without notification, when the impact is so great to your dedicated members. 

scottdinap Platinum

Perhaps a Forum Moderator with Marriott connections can reply to this, or the other threads on the same subject?  Getting NO support here from Marriott.

vickisocal Platinum

This is what was said on Flyertalk awhile back:

The travel industry discounted rate is open to both TA's and others. The more discounted "famtastic" rate however is only available to TA's who've completed the Marriott Excellence study program and who can present valid program certificates upon check-in along with travel I.D.

The first type is eligible for MR credit, the second type "famtastic" is not.

beenaroundtheworld Gold

I was booked on the TVL rate and my stay at CDG airport Marriott was reported to Marriott Rewards as a FAMtastic rate. I am not a travel agent and therefore do not know about or use the FAMtastic rates. The problem seems to be a "coding issue" but when you call Marriott rewards or communicate with guest services they say the Travel Industry rate is a contract rate and therefore not eligible for credit. Many of us on this tread have used the travel industry rate in the past and have received Marriott Rewards credit. Has the policy changed? I have bills from previous stays at the same hotel on the TVL rate that posted?? Very confusing.

travelgame Platinum 1 Reviews

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

The TVL rate is eligible for nights and points credits.  The Rewards Terms and Conditions does not say otherwise, unlike when the change was made to the Friends and Family Rate.  TVL has been and should continue to be eligible.

dkbrigs27th Platinum

I too have had problems receiving credits for TVL. I've never had an issue until now. I'm not happy with Marriott not communicating the change.

teresi Platinum

I have had the same problem here recently with Marriott I'm a platinum Premier member with a history of staying only at Marriott's for 14 years. I recently had two different stays at Marriott properties and after waiting the suggested 10 days my stays never posted to my account. So I called the rewards desk yesterday and was informed that Marriott has changed something with their policy and if you book a room using the travel industry rate you will no longer get credit for the stay and you were no longer be awarded any points for the stay. I spoke to two different supervisors and was told the same thing by both. They also told me that they were not even aware of the change that Marriott had made until members started calling and complaining that their stays were not being credited and they were not getting points. I also found out that when you check in your offered your arrival gift of 500 bonus points and if you select the 500 point bonus points you also will not receive those either. My company exclusively uses Marriott and has for about the past 14 to 15 years I really don't see any loyalty from Marriott for them changing this and not even sending out an email or notification or anything or compensating me in anyway. I was told from the supervisor at the rewords test that there was nothing that they could do. And the one girl was very rude and told me if you want your points then pay the regular rate.

khudfly Platinum

I am a lifetime Platinum member and have just found that my entire week stay in MIA is now not allowed to receive points because it was booked under the TVL code.  Even though there is no mention anywhere on the Marriott website of this change.

Even with the TVL code half of the nights were approaching $400/night.  This is a Famtastic rate???

Marriott, I have been very loyal to you for many, many years but I feel this is changing rapidly.  I have been one of the several outspoken members of my department suggesting to stay with Marriott as a loyal customer (approx 5,000 rooms/yr from just 40 people) but I now feel most in my department will suggest staying at a different brand.

Treating your most loyal customers this way is not the best idea.  We account for a lot of good feedback to people requesting suggestions on where to stay from a seasoned traveler.  Changing the rules without letting your loyal members know does not make for the best word of mouth feedback to other travelers.

I would very much like some answers as to why this change has been made.  I and many others are not very happy at all.

Seems not really anybody in your company knows the reason why this has happened.  For sure your Silver, Gold and Platinum members are not aware!!!

Not Pleased

franke Gold 4 Reviews

Welcome to trying to be loyal Marriott users . Felt the same way about not getting credit for nights stayed using vacations by Marriott !

comers Gold

I Had the same problem this week. I stayed with my son in Aruba for a few nights and also had one other stay using the TVL code. I have used it before with no problem. It never posted so I called MRewards and was told I couldn't get credit for the Fantastic rate. It never said anything when I booked. And I never heard of this Fantastic rate. I was not happy as it is mega bonus and I would  have tried a different rate had I known- or gone somewhere else. I talked to Marriot last year about this exact thing- getting credit for these rates and was told all rates qualify. They did give me the points for the mega bonus and said if I needed the nights to make gold next year it was in my profile. The woman was very helpful. But I am not happy they are taking it away. I may look at SPG as I have been told they give credit for these stays.

michaelmac Gold

This past February stayed 4 different occasions in NYC for a total of 13 nights using a corporate code of T77

I have used this code many of times it is a travel industry rate, and there is nothing in the rate rules that states it disqualifies for MR credited nights and points.  I called Elite customer service and one of the agents gave me the same answer you were given that this is a Famtastic rate.  First I had ever heard that called nor have I ever seen that term posted on the Marriott site.  The agent said fax him copies of my hotel invoices and he would credit me the 13 nights this one time.  I gave it 10 days and when the credit for my stays still was not showing up, I called back.  The new agent said she checked all the fax boxes with the associates name I gave her. She asked me to fax my invoices again to her attention and I did, that was three days ago still waiting for the nights to be credited to my account.  I understand policy changes and things happen, but at least notify your high value customers of the changes, there are plenty of other rate codes I could have used for the stays and received credit, but since I had no reason to believe that theT77  code would not be credited.  I did not shop around more wisely.   Very frustrated with the whole experience and the level of customer service I have received from the Elite Desk

r.sharp Platinum

As mentioned by Travegame above, TVL bookings are eligible according Marriott's own Terms and Conditions. This is also confirmed by Marriott in another topic on insiders.

The cases I was not credited were solved by sending the missing stay request form.

teresi Platinum

Hello,

I emailed Marriott. The response I got was. They have found it necessary to begin enforcing their policy  to NOT issue credt for Travel rates, Fantastic rates and stays booked with a third party. This has been marriotts policy since the beginning of the marriott rewards program.

So that can right from Marriott themselves.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Well this issue continues to be a complete farce. Having had the problem on and off for ten years I received an e mail telling me I had booked a "Fantastic" rate (which I had not) for my most recent stay. This rate is not eligible.

When booking a Paris Renaissance at over EUR300 on a TVL rate I decided I better call to make sure so called reservations (toll free number), who did not know the answer so they transferred me to Marriott Rewards in Saskatoon, Canada, who after twenty minutes and referrals to a group of supervisors said that the FAMtastic rate is NOT eligible but the normal TVL rate IS eligible and if the Hotel refused to credit me to send the bill with a note to Marriott Rewards. The gentleman I spoke to was very concerned that I had been misled previously.

I do find it annoying that this is continuing and having to call everytime I make a booking is frustrating to say the least. But it seems that we all seem to get different answers to this question.

So according to Saskatoon yesterday the TVL rate is eligible.

fmkgb Platinum

Can the Community Manager or someone who works for Marriott Corporate please confirm definitively whether the TVL rate code is currently eligible to receive nights and points for travel WORLDWIDE?

I was told by MR Platinum desk yesterday that according to new rules TVL is no longer eligible. The rule has been on the Marriott books for years but was never enforced. She retrieved my 5 night stay from February in China which she says Corporate has rejected because it was booked with TVL.  She read me Marriott notes from this week's MR Customer Service Staff morning meeting and it was clear from her notes that TVL is no longer eligible. However, markzz2..  spoke to MR Saskatoon this week and was told that the TVL rate IS eligible. Perhaps there are different rules in different countries and Marriott is not giving points/nights to agents in USA but IS giving it to agents in other countries (e.g., Canada).

Clarification by a Marriott Corporate representative would be appreciated.

IMHO Very short sighted on Marriott's part. Not only will Marriott lose the revenue from agents not staying at their properties but more importantly for them the agent can now NOT recommend that property to clients on a personal basis. Nothing sells as well as saying that you have personal stayed at that property and from that experience the agent feels the client would L O V E that property (as well as give them particulars that are not available on Marriott's website or brochures).

Also, by allowing agent to earn elite status and experience those elite benefits 1) agent could personally recommend clients to be loyal to Marriott and obtain elite status based on agents experience of elite benefits and 2) agent would feel more loyalty to Marriott for allowing them to earn and enjoy status.

Now all that is gone.

I believe Hilton, Best Western, Hyatt, Accor all disallow nights/points for TA rates. Not sure about IHG. SPG used to allow agent rates but not StarPro rates (lower than agent rates) but recently a StarPro stay earned SPG points/nights so they may have reversed their policy. Can anyone confirm that and know of other programs which do allow earning of points and/or nights? I am now looking to change my loyalty away from Marriott.

Again, Clarification by a Marriott Corporate representative on TVL rate worldwide earnings status would be appreciated.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey fmkgb, I have passed on your inquiry to the greater team at Marriott for clarity. I will follow up as soon as I get more information.

iwander Platinum 3 Reviews

I am a Elite Platinum member too. It is more difficult to keep up with the nights stayed when Marriott does not honor the stays coded from 3rd party or discounted rates. I paid $$ to maintain my status. I think international stays are even more difficult to get credit. I recently stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche and was told I would get the 500 bonus gift; I received nothing because it was booked through Marriott's travel agent with Vacation points.. I am staying at the Tokyo Ginza Marriott in August and in Hawaii in June.

Rather than going back to corporate for clarification, we'd like Marriott to treat loyal customers better and change the policy. When I called your office the person I spoke with asking about credits seemed uninterested in helping me. I too will drop Marriott as our first choice.

kmkbg makes sense with their comments:

IMHO Very short sighted on Marriott's part. Not only will Marriott lose the revenue from agents not staying at their properties but more importantly for them the agent can now NOT recommend that property to clients on a personal basis. Nothing sells as well as saying that you have personal stayed at that property and from that experience the agent feels the client would L O V E that property (as well as give them particulars that are not available on Marriott's website or brochures).

Also, by allowing agent to earn elite status and experience those elite benefits 1) agent could personally recommend clients to be loyal to Marriott and obtain elite status based on agents experience of elite benefits and 2) agent would feel more loyalty to Marriott for allowing them to earn and enjoy status.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey Insiders and fmkgb, thank you sharing this feedback with the community on TVL rate codes. I have reached out to the greater Marriott team to get clarification on the worldwide policy.

Based on the information that joshm and I have gathered, the TLV rate is not eligible for credit across all brands and all properties worldwide. They are considered contracted stays. You are more than welcome to call Marriott Rewards to get further clarification at 800-450-4442. As always, your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the Rewards team.

mozbob Silver

CariJ thanks for the update. Funny how that definition has changed recently that it's considered a 'contracted rate'. But with this 'clarity' I'm most pleased that I cancelled the few bookings that I still had with Marriott. As much as Marriott is entitled to change their rules, we as customer luckily still have choice!

I am very sad that Marriott have made the decision without any warning. I called the Saskatoon office just last week and was assured the rate was eligible.

It is not a contracted rate. A contract is set between two parties and not just one.

My colleague who gets a cheaper Corporate rate (BOE or ACC) DOES get points and nights and has no hassle.

I feel very let down and whereas I would always choose a Marriott even if it was sometime less convenient I will now only use Marriott on points stays or where the hotel is a particular favourite. Sadly after being a member since the 1980's I am now choosing Hyatt who have offered me a status match for 12 months (Hyatt do not credit nights or points on Travel rates but at least it is stated on the terms and conditions and the Travel rates are generally offering me  much bigger saving than Marriott odes on these rates). If Marriott think this is a good investment for them then so be it, I will take my EUR/$ 300 a night stays elsewhere where they are valued.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

The TVL is not master billed and IS paid for by the customer by cash or credit..May want to update the T&C..Also,Marriott could save its guests a lot of frustration by adding a note during booking that the rate does not earn points or nights credit.

comers Gold

What is so short sited is that these TVL rates aren't availble if the Hotels are Full. It isn't like Marriott is giving away the store!! Often the rates are very costly as many have said...to not give a stay night on a 200-300$ room is crazy. Marriott elites and customers are spending Lots of money at these hotels..makes me wonder where this program is headed. Do I want to continue to spend my dollars when I am being pushed out ? And the cost to Marriott? Members who want to be loyal.

Likewise..Im not sure I want to continue to be loyal to Marriott paying the same price at Marriott using a TVL code that is often as much as the AAA code.. Im already Gold at SPG & Hilton..It might be time to give my money to them!

beenaroundtheworld Gold

I created the original post back on February 28 and just returned from a second stay at the same hotel. My March stay was rebooked at the Senior rate which was 2 Euro more than the travel industry rate!! I was supposedly assisted in the rebooking process by a Marriott Guest Services supervisor. The hotel had no information regarding this on check-in. I spoke with 4 people, 2 upper management, at the hotel and now Guest Services back in the US. and it is still not totally sorted out.

Can someone tell me how Marriott Rewards, the Number 1 ranked Hotel Loyalty program by JD Powers, can tell guests that a rate does not qualify for Rewards Points and not have it stated in their terms and conditions?? Marriott Rewards representatives have told me and others we have Famtastic rates??, contact rates??, rates that have slipped through in error?? etc. etc.

Marriott can certainly change the terms of their program at any time. I guess we expect to see formal notification of this change stated openly in the program rules. Marriott is a respected World Wide hotel and Resort business and they should have clarity in their Reward Program rules for their potential customers.

mozbob Silver

It's interesting how the responses, either when contacting their helpdesks or on here, are rather vague and hide behind contracted or even 3rd party rates. Funny that those rates haven't ben considered 'contracted' before, but maybe the interpretation of words has changed.

Anyway, after the issue I've experienced, I've been cautious making new bookings. The few future bookings that I've had (under TVL at substantial rates) are now cancelled. I've chosen to switch to alternatives with Starwood and I have to say that so far I'm quite pleased with the generosity of the SPG programme. So, for me it's bye bye Marriott!

comers Gold

Does anyone know if SPG will match out status for 2015??

If you have American Express Platinum you are automatic Starwood Gold..Hilton Will Match Status..just call..

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

I confess I'm not sure what all the fuss is about - apart from inconsistency. If you get lucky, great. The rule I have always noted is that to get awards you need to pay yourself when you check out. I have never found any corporate rates to be a problem as long as you pay when you check out. Always good to hear of quirky events though!

beenaroundtheworld Gold

You might know what the fuss was about if it was happening to you. Yes, I am paying for the stay(s)  as I am sure the other members with a same recent problem are too. Inconsistency is not a great way to run a rewards program.

dkbrigs27th Platinum

I've always payed for my own stays and never had a problem until this year. I've stayed 26 nights this year under TVL and I'm unable to get credit for the stays/points.

The rate was changed to "Famtastic" under TVL. ( I never booked it under "famtastic". )

A pissed off Life Time Platinum/ Premier Platinum member

Thats what this whole blog is about..TVL is a rate you pay yourself and is not master billed..However it seems Marriott has stopped awarding points/nights credit on this rate.

vickisocal Platinum

If this is a contracted rate, who do they contract with? These are the eligible customers:

Available to active travel agents, wholesale/tour operators, incentive company, commercial airline (an airline that is in the business of transporting passengers, not packages), and Hertz employees, Universal Air Travel Plans, Society of Active Travel Writer (SATW) and Midwest Travel Writers Association (MWTA) members, and CLIA agents.

michaelmac Gold

Hello,

Once again I had 4 stays in the month of February for a total of 13 nights that did not get credit to my MR account.

Because I used corporate rate code T77 which is a Travel Inndustry Rate.  I work for a Major Passenger Airline.  I have used this code for that last 5 years, and have never had a problem in the past for getting credit for my stays.

In speaking with various representatives in the MR customer service desk, and they said they have been given instructions not to credit any stays that are associated with the Travel Industry discounts.  If Marriott wants to enforce a policy that was already on the books, great but then they need to communicate with ther valued customers and give a grace period and then an effective date of enforcement.  To do this "Cold Turkey" without notice is unprofessional and not customer service friendly.  This is not the way to win JD Power Award again.

These rates are NOT heavly discounted.

I'm sadden my this level of customer service and hate having to contemplate switching my rewards over to Starwood.

burnonbigriver Platinum

So I just found this thread after wasting nearly 2hrs yesterday on the phone with the MR Plat desk.  Like so many others I've spend countless nights over the past 5-7 years using the TVL code and have always gotten point and stay credits.  Then after 4 recent trips I stopped getting anything posted to my account.  No problem, this happens with international stays sometimes so I called MR and first I'm told that 'this has always been the case' then once I'm transferred to a supervisor I'm told 'this started happening back in February'.  So which is it Marriott?  These are not contracted rates as so many others have stated.  These stays are booked and paid for by us, individual travelers.  I work for major US airline that has a partnership with Marriott and our company rate code is almost always cheaper than TVL but we get credit for these stays.  How is the TVL code any different than a AAA Rate, Gov't/Military, or AARP rate?  Those all earn point and stay credits? 

More importantly, if Marriott wants to implement this change, fine...TELL US, put it right there on the booking page.  There is absolutely no way for anyone to know that using the TVL code will not earn them points/stay credit.  Digging into the T&C's which aren't linked anywhere during the booking process only to pull out some random clause # 7 that discusses 'contract rates' with zero mention of what a contract rate actually is, is a complete cop-out.  The fact is, a change was made with zero documentation to the consumer which is dishonest and borderline fraud on behalf of Marriott.    How hard is it to include some actual rate rules on your website when booking?  There's a line that clearly says this is for Travel Industry Employees and an ID will be required at check-in.  Why can't you also say that this rate is no longer eligible for points/stay credit?  Imagine if you booked an airline ticket at an S or T fare, flew, and got home only to fine out that the airline decided to not award miles because that was a discounted ticket?  It would be a DOT Complaint sh!tstorm and there would probably be a class action lawsuit filed.  Hilton and SPG have no problem indicating that certain IATA rate codes are no eligible for points right on the booking page, why can't Marriott? 

I guess this will be my last year as Plat with Marriott.  Loyalty is a two-way street. 

I have e mailed Marriott Rewards with direct questions about this and would hope to get a direct answer as to the eligibility of the TVL rates once and for all. I have asked for permission to post the reply on here and Flyertalk so hopefully we should get a definitive answer.

Sadly if it means that the TVL rates are not eligible I will be cancelling my 319 euro rate in Paris and reconsidering my future stays as I feel my loyalty is no longer valued. As a member since the 1980s that upsets me

upsetcustomer Platinum

I'M WITH YOU…!!!

coryc Platinum

I am very disappointed in Marriott.  I work for a major US passenger airline and meet the criteria for the TVL rate rules.  Last year I stayed well over 100 nights exclusively at Marriott properties -- I'm a loyal Marriott customer.  I think what angers me the most is the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of this "rule".  If the rate doesn't qualify for points/elite nights put it right there in the rate rules so we can all make educated choices!

It's sad to think that I'm almost at lifetime Silver and I'm thinking about moving my entire business (and the several other people who travel with me) to Starwood...

In reading through this post there seems to be a swell of asks for Marriott to "come clean" and update the TVL rate rules.  So far I can't find any change on the Marriott website.  What say you, Marriott?

vickisocal Platinum

There's a thread in 2012 where MR was repeatedly ask if they could put ineligible in the rules for all rates that are ineligible so we would know.

Don't hold your breathe. :-)

coryc Platinum

It just feels like deceptive business practices....

So...perhaps the question now becomes:

1. What loyalty program are people switching to?  SPG?  Hyatt?

2. Who offers the best industry rates and also awards points/nights?

3. Does any loyalty program offer tier matching for this year?

frequenttravelerfromohio Platinum

Disappointed to see that Marriott abruptly changed the rewards points policy on the TVL rate code.  I had been receiving points on the TVL rate code for 4 years without any problems.  Then, about a month ago, I stopped receiving points.  When I called to inquire about the change, more than one call center employee lied and said that points have never been issued for the TVL rate.  They said that since it was a discounted "Fam-Tastic" rate that I was not entitled.  My understanding is that "Fam-Tastic" is something totally different.  One phone employee went so far as to tell me that I had never gotten any points for TVL and that the over 1,000,000 points I had earned must have been from Room Service and Market Items... Ridiculous!  If you want to make a change, at least notify your supposed most valuable customers first.

Well I got my response from Marriott and as I asked in my e mail for permission to post, here it is guys! What seems like cut and paste response that contradicts what I have been told so many times and that also contradicts the terms and conditions (which hopefully they will now change as fast I am cancelling my future bookings). It will mean I will no longer choose Marriott out of loyalty, I will now choose my hotels through convenience and by benefits, whereas for 23 years I have always chosen Marriott first just because it is Marriott.

It will also influence me when I pay the full rate, so Marriott will lose out. But they seem to not be too bothered about that. Strange that for 23 years they have apparently been making mistakes by crediting for this rate anyway so it has taken a long time to fix.

Thank you for writing in regards to your concerns about a particular travel rate.  I do understand your frustration with this new information, and I am happy to provide you with additional information. My question why cheaper corporate rates do get benefits was ignored sadly.

It is correct that the travel industry rate is a wholesale rate that does not qualify for earnings.  Travel industry rates are wholesale rates which do not qualify for any Marriott Rewards earnings, including points, airline credit, and Elite nights.  This has actually always been the case; however, until recently, most of our hotels have allowed earnings for this specific rate to post.  I apologize that this is no longer the situation.  Each time credit for this rate has posted, it has actually posted in error.  As the error is in the favor of our members, we do not remove the credit unless we must in order to complete a transaction; however, I apologize that we are unable to manually post credit for these stays.

Thank you so much for being one of our Platinum Lifetime Elite members.  We appreciate the loyalty and business that you give to us over the 23 years of your membership.  I hope that you will be staying with us again soon.

Best Wishes,

Chad Sharpe

ICS Agent Lead

Marriott Rewards Guest Services

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

It seems then that Marriott have been making these "mistakes" for many many years then, but they've now made a huge mistake by alienating guests within the travel industry who regularly use their hotels and are, and have been loyal MR members, some like you for many years. This business is cut throat and everyone has multiple choices where to stay in most locations and I don't blame you for cancelling your future bookings. TVL rates are not Marriott staff or friends and family rates, they are public rates for those that happen to work within the travel industry, the very same people who can recommend Marriott hotels to their customers. It will be Marriotts loss.

beenaroundtheworld Gold

Markzz2 thank you for sharing your response from Marriott. I started this tread exactly one month ago and at this point I am ALMOST finding it amusing. Your response has added another spin to why we are not being credited for stays using the Travel industry rate. Here is what we have been told thus far:

1 -- Famtastic rates ???

2 -- Contract rates ???

3 -- Rates posted in error ??? (Over many years)

4 -- THIS IS NEW -- Wholesale rates ???

I wonder what "team" came up with this latest term. Someone(s) are always checking with a team or a higher team for clarity and a response.

Your probably need to direct your correspondence directly to J.W. Marriott JR. I wonder if he is aware of the very unprofessional way this whole topic of discussion is being handled by his staff.

livesinhotels Platinum

Marriott has become to big to care about us. There was a time when Marriott would just have said sorry for the impact to you our loyal guest, here are the points and nights you lost but from now on you will no longer get any benefits if you book on TVL, instead of saying too bad your loss, this is the policy, as they have done to all of us. This is almost more hurtful than the policy change (or now after 25 years of giving points for TVL and now the drastic without warning application of a policy). Yet to find written anywhere that TVL is a contracted rate and AAA is not etc... I personally spend over 200 nights per year in various hotel with min 2 work colleagues at all times. I represent over 100 corporate pilots and flight attendants. Even though Marriott says it is not a policy change, the application of the policy directly affects me and the company I represent after all of these years of being loyal to Marriott. I not only maximize my days per year in Marriott, but that of our crews as well. We don't only use TVL, but in some cities we can use it to justify our stay at Marriott property/franchise instead of another brand. As many others I believe that TVL is a reward to us loyal customers who push and spend the maximum nights in Marriott properties in a way to get rates lower than the avg person booking at Marriott while maintaining our benefits. Since TVL is not available everywhere year round, we often book at full rates, so let us say for the 10% of our stays per year, your application of your policy will lose at least 50% of the business I have provided to Marriott in the past. Now in many cities I will chose other hotel which will give me benefits while extending lower prices. With a 100 crews needing 365 hotel nights, Marriott has a potential loss to the Marriott franchise with my company alone of 36,500 nights. Of course in some cites we will still stay in Marriott but in most we will now seriously reconsider our options. Also I don't see a difference AAA vs TVL, hotels give it when they want to and yet they give points. If hotel does not want to give points, don't give TVL otherwise give points to your loyal customers. I see no difference in the AAA and TVL rate, and yet AAA gets full points. As a Platinum for Life member I have been a loyal member for over 10 years and have always had a mix of different rates and never had I had this occur. In 4 recent stays since start of 2015 I have lost over 100,000 points. You must understand that I am no longer very happy with Marriott and without future resolution of my loss of points I guarantee you my booking structure in the future will change effective immediately. If I wanted to stay at Marriott at a low cost and get no benefits, then I would simply book via hotels.com or other such websites. I would not even bother with TVL. Your policy change (or as you tend to say application of your policy) has affected one of your most loyal customer base, maybe you are too big to care but I will not forget.