9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2015 7:06 PM by saberbc RSS

Marriotts Phone Scam

ianj Member
Currently Being Moderated

MARRIOT SCAM

I find it extremely dissappointing that Marriott is now resorting to employing cold calling scams from outside of the USA to offer false rewards.

Like many, I have just received a automated cold call offering $999 off my next stay at my next stay at a Marriott resort.  This then went on to an operator who asked if I had a debit and/or credit card and then another operator who was then going to offer me a "discounted" stay at a marriot resort.

When questioned - the operator said that they were sponsored by the Marriott chain/brand and that they were operating from Mexico.

MARRIOTT - never call me again!!!!

Kind regards,

Ian Johnston

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
marriott
  • Re: Marriotts Phone Scam
    tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

Maybe I am naive, but I am HIGHLY dubious that this call was actually from Marriott.  If you have the phone number from caller ID, we should look it up and see what we find.

When I periodically get calls from "Windows" to alert me to the fact that my computer is sending out messages that reveal that my computer is infected with viruses, I don't blame Microsoft Corp.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

corneliaross Member

I agree. Calls could be from scammers, claiming to be employees of Marriott...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've never heard of Marriott cold calling. I suspect this is a "real" scam, unscrupulous individuals using the Marriott name without approval to shore up a dodgy travel agency business.

Marriott has licensed its name to "vacations by Marriott" which has incurred some ire here concerning point awards and sometimes a lack of value, but it's not been reported cold-calling and delivers on the vacations it sells.

Your experience doesnt sound like something Marriott would countenance.

joshm Member

Thanks for chiming in, brightlybob.

joshm Member

Hello ianj, and welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum!

As you have done so here, this site is place for the community to share their thoughts, insights, recommendations, and travel stories with a large network of savvy and friendly road warriors!

Being new to the forum, I encourage you to check out the Getting Started Guide for tips on how to optimize your experience here at Insiders! Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or CariJ with any questions or concerns you have about the site or anything Rewards-related. We make up the community management team for the page.

Concerning your post, we see these scam calls from time to time. It's not from us! Thank you for letting us know. Do you happen to have the number that called you? We can use to help identify and stop future calls.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

kristibgm Platinum

this is kinda...... WORRISOME!!!

if these calls are NOT coming from Marriott--

is there a way for them (Marriott) to RESEARCH or have the ability to STOP whomever is attempting to take advantage on people in the "name"....... of Marriotts

Ian Johnson---a few questions -- if you do not mind:

are you comfortable sharing if they called you on a Cell phone or Landline???

did this person -- have ANY PERSONAL details about you--- like knew you were a Marriott Rewards Customer, or was the conversation, just VERY verge?

THANK YOU for SHARING!!!!!

corneliaross Member

Next time you get a suspicious call, I suggest you do a phone number search at Callercenter.com to find out if it's a reported offender. The website keeps a record of phone numbers used by scam artists, fraudsters, nuisance telemarketers and even fake solicitors. Looking it up is the easiest way to know.

chris0311 Platinum

If there have been multiple complaints about this scam then Marriott may want to consider informing it's customers. An email or letter to warn people about the scam would be a great idea. That way people do not jump to conclusions and get angry at Marriott like with this case.

saberbc Silver

I have also had this computer voice twice this week from 011-60-4-908-5156. As I am a very happy Marriott rewards member I thought it odd and unlikely that it was legitimate. I am also on the Canadian "do not call" register and filed a complaint there. They had my cell number and I have since blocked the calling number. It sounds like they are making the rounds in the Vancouver area this week. For those with questions about getting these after a stay in a Marriott I would report in my situation it is not the case and it is just coincidence.  I did not press "1" as requested, simply hung up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...