16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2015 4:22 PM by Sledchick RSS

Live long and prosper.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is travel-related in a sort of inter-galactic sense.

Live long and prosper.

spock.jpg

RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Vulcan Starfleet_Academy
Yuma, Arizona, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Yuma
  • Re: Live long and prosper.
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Thanks, foxglove.  I did not know until I saw your post.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." — Spock, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sledchick A student stuck her head in my door at about 1:00 to ask if I'd heard. (I have a photo of NCC-1701 in my office, and students know I'm a fan of all things Roddenberry.)

So that's how you heard the news.  And I heard it from you, and posted something on my Facebook page.  Which alerted my "friends."  All of us geeky people who love most things Star Trek are quietly grieving.  The quote I posted is one of my all-time favorites, not just from Spock but from life!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I saw this run across my Comcast main sign-in page.  Sad day for sure.

steve31266 Platinum

I loved watching him on "In Search Of".

Location Brand Hotel
    Yuma, Arizona, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Yuma
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

This is profoundly sad to me.  LN died of COPD.  He smoked.  My Dad died 6 months ago from Pulmonary Fibrosis.  He never smoked. His disease was a result of breathing in glass and tile dust from being involved in a (fabulously artistic) hobby that he enlisted in after retiring from a career in law enforcement.  Both diseases for these two men were preventable.  A slow decline towards ultimate and inevitable death in this fashion (lung disease) is particularly heartbreaking to undergo for both patient and family. Both men otherwise had vitality and could've blessed the world and their friends and loved ones for another 10 years otherwise if not for these diseases.  If you smoke, consider quitting.  It is a totally climbable mountain. If you work with tile and glass, use good safety equipment with diligence.  Live long and prosper.  RIP to two terrific men.

joshm Member

Thanks so much for sharing this with the community, pluto77.

Such a heartfelt post to share.

I read your post 2 days ago Pluto, but haven't had a chance to respond until now.  Your sadness came through loud and clear -- I'm so sorry for your loss.  Maybe someone will read your post and take it to heart by quitting smoking.  Thank you for opening up and reminding others that we can take better care of ourselves, if not for having a healthier long life, but for the sake of our families and friends as well.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks, Sled.   I didn't mean to take away from paying tribute to such a worthy and iconic personality of our time, I guess the sadness struck me enough to feel the need to just pour it out.  Star Trek was such an epic screen "divertissement" for so many, so it's sad too of course when the people in this iconic group begin to fall off.

Well, sad for some I suppose.  Last night in French class dealing with written grammar, the teacher - a French American - jokingly said (with his French accent), "if you keep making that mistake, I'll have you write it in Klingon!"  Later, dealing with adjectives, there was an exercise to finish the sentence... One sentence began "<Star Trek est un programme de télé...>" and a lady finished it with "pénible!"  The teacher suddenly mimed his own death by a daggar through the heart, as if her opinion (pénible) slayed him.  This led to the mention of that photo of the vulcan hand salute by astronaut Terry Virts from space a couple of days ago.  Well, either way - "pénible" ou "super", I suppose the conversation illustrated just how immersed Star Trek pretty much is in our culture.  And it lives on.

live-long-and-prosper-from-iss-space-nasa.jpg

tweeted from the international space station.

You didn't take away from the tribute -- your words were written from your heart, and you effectively communicated that those lung diseases could be prevented and why people should take precautions.  I saw that as a tribute to both Leonard and your father, to help others live long and prosper!

Your French class sounds like fun.  I always love when Trek references show up in unexpected places.  One place where I do look forward to that banter is the show, "The Big Bang Theory."  I wonder if they will make mention of Nimoy's passing in a future episode...

And I have to admit, I wasn't very fond of Star Trek when it first came out (I think it was because I was young), but over the years I have grown to love it and the genius that Roddenberry was.

Thanks for the photo from the ISS; I had not seen it.

Saturday Night Live paid tribute to LN this past weekend, with a sketch called "Worf MD." Kenan Thompson, in full Worf regalia, plays a doctor called in for an emergency case on his day off -- straight from a sci-fi convention. When the patient dies, he cuts loose with a full Klingon death howl. When the patient's family comes in, he says, "Your grandfather is with his ancestors tonight, drinking bloodwine in Stovokor." In the end, the family's relieved that Worf was there for his send-off. The sketch ends with Thompson giving the Vulcan LLAP salute, and a static photo of Nimoy as Spock comes up with the super "Live long and prosper" on screen until fadeout.

I read your post, foxglove, and looked that skit up on-line.  I think the best part was the end.

I agree, although I thought Kenan looked hilarious as Worf. Plus, whoever wrote it definitely knew some STNG lingo.

Yes, the outfit was pretty good!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A wonderful post pluto77 and one which I am glad to have read.  Although I've never smoked I knows those who do and your words are something I will be passing along.  So sorry to learn of the loss of your Father, but thank you for sharing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...