11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2015 11:57 AM by eb5147 RSS

Points Expiring

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Found this on Loyalty Lobby this morning. 

Marriott Rewards Points Expiry Policy Change (Points Now Expire) | LoyaltyLobby

And on the Marriott site.

Read Marriott Rewards Points Expiration Guidelines

Airlines have been doing this for years with their FF accounts so not a big shock to see it happening and being enforced by Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points Expiring
    joshm Member

Thanks for sharing this, IAHFLYR.

I don't doubt that the community will be discussing this as more of the forum becomes aware.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree.  Marriott has touted this over the others.  Hilton and SPG expire without activity.  Hyatt does not.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes i do know hyatt dorsnt do this but would not be surprised if they do. Like airlines the national hotel chain loyalty programs will continue to look alike and get worse not better. I will

still stay with marroitt

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

I agree with all of you.  It was bound to happen.  However, for right not Lifetime Status individuals need not worry. Marriott is 'tickling' those who may not be "loyal" clients to become just that.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I got an email a few minutes ago informing me of this, but it did say in the message since Lifetime Platinum it won't affect my account.  However; my wife got the same email and since she is Gold she will have to have activity showing so guess she will just have to book some meeting rooms!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

What's bad is that Marriott is still touting this as a benefit.  That's false advertising at best.

Marriott says you can transfer your points, but if you try, it has to be at a time when the person you're transferring it to is booking and they need the points to book.

The people at the rewards desk say that this has always been part of their policy but they're just now enforcing it.  If that's so, then why are they still advertising that the points don't expire in their point sign up brochures?

I guess they're actually trying to do away with the program, but I don't really know the purpose.  They know there are other brands out there.

I bought 100 K points for my husband's IHG acct. back in Feb or Mar while we were staying at a new Holiday Inn Orange Lake property at Cape Canaveral that was recently bought from the Ron Jon Resort. 

I'd been worried about whether the $550 for them was too much until I saw what Marriott charged for their points.  Then I later bought 120 K pts. for $625 because a person couldn't have bought more than a certain amount in a year.

Using your Marriott Amex card should keep the pts. safe, also.     

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Marriott has an AMEX card???  Since when?  Also, who is the service provider, i.e. which bank handles it?

Sorry.  It's a Visa.

Right now, try to get the 80,000 points being offered if you buy so much in the first month, but it will be points to keep your Marriott acct. every year anyway.  That may or may not be worth the renewal fee depending on how you want to use it.

It seems like it's Chase.  It's on the sign in page making the offer.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I just read under the FAQ's it says:

Are any members exempt?

• Yes.  The point expiration policy does not affect the point balances for the following members:  Lifetime Silver, Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum. However, the program does still reserves the right to choose to apply a point expiration policy to Lifetime member accounts in the future.

I'm a silver member, but how do you become a Lifetime Silver or a Lifetime Gold member?

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

Lifetime Silver Elite250 nights 1.2 million pointsLifetime Gold Elite500 nights 1.6 million pointsLifetime Platinum Elite750 nights 2 million points

I think that rollover nights are included in those total nights, too, because my husbands total nights included his rollovers.

It's a lot easier to earn the lifetime status now than it was a few years ago. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...