11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2015 12:54 PM by brightlybob RSS

Montreal Marriott, "Honeymoon" decision...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm planning to marry my second wife (second time round for both of us) in early July then a few days later we fly out with the teenagers to visit her relatives in Toronto area. From there we are taking the teens on a points-burning Roadtrip visiting Ottawa, Ausable, NYC, DC and Niagara before returning to Oakville to drop them off for a few nights whilst we have a "mini honeymoon" in Montreal, my missus childhood home which she hasn't visited since the 1980's.

Whilst the whole holiday isnt particulatrly romantic, I'd like to pick a nice hotel from which to base ourselves for the memory lane walks were going to take around Montreal, and I'm not sure the Montreal Marriott fits that bill. I have reserved the Marriott on a cancellable rate, but the rooms don't seem inspiring, the baths are small (Missus really dislikes that small tub that seems to be in common usage around North America) and the exec lounge doesn't do alcohol. I am considering the Intercontinental which is a similar price for a club room, but will consider any good option even if it's not in my favoured Marriott or IHG chains...

So all suggestions, hints or tips are gratefully appreciated...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Montreal, Quebec, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Montreal Downtown
Montreal, Quebec, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Quebec, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts
  • Re: Montreal Marriott, "Honeymoon" decision...
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Hi brightlybob

Are you absolutely set on Montreal? If you are  not for romance and a great place to stay I would venture to the JW Marriott in Muskoka (Lake Rousseau) beautiful rooms and suites and a lovely area to share with that special person in your life.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We are doing 2 mini-honeymoons during our monthlong stays Canada, 1 at the beginning, my choice, the Ritz, and one at the end, the missus choice which is Montreal

Personally I would have chosen either the JW Muskoka as our after Roadtrip trippy, but the missus has her heart set on Montreal, and since she's not been there since her teenage years she desperately wants to return home during this trip. So Montreal it is...

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

The Intercontinental is a good choice. A family member recently stayed at the W Montreal and could not stop raving about it.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My wife and I are staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain in Montreal very soon.   I will report back to you upon our return.  I would suggest, though, that you contact the hotel manager and tell him that this is your honeymoon.  Perhaps you might be able to talk yourself into an upgrade, especially if you are Platinum or even Gold.

The Marriott is close to Gibbys, one of the best steak houses in Montreal.

I have stayed in the Spring Hill Suites in near the Port and it is quite nice.

I've been travelling to Montreal for more than 70 years.  I have a lot of family there.  Have you ever tried Montreal Smoked meat.  It is my favorite cold cut and is sort of like a cross between corned beef and pastrami.  It's a must, if you haven't had it.  The french restaurants are great there and might be the best on this side of the Atlantic.  At the risk of offending some Canadians, (or even starting a war on this site) I must express the opinion that Montreal bagels are inferior to New York bagels, and I always avoid eating them, when in Montreal.  My Canadian relatives, on the other hand, love them.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Brightlybob,  I just returned from a 16 day trip to NYC and Canada.  We spent three nights at the Montreal Marriott and the hotel was outstanding.  Our room was quite comfortable and generously sized for a city hotel. We were upgraded to a nice view but I don't know if ourroom was larger than a standard room.)  The price was quite reasonable.  The service was outstanding and the CL was excellent, though they did not serve eggs or meat at breakfast.

Location Brand Hotel
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts

Thanks very much for that, good to know about the exec lounge as reading other reviews it seemed as if the Exec lounge wa a bit thin on the ground, they were doing the minimum, but you think it was good? From your comments about lack of eggs and meat at breakfast I assume you're saying there was just cold continental choices, nothing hot?

I was considering the Courtyard as well on points, just before the category rise, but I'm out of points and would have to change another points booking to make it and of all the values the Montreal hotels are the lowest anyway. So it's definitely between the Marriott Champlain or Intercontinental (where I'm also a Plat, though it doesn't mean much there).

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

brightlybob,

erc was planning a Montreal trip this year and am sure would have had wonderful suggestions for you.  Boy we miss him around here. 

I have not been to Montreal, but am considering a trip this summer as well.  Best of luck choosing!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I've stayed at Marriott, Residence Inn, Courtyard and Spring Hill Suites in Montreal. One thing I like about the latter is it's walking distance to Old Montreal and fabulous restaurants, such as Gibby's, 298 Place d' Youville. If you go, call for reservations - 514-282-1837. http://www.gibbys.com

Old Montreal is near the river, away from the high-brow shopping area of north part of the city, but more romantic, I would suggest.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I assume you're driving, so this suggestion might not apply; however, if you're looking for a place for a romantic honeymoon - particularly in Eastern Canada - I'd recommend Quebec City. You can fly into airport near the city from Montreal, or Toronto, or drive (4 hours) from Montreal. There's a Marriott hotel near the walled city,  along with the Chateau Fontenac inside, and the Chateau Bonne Entente (St. Foy), a few miles from the city,  and there are fabulous restaurants in QC, particularly in the old part of town. I've previously posted photos of the city so you could browse "Insiders" for this, if interested. Let me know if you need more information about QC, one of the most European cities in N.A.

The whole mini-honeymoon thing is part of a monthlong trip to Canada to see relatives with a 2-week USA/Canada Roadtrip thrown in with 4 teens. we are actually having 2 mini honeymoon, a 2 nights stay at the Ritz in Toronto before the Roadtrip with the teens and a 3 night Montreal trip by train afterwards. The Montreal bit is non-negotiable as its where the missus spent her teen years and this will be her first return since ep she left home in 1980.

I am torn between the Marriott, the Intercontinental and, strangely, the Courtyard, it's fair value as a redemption option and apparently a cut above the normal CY! All opinions still gratefully received.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...