6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2015 8:26 PM by lindseyh RSS

Advanced Purchase Rate fluctuation trends

7 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Do rates typically only go up as the stay approaches? I am going to Budapest next month and the group I'm visiting wants to make me a reservation at Le Meridien as they have the per diem rate. I asked if I could state at the Marriott instead and they said that they also had the agreed upon per diem rate and would make a reservation for me. I checked online and saw that Advance Purchase rate was within per diem, so I almost made the reservation myself, but since they said they were I waited. Now they got back to me and said that the Marriott had no room available at that rate, so they are wanting to go back to putting me at Le Meridien.

From yesterday to today the Advance Purchase rate jumped to where it is now above per diem and the government rate is available, but it is even higher than per diem than the advanced purchase rate. I was surprised at this since the details of the rate said it was for 7 days advanced purchase and we still have weeks to go before we pass that.

So, it looks like I'll be staying at Le Meridien, but I was just wondering what the odds are the Advance Purchase rate might drop back down?

Also, what is the point of having a government rate that is higher than per diem and and also higher than regularly available flexible rates?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Advanced Purchase Rate fluctuation trends
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Lot's of great questions here, @7. I'm looking into clarification around all of this and will let you know what I learn.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Gold 1 Reviews

So, in looking closer it appears the cheaper gov rate that I saw yesterday was the actual per diem rate for a base room. I guess they sold out of base rooms and now all they have at the gov rate are "Executive" rooms with lounge access which are the ones above per diem. Kind of funny since I would've had lounge access anyway with platinum status, but I guess "I snooze I lose".

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

often I book and keep looking and many times find a   lower rate cancel and rebook

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Advance Purchase reservations can only be cancelled within 24 hours.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks, I am aware of that. It's not really an issue I was concerned about in this case. The whole thing was a mistake on my part. I thought the price changed, but in reality the lower priced rooms just sold out, so all that was left was higher priced rooms.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey 7, it looks like you may have come across some of this info during your search, but here's what I learned on rates. Marriott, when determining prices, offers a limited number of rooms at a discounted rate. The limited nature of these discounts can result int he unavailability of special rates, especially when as the reservation date draws near. There are occasions in which the standard rate can be lower than the discounted rate, and this is attributed to the fact that as the standard rate varies based on availability, each discounted rate is a set rate with will not fluxuate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...