10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2015 1:09 PM by pluto77 RSS

Acknowledgement of a returning  customer?

jrichar2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The Marriott hotels have been very good to me for the most part over the years.  My one frustration that I have never commented on until now after being a member since 1998 is "Why can't they remember if I've been to the hotel before?' 

I have checked into the same hotels many times and I always get that question "have you been here before?"  I feel like asking the question "Do you still use rotary phones at this hotel?" 

Aren't we in a technological era where "John Doe" will be noted that he has been at the specific property "X" amount of times in the past? 

It is very annoying to be checking in to a property that I have stayed at over ten times in a year and the front desk person says have you ever been here before?

What am I a missing here?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Acknowledgement of a returning  customer?
    steve31266 Platinum

Can agree on this one. With today's computer and networking technology, there's no reason why Marriott's booking system can't show hotel staff how many times we've been to this particular hotel. It should even records notes from hotel staff on how much of a jerk or sweetheart each guest is.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Can you imagine what the insiders board would look like if a guest found out any negative information about themselves on the Marriott computer system....people who are rude and jerks are usually last to know this about themselves.

cjkatl Platinum

I've been told there is a notation on my account that I turn into an ogre when my feather free room isn't actually feather free. I'll admit some truth to that, but it seems to now inspire hotels to actually check that it's done, so I'm fine with it.

cjkatl Platinum

I actually experience the reverse of this. I book whatever property (RC, JW, Autograph, Edition, Ren, FS, CY, SHS, FI) is closest to where I need to be in the morning and wind up all over the place. Most of my stays are one night and I can hit 5 different states in a week. Sometimes when checking into a hotel, the staff member says, "Welcome Back" and I'm stunned to discover I've previously been to the hotel!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

The 2 properties I stay at the most I always get the "Welcome back" greeting, even as I'm getting out of the cab. I often wonder if they really remember me or if that is it the slogan they use to avoid offending people.

I agree that a check-in the computer should flag if the guest has been at that property before.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I generally get the welcome back and many times well we havent seen you in a while so that must appear on the screen

cjkatl Platinum

It used to scare me that bellman in some hotels would address me by name when I was getting out of a cab, until I learned reading the airline luggage tag is one of the oldest bellman tricks in the book.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Almost always get the "welcome back" on places whether I've been there just once or 50 times.

marriottjad Silver 1 Reviews

The Battle House in Mobile, Al is a very nice property with a very professional staff. I travel with small kids and Marriott always try's to meet our requests.  The Ritz in New Orleans and Ross Bridge in Hoover, AL welcome us back when we walk in each year.  Marriott is the only hotel chain we stay in and their rewards program is a small reason for that, their staff is a larger reason.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I got a "Welcome Back" with a warm smile at my last stay at the Ren Cap View.  It was admittedly awkward when the young "Navigator" added, "And how's the family?"

"Um, The family's great!    Thanks for asking!" as I'm thinking to myself, "Have you ever met my family?"  LOL.

I gave him props for genuine effort (and honestly, the front desk is remarkably warm and hospitable, the way all Marriott's should be.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...