15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2015 5:40 PM by 7 RSS

How many countries have you been in and not stayed at a Marriott, and why?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Day trips and layovers don't count.

I'll start by saying Australia and U.A.E. both because I have or had family living there and they wouldn't hear of us staying anywhere else but with them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How many countries have you been in and not stayed at a Marriott, and why?
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Only two -- Jamaica and the Bahamas -- because there weren't any Marriott-affiliated properties back then. But I now see that a Courtyard's due to open in Kingston sometime this year, although Kingston wouldn't be my first choice for a Jamaican vacation destination. (And because the all-inclusives we've stayed at in Jamaica have been blasts.) No pro-BLEM, Mon!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How many countries have you been in and not stayed at a Marriott, and why?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Too many.

Let's see. Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Kenya, Japan, and China (all part of tours or pre-selected routing of which I had no input). Most of these trips were quite some time back so I don't recall all the places where I stayed. It's possible one or two might have been a Marriott, but I don't think so. I recall a Hilton (Nairobi), Intercontinental (Tokyo), and Sheraton (Beijing), as well a number of independent properties.

Australia and New Zealand. Growing up in Australia, family vactions were often within the country or nearby (NZ). We tended toward budget accomodations.

These days, I expect I would choose Marriott wherever I travel, if the option is available.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Okay, if we're counting family trips taken in our youth, I'll add a few more: Canada, Mexico and Spain, all of which were in conjunction with research conferences my father was attending, and all accommodations were predetermined by the professional association.

Plus, as a teenager, my vote on where we should stay (in the words of the late, great Matt Foley) wouldn't have counted for JACK-SQUAT! 

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Kenya, Uganda ('90s), South Africa ('90s), Nassau, Bahamas ('60s) - no Marriotts here

Germany - not member of Marriott team then

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

What??? Day trips and layovers don't count?? Who made up these rules?

Countries that I have spent more than 24 HRs and stayed in properties other than Marriott:

Qatar

Abu Dhabi

Brazil

Costa Rica

Mexico

Bangladesh

Namibia

South Africa

Cameroon

Ireland

I visited Marriott properties in 4 of these countries, but did not stay.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Bermuda - No Marriott properties at the time (or even now, not really sure)

Barbados - Hilton (father had 7 day cert from points)

I am curious why you did not stay at Marriott's, Pained.  I am guessing that in Africa, there were none where you were (though now there is Protea).  What about the other places?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto..

Yes in the case of Brazil (Brasilia), Bangladesh, Namibia, South Africa, and Cameroon....no Marriotts.

Abu Dhabi only had a Ritz at the time of my visit...no Ritz for the Pained expense account..I'm no JerryCoin.

Qatar, Costa Rica and Ireland were client recommended hotels. I had planned to extend my stay in Costa Rica at a Marriott, but Mrs. Pained had a change of plans so guess who else had a change of plans. Mexico was way back in 1983 on my Honeymoon...not sure I knew what a Marriott was back then.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This list is a mixture of no Marriott brands or Marriotts being unaffordable, or just too expensive in comparison to the competition:

Eire

Finland

Germany

Greece

Iceland

Italy

LIthuania

Morocco

Netherlands

Poland

Portugal

Slovakia

Sweden

Tunisia

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey pluto77, what a unique discussion for engaging the community on their travels. Nicely done!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As a kid much like foxglove my decisions on where to stay went unwanted.  So when we traveled to:

• Sweden
    • Norway
    • Germany
    • Holland
    • France
    • Norway
    • England
    • Ireland

we did not stay at Marriott's.....then back then I don't know where we stayed!

Since that time I have not stayed at Marriott's in:

• Germany as we wanted to stay on the airport
    • Italy since the towns we stayed did not have any Marriott's
    • St. Maarten no Marriott's
    • Bolivia no Marriott's

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback (and I hope others weigh in).  So considering all responses regarding non-Marriott stays made while an active Marriott Rewards member and loyalist, it looks like the following conclusions can be drawn regarding countries visited by Rewards members with no Marriott stay :

1. Stayed with family
    2. No Marriott's, either none in country or none in a particular major city or tourist destination within a particular country
    3. Booked tours with tour operators who didn't utilize Marriott's
    4. Non-Marriott accommodations determined by employer or professional organization
    5. Unaffordable or uncompetitive pricing
    6. I have not done this yet, but someday when I visit Maui, I think I would prefer a private condo over a resort property, also for certain trips, I would be interested in a furnished apartment type of set up rather than a hotel, so I will add 'prefer alternative type of lodging (non-hotel)' to this list.

In the future, I can see myself doing a number of international stays within countries that have plenty of Marriott's, but not in the regions where I'm traveling, ie. places like (ahem), pretty much ALL OF FRANCE OUTSIDE OF PARIS hint, hint Marriott , Bruge, English countryside, Wales, a number of places in Italy, New Zealand, Bratislava, Croatia, even southern Germany.  I suppose this speaks to item #2 above as well as an associated thread Where should Marriott open a future hotel?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Mongolia - Stayed with a friend

France - Stayed with a friend

Canada - Just stayed at the cheapest decently rated place we could find to see Niagara Falls as this was before I started travelling more frequently and joined Marriott Rewards

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...