10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2016 7:13 PM by phctourist RSS

Marriott To Give Est. 50 Million Points Away March 31st!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardingarea.com/2015/02/marriott-to-give-est-50-million-points-away-march-31st/

As reported by Marriott in Courtyard Marks 1,000th Hotel Milestone With Global Celebrations And 50 Million Marriott Rewards Points, they will be celebrating their 1,000th hotel soon. “The pinnacle of the festivities will be on March 31 when the Courtyard Walla Walla will be designated as the 1,000th hotel.” In recognition of this on the same day, “all Marriott Rewards guests checking into any Courtyard worldwide will receive 1,000 points as the brand’s milestone gift, an estimated 50 million points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott To Give Est. 50 Million Points Away March 31st!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Good spot ks77.

Whatever we here and at Flyertalk think about Courtyards policies towards MR members, there's no denying the brands success. Now it's opening the 1000th Courtyard worldwide and Marriott is marking this milestone giving away 50 million MR points on March 31st to all guests staying in a CY that night, at 1000 extra free points per guest.

Even so, I won't be staying.

But you never know, I just might stay in future if Marriott makes CY a more attractive proposition to MR members. This requires 2 major issues to be rectified:

1. Free breakfast to Gold and Plat; and

2. Points on both room rate AND incidentals.

I do consider CYs when they're about where I'm going, which isn't often. The problem is when calculating the comparable costs to FS hotels by adding breakfast and the forfeit incidentals, the CYs simply didn't cut it. Crazily enough there's no sign of the breakfast situation improving but according to Marriotts press release about the 1000th Courtyard, maybe the earning on incidental rule is changing...

"Courtyard hotels participate in the award-winning Marriott Rewards® frequent travel program that allows members to earn hotel points or airline miles for every dollar spent during each stay."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree 100%. Those are my two biggest reasons why I don't stay at them more. I actually always seem to have good CY stays, they are just never as fun or flashy as other properties (usually based on location). I mean, a top floor CY (4th floor) room near BWI airport is not as cool or fun as 15th floor CL level room at the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott where I stay a few times a year.

The one reason why I do occasionally stay at CY properties is because my travel is strictly leisure so on weekends their rates are lower and with the 10% Gold discount the rates are often very reasonable. A CY at $89 with no breakfast vs a FS Marriott at $149 with breakfast I will probably choose the CY simply because that location doesn't warrant the extra $ on the room.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

brightlybob Very well said!  I agree with everything in your post and have nothing to add except an attaboy!  I was a member of CY Club before it was folded into MR but once I reached Gold, Cybecame mmost unattractive when compared with FS hotels.  If I need to look at a less expensive hotel, FFI and RI are always the better choice.

A thousand extra points does not close the gap!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Used to stay at CY often, but their beds became more and more uncomfortable and when a brand new RI opened across the parking lot moved over to the RI where I can get a nice comfortable bed, kitchen and a BBQ grill on the patio to cook our own food.

I also will not be checking in to a CY that Tuesday.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for sharing this exciting Marriott news with the community, ks77!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Really? 50,000 people are going to check into CY on a Tuesday? 50 new guests at each CY world wide?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Not sure 1000 points will entice me to make an extra stay. Four of my last six stays were at CY and I've got a couple more coming up in next month though nothing scheduled for the 31st.

CY does seem to be almost everywhere. While not my favorite brand, it is where I stay most frequently almost entirely based on the fact that the properties are where I travel. The Platinum arrival gift of 400 points AND an item from the Market beat the other non-full service brands which usually just give 200 points OR a Market item.

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

You can buy 1000 points for $12.50.  Just sayin.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I find most Courtyards to be very pleasant and sometimes a lot nicer than full service Marriott's. I also like the Springhill Suites brand a lot.

I even remember when Courtyard was not included in the Rewards program. That all changed in 1999 when they rolled  all brands into the program.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

CY hade its own program called Courtyard Club.  Having our CY club credits, combined with our Marriott Honored Guest points made travel a bit more convenient and increased our options.  It's one of the ways Marriott enhanced value over the years, though some might argue that it opened Elite status to more people and caused the CL to become more crowded!.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...