10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2015 5:28 PM by IronPMontreal RSS

Toronto recommendations?

seattlebb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm missing the hotel reviews!  We are traveling to Toronto, Canada in September.  Any recommendations for hotels?  I'm looking at the FS Marriott at Eaton Center and would appreciate feedback if anybody has stayed there.  It will be our first visit to that area so would appreciate any "must see" ideas, restaurants, and, side trips.

Did I mention we miss the hotel reviews?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Toronto, Canada
  • Re: Toronto recommendations?
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, since you asked - and, to the extent you're platinum - see if you can get yourself one of the killer suites in the Toronto Renaissance which constitutes the center and right field upper areas of the Rogers Centre when it is in the baseball stadium configuration.  If you look around on this site, you'll find lots of us raving about it, and you'll probably find some photos too.  If you can't get a view suite, it's still a good hotel, but - in my opinion - it's all about the view of the stadium, particularly during a game!!! [Having said that, I once enjoyed a HUMONGOUS suite at the hotel which, alas, had no view, but it was still nice for entertaining colleagues....]

It's a quirky hotel - there are some of the longest hallways you'll find in a hotel anywhere, but the location is fun - it's very close to the CN Tower (which is fun).  It's walking distance to everything downtown.

As for must see, stuff (in addition to the CN Tower), if you're a hockey fan you MUST visit the Hockey Hall of Fame and, if you're a serious hockey fan, we recommend lunch or dinner at Wayne Gretzky's restaurant (which has a nice collection of Gretzky memorabilia)....  Also, the theater is quite good (and a bargain, compared to NYC)....

Travel well!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

The Skydome hotel is a great choice but it's CL is not one of the best. Some of the rooms are great but some definitely need an update. At this hotel not only do you have the Stadium attached to the hotel, you are at the foot of the CN Tower and the new Toronto Aqauarium, both great places to see.

Marriott downtown at Eaton Centre is a huge favorite of mine, great staff, fabulous CL with a lady named Anna that makes your stay very special. You are right in the heart of Toronto, just off Yonge street and right next to the shopping mecca that is the Eaton Centre. If you have any questions about Toronto just ask!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

seattlebb,

I've stayed at the Eaton Centre Marriott a couple of times.  My most recent visit was Nov 2013.  It's a well run hotel in a great location with easy access to shopping, restaurants, and the subway. The concierge lounge was really nice and staff is very attentive.  On my last stay I was upgraded to a junior suite which was really spacious.   I did a review for the hotel on Insiders but it has been removed.

Also I did two blog listings on Toronto Travel that you may find useful:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/vaboywnder/blog/2013/11/28/toronto-travel--part-1-porter-airlines

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/vaboywnder/blog/2013/12/04/toronto-travel--part-2-things-to-do

joshm Member

Such awesome contributions, vaboywnder, ssindc, and Guidedog613!

While other members of the community see this and share their thoughts, seattlebb, below is a thread that may contain information you'll find useful:

Re: Any tips for Toronto?

Hope this helps!

seattlebb Platinum

Wow, thank you for all the great info!  My husband especially appreciates the hockey fan tips. 

We will be flying in from the West coast and renting a car.  Is it better to fly into Toronto or into Buffalo, NY?  We will begin by  visiting friends in Barrie, Ontario, then a few nights in Toronto, then on to Niagra Falls (including Niagra On The Lake) and then to Travers City, Michigan where we'll return the car and connect with friends. 

Has anybody stayed at the Niagra Fallsview Marriott lately?  It sounds like we should reserve a view room rather than count on an upgrade.   Is that correct?  Is that area worth a couple of nights or would it be better to spend the second night in Niagra On The Lake?

Thanks for your help!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

seattlebb,

From your screen name I'm guessing you are flying from Seattle.  If so I would recommend booking your flight to Toronto on Porter Airlines website:  http://www.flyporter.com

Porter has a relationship with Jetblue so you could fly from Seattle to Boston on Jetblue and then fly from Boston to Downtown Toronto (YTZ) on Porter.  Since Porter flies directly into the Downtown Toronto Airport and not Pearson you will be able to get through Customs quickly and on to your final destination.  There is also a complimentary shuttle service from the Downtown Airport over to Union Station where you could take a train up to visit your friends in Barrie, ON and then not have to rent a car to drive there. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I haven't been to Toronto for about 10 years.  In 02 and 04 I stayed at the FS Marriott at Eaton Center and found the service there to be superb.  As an added perk there, (and I don't know if it;s still true) Bellmen, care porters, and some other members of staff refused to accept gratuities.  They told me that they were generously paid and that the gratuities were not appropriate.   (I did leave money for the maids.)

slamwise Platinum

If you have the points or the $$ to splurge, we stayed at the Ritz in downtown Toronto over New Year's and it was over the top awesome! Great view of the CN Tower from our room. Dinner at the top of the tower was also incredible, as was the Ripley's Aquarium and whole Eaton Centre area. We drove up from NY and parked at the Burlington GO train station and took the train into Union Station for I believe $8 each way. The hotel was about a 10 minute walk from Union Station...saved us the hassle of driving and paying for parking.

seattlebb Platinum

Thank you for the recommendations!

IronPMontreal Gold

Hi,

I go to Toronto 2 times a year. I stayed at The Eaton center, The Residence Inn, the Courtyard and the RItz. I don't know if the transaction will be complete and the hotel add to the Marriott brand but Delta Hotels and Resort was buy 2 weeks ago by Marriott. The Delta Toronto is stunting, view and bathroom (new from late 2014). 46 stories and right accross the CN tower (like the Ritz and the Renaissance). The Renaissance is really huge and it's in the Rogers center (baseball stadium). Yo can have to walk a lot to go toyour room and if you get a view of inside the stadium, if there s no show, it's pitch black!

The Marriott Eaton Center is my choice because of the lounge and the location, very good! But if the Delta is available, I would go with it. I'm going in October and I booked a corner room at the Delta. I'll see if I'll get MR points and the access to the lounge.

Delta Toronto Hotel | Downtown Toronto Hotel

If you use points, go to the Ritz and upgrade cash or points for the Club lounge access.

Marriott Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Delta Hotels and Resorts - Marriott News Center   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...