21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2016 9:17 AM by erc RSS

Plantinum Elite status downgraded

squintingorsmiling Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After being a member for 18 years and a Platinum Elite member for at the last 5 years, they've just informed me that they've downgraded me to Gold. It seems someone in their corporate offices is looking at a ledger, not to customer loyalty. I stay exclusively with Marriott---and am there at least 50+ nights a year, but sometimes more and sometimes less as business travel fluctuates.

Since finding this out, I've written and spoken to their customer service who weren't much help, besides suggesting buying the points or taking one of their challenges.I would have hoped they would honored the Platinum status for another year considering my tenure with Marriott.

I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience this year with corporate? If so, did you have any better luck the me?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Plantinum Elite status downgraded
    taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for but many of my fellow traveler coworkers  have also been downgraded after being Platinum for many years. In the past, Marriott would maintain their status if they were close but they have seemed to change their policy recently and will not maintain the status if you do not make it. Fortunately, I have made it every year for the past 10 or so years and I just made Platinum Lifetime status.

I understand you are upset but I have to say, in my humble opinion, I think they are doing the right thing. Platinum status should mean something and it should only be given to the people that meet that criteria. If they maintained the status for everyone who had it in the past, it would lose the value that is given to that status level.

I do know that many of my employees were offered the same thing. They can purchase with points ( I think 40,000) the status upgrade to maintain Platinum or accept a challenge that requires them to stay so many nights within a certain time period to maintain the Platinum status. In my opinion, I think this is more than fair.

I guess  my point is you are not alone. This year I know of at least 10 of my employees/coworkers who lost their status despite being platinum in the past for many years(much more than the last 5) so I think they are just sticking to the rules this year. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

If I understand this correctly, Platinum status hasn't been downgraded. The plat requirements weren't met last year and you landed to Gold. I don't get what the issue is? The requirements are published. Marriott rewards loyalty at different levels. Plat, Gold, Silver. It would be unfair to those that worked for that 75th night to keep plat if others were pushed through that were short.

MR does recognize long term loyalty with Lifetime Plat status. You need 750 nights, 2,000,000 points and Plat status for 7 years. (I believe 7) to earn Plat for Lifetime. (BTW: in a post below, the LTP requirements are now only 2mm points and 750 nights.)

I get your situation. Work travel fluctuates. I lost status on two airlines this year due to less flying. Sucks, but it happens. I hope to regain this year. But, its wrong to be mad at Marriott.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

I think lifetime Plat means forever not capped at 7 years.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i think he means being a member for 7 years as a requirement, but i think its 12. not sure if its still required

I just looked it up. They have removed the # of years as a Plat to earn Lifetime Plat. But you are correct, that's what I was saying see below:

Earn Lifetime membership with these milestones:

Lifetime Silver Elite250 nights 1.2 million points
          Lifetime Gold Elite500 nights 1.6 million points
          Lifetime Platinum Elite750 nights 2 million points

kristibgm Platinum

that would MAKE sense!!.... lifetime... means till you are NO longer walking/breathing  on this earth--LOL

why does it have to be SO complicated?

I clarified my post. Lifetime is lifetime. I was talking about the earning requirements to get the lifetime status.

kristibgm Platinum

OH SORRY-- I missed that part. Good to know... lifetime means as long as living on this planet

Not at all-it was my fault. My post wasn't very clear.

bazzap Platinum

I was not aware there was an "n" years (however many) requirement to qualify for any of the Lifetime Statuses - only the total nights and lifetime points, which were reduced some time ago.

Perhaps there was an "n" years requirement in the past, but I don't believe in the recent past.

There isn't anymore-there used to be. I was mistaken and edited my post. I posted the point and night chart above.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

agree with tker

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

50 nights isn't enough for Platinum, of course. In the past I've received notice that I didn't hit my 75 nights but they were going to keep me at Platinum anyway. I always assumed it was because even though my "official" nights weren't 75, my total nights always were because I stay a lot at MEA and you only get 1 "official" night for every 3 nights stayed.

Regardless, if you didn't qualify then you didn't qualify. Take the challenge or buy the upgrade or accept the level you earned.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

there are a lot of ways to get to 75. Marriott credit card 15, register for birthday 1 and of course rollover. I think Marriott has been very generous to achieve platinum without staying 75 nights 

squintingorsmiling Platinum 1 Reviews

I wouldn't be making a deal about this, but they have grandfathered me in prior years. It seems like they've done the same for others.

These actions go a long way for my loyalty--and their "scripted response" to me recent downgrade does exactly the opposite. Yes, they're a business, not a person and they should respond accordingly. That said, we're literally staying with them as our "home away from home" and enjoy and depend on these personalized touch. Their scripted responses have soured this experience.

Understood, but we may have a better picture now. You stated they "grandfathered" you in previous years-but have been Plat for only five. How many times in those 5 did they grandfather you? Sounds like they helped you out before, but not this time. If you didn't hit 75 nights in those 5 years, I wouldn't be too surprised about this.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

It''s well known, and well reported, that Mariott has comped Plat to long term members who have missed the status, usually only by a few nights, but some report renewal even after very low numbers, one was renewed on 12 nights, but that did follow years of 100+ nights and the low total was due to the member stopping his stays with Marriott as part of an ongoing dispute.

On the other hand, it is well known that Marriott does bust those that don't make the nights. I was busted to gold a couple of years ago having failed to make the Plat nights, and that too followed three consecutive plat years. I didn't make the 75, heck I didn't make 35, I was relieved to get the soft landing to Gold.

Sorry OP.... Busted. Take Gold or buyback Plat for 40k points, those are your choices...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree Bob why have any rules if they aren't adhered to. Besides the biggest benefit at least to me is the concierge and you still get it with gold. 

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I was recently downgraded from PP to P with same result as you.  My wife has cancer and my travel was grounded for last 5 months of the year.  I was 20 nights short and asked for courtesy PP status.  Marriott Rewards told me out of their control, it is computer generated list, top 3 % only.  I am LP so not a big deal really in scheme of things.  However I have been a loyal member for over 25 years, almost 2000 nights, over 6 million points, you think they would make exception.

As previously mentioned really nothing to complain about in big picture.

chris0311 Platinum

2000 nights.....wow.....you'd think they would give you a seat on the board or a permanent free room of your choice

erc Platinum

Good news everyone. Squint's only activity on Insiders was this 18 month old post. Since then, Marriott, seeing the error in their ways, granted him Platinum status (of course, now they have to deal with Prof Birdbrain who feels anytime a favorable exception is made, it must therefore become the rule).

Squint now goes by Squintingandsmiling, collecting over 175 points between tweeting and badges and hopes to cash it all in with his collection of Cat. 1-5 Certificates at a nearby Interstate Fairfield Inn - a win-win for all parties.

Bountiful Blessings: Squinty Eyes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...