8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2015 2:18 PM by fschumpert RSS

TRAVEL CHANGES

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Among the other "threads" for discussion, particularly related to travel, here's a few  that might also be of interest, especially to long-time travelers:

MOTELS: (A hybrid of motor and hotel)

How many of you remember "Tourist Homes" in the U.S., long before the advent of motels? Did you ever stay in one?

How many remember when "Holiday Inn" first started - I believe it might have been the first motel chain in the U.S.?

Do you know that "Hampton Inns" evolved from the H.I. chain - do you know where the first "Hampton Inn" was located?

Do you recall the Howard Johnson Motel ice cream shops? How many flavors did they offer?

AIRLINES:

Which airlines have you previously used that are no longer in existence?

(For me, Eastern Airlines, Southern Airlines, Piedmont Airlines, Mohawk Airlines, Braniff Airlines, TWA, Pan-Am)

Do you know from which of the earlier carriers Delta and U.S. Air evolved?

Do you remember when you could smoke in the rear of the airplane? Was that ever a problem for you?

What did you think when the first male stewards began serving on airplanes?

Do you remember when the airline "Hub" (regional) concept came into being, along with "Frequent Flyer" programs? What do you think about these? Has this been beneficial, or a detriment, to your flying choices?

RESTAURANTS:

Fast-food eating establishments were not available during my earlier years, but one of my favorites during teen years was the drive-in, similar to "Sonic" today. How many of you remember taking your girlfriend to the drive-in, and requesting your favorite song from the D-J in sound booth over the drive-in?

Do you remember which was the first "fast-food" hamburger chain?

Other developments in dining-out, aside from the sit-down, full-service restaurant,  were the self-serve, smorgasbord, buffet line, and  food courts, (especially in airports and shopping malls), and home-delivery (pizza) services.  Which do you prefer?

Perhaps you have other memories of travel changes that have evolved in your lifetime that you would want to post for the younger folks??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TRAVEL CHANGES
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, great thread Fred.....and no I'm no poet!

• Howard Johnson, loved to stop for ice cream there, maybe too often and that is the reason I don't much eat ice cream any longer.   I think it was 28 flavors.

My defunct airline list includes:

• Braniff, Piedmont, Southern, Allegheny, TWA, Continental, Mohawk, Pan Am, Eastern, Republic, British Caledonian, Air Florida, Ozark, North Central, Grand Air, National.

US Airways evolved from Allegheny, Piedmont (was the best), PSA and America West.

I believe HUBS showed up around 1982 as well as FF programs started if I remember correctly by Eastern.  FF programs have evolved into far too much nonsense with credit cards and other non flying with your butt in the seat things much like hotels.

Smoking I don't like period let alone in an airplane, ICK.

Fast Food, Royal Castle was my favorite and smorgasbords my parents loved, me not so much.

Great thread for sure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

steve31266 Platinum

My first airlines were: Air California, Western Airlines, Pan Am

Did you know stewardesses were required to be Registered Nurses?

My family never stayed in hotels/motels. It's only something I've done since I moved out. Otherwise, my family didn't own a car until I was 6 years old. We took city buses and Greyhound buses. And we only traveled to visit relatives, and stay with them.

steve31266 - Steve, did not know stewardesses had this requirement! Might ought to return to this?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

when I lived in Darien Ct I think the last Howard Johnson hotel was there and now gone

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

They also used to have a few other requirements before lawyers got involved!!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Awright! A geezer thread! Growing up, Ho-Jo's, Holiday Inns, A&W's, and Stuckey's pecan logs and pralines were staples of our everybody-in-the-Rambler-wagon cross-country tours. I can feel my blood sugar spiking just thinking about it. Gas stations I no longer see -- at least 'round these parts -- include Amoco, ARCO, Conoco, Esso, Magnolia, Sinclair, Standard Oil, and Unocal.

My defunct-airlines-flown list includes Pan Am, Eastern, Southern, Piedmont, National, and TWA.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice one Fred...

Not much on airlines...didn't fly until I was in my 20s and very seldom until I was in my 30s.

We drove from Chicago to Philadelphia every year for vacations in my school days. HoJos seemed to be at every rest stop. I still remember those horrible triangle sandwiches..yuck!!

McDonalds has been around in my earliest memories, but Burger King was an experience around 6 yrs of age. We were visiting friends of my Dad's in the St. Louis area and the host family wanted to treat us to this new giant burger..The Whopper!!....that was in 1966 or '67......I thought the Whopper was the greatest meal of all time...lol

painedplatinum - yea, I remember when Burger King first appeared on the scene in early 60's

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...