9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2015 1:54 PM by cjkatl RSS

Rant: Why Do Some PPs Get a Gift While Others Get Squat?

cjkatl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Once again, it's that time of year, where many PPs get to read on the Internet about some gift that Marriott sent out to PPs. This year, word is it's a travel speaker. I heard rumors last year of a device charger. Granted, these are cheap giveaways and I've got decent versions of both already, but why, in the name of all that is good, do some PPs get the gift and others do not? Is there a group of lesser PPs, of which apparently I'm a member? Does Marriott think in this day and age people aren't talking over the Internets? Do they think we won't know? Do they think it's good PR to slight one group of customers whom they have deemed to be among the top 3%?

It's odd; I don't mind not getting the gift itself, but it seems an insult that year after year, Marriott chooses to not send the gift. Does anyone know what the criteria is to get the gift? Why many of us are slighted? Last year, someone called and was told they didn't order enough for everyone, but if you groveled, they'd send you the $10 charger. My dignity is worth almost double that. OK, well, at least half more that.

I've got an idea, Marriott. If you don't have enough for everyone, why not reach out, explain this and offer us points? Or skip the cheap gift and offer us points, which we'd likely appreciate more. Either seems preferable to sending a cheap gift to some and irking those that don't get the cheap gift. It's like you've spent money to purposely create bad PR.

End of rant.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rant: Why Do Some PPs Get a Gift While Others Get Squat?
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey cjkatl, you've got me wondering myself! I've reached out to our team to see if they can provide any insight to this. I'll let you know once I hear back from them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I've got an answer for you, cjkatl. Our team has confirmed that not all of the gifts for Platinum Premier members have been sent out yet. Hope this helps!

cjkatl Platinum

That might, and let me emphasize might, explain this year, but I'm still waiting on last year's gift. They made it very clear that last year they only ordered enough for some, not all PPs. I'm still waiting on my charger, or at least an acknowledgement that Marriott apologizes for dropping the ball, instead of the stunning silence. What you're staying is what we were first told last year, until the word changed to there not being enough. I know you are new, and want to believe what you are being told, but experience tells me that's likely a BS line from them.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

cjk....is it possible someone in the household is getting to the mail before you?

cjkatl Platinum

I'd put that at a zero chance. I live alone. When I'm gone, the mail is held. When I am home, I can hear the mail being delivered and usually get it pretty quickly. I've been here the past ten days. There are two security cameras obviously trained on the mailbox, with a visible sign letting people know the cameras are there. No other mail has ever gone missing, including credit cards, other packages and a box of checks. In the eight years I've been here, only a pair of shoes from Belk disappeared, only to later turn up in the local post office manager's office. Given those facts, it's doubtful that gifts from Marriott, and only gifts from Marriott, regularly disappear.

Also, Marriott freely admits they did not send it to everyone last year, after stating the gift was being sent out in shifts. This year, they are at the point where they are claiming it's being sent out in shifts. See the pattern?

Again, I don't care about the speaker. It's the principle. They should have owned up to the slight and offered points in return, instead of thinking their behavior was acceptable.

Hi cjkatl, thanks for clarifying. If you DM me with your Rewards number, I can pass your information on and our team can look into it. 

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I have been a PP for 3 years and never received anything....good points you bring up.

columbussig Platinum

The only thing I ever receive is my packet upon renewal.   It is just like the fact of the various promotions, there have been times that I only hear about promotions via this website.  I then have to proactively call or email the rewards line to be enrolled.   I am 40 nights and 200,000 from lifetime platinum status, yet still have to seek out rewards.

cjkatl Platinum

I'm looking for some advice. I'm printing out this page, but need to decide how best to prepare the paper. I could roll some ricotta in the pages, top it with tomato sauce and cheese. Another possibility would be to gently bake the pages until golden and fill with pastry cream, like a Napoleon, or a spinach mixture if I wanted to go Greek. Perhaps shredding in the blender, adding fruit and yogurt would allow a delicious high fiber smoothie.

Somehow, though, I'm going to have to eat my words. The speaker just showed up in the mail. (Not that this changes last year!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...