8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2015 2:12 PM by mkmswim28 RSS

Ritz Carlton Points/Nights Accumulation

mkmswim28 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I'm planning a family vacation to the Ritz Carlton in San Juan. We are staying four nights in four rooms. Basically, I am trying to figure out how many elite nights and how many points I will be eligible to earn on the trip. I have a Marriott Rewards account (and the Marriott Visa cc).

Will I get elite night credits (towards my Marriott account) since this is a stay at a Ritz or no? If so, how many? Will I only accumulate elite nights for my room, or will I get elite nights for all 4 rooms? Additionally, I noticed this promotion on the Ritz site...will this mean I get double Marriott nights for the stay? ( Another Year. Another Opportunity | The Ritz-Carlton Rewards)

Similarly to the questions above, will I accumulate Marriott points on all four rooms, just mine, or what?

Finally, I believe by the time of my stay, I will have achieved Gold status. Do the "perks" for Gold at Marriott carry over to Ritz (free breakfast, etc)?

Thanks for the help!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ritz Carlton Points/Nights Accumulation
    vickisocal Platinum

You only get elite nights for your room.

You can get points for up to three rooms.

Marriott Gold is equivalent to Ritz Gold, however noone gets free breakfast at Ritz.

The only difference in RC status and Marriott status and membership is what promotions you are offered. The promotion you are referring to is only for RC members. "Nights stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property as a member of the Marriott Rewards® program are not eligible for double Elite night credit. "

That said it is very easy to switch from being a MR member to a RC member. Just call. Be aware that while you are an RC member you will not have access to any MR promotions such as MegaBonus.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

This is not true. I am a RC rewards member and I have access to the MegaBonus.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well there's a shocker!

Marriott and RC rewards are effectively the same scheme seperated by a Chinese wall that makes them look slightly different, I think Marriott feels that RC-only stayers would be put off having to join the common-or-garden Marriott program. Hence the separation.

AS far as I'm aware, RC members benefit from RC promos, MR members from MR promos. Of course, For all I know RC may run its own version of Megabonus. Like vickisocal my understanding is that RC members can't benefit from MR promos, and vice versa, hence if you want to take advantage of the double night credit offer from RC, you have to switch you memebrship to RC, though it's easy to do, and reversible.

joshm Member

Such an awesome and helpful response, vickisocal!

hassmh Gold

Perhaps I'm best advised to call MR for an answer, as I was planning to do when I have the time, but since I came across this topic and have almost identical questions I thought I'd join in here.

As I've already booked a 2-night stay at a Ritz for March, when I saw the promo for double Elite nights I was interested enough to look at the details (I know, 2 extra nights won't get me that much closer to Gold, but may be just enough to get me to Gold by end of year). I know I would have to switch from MR to RC Rewards to get this promo, but would that impact my current MegaBonus? I am trying to convince my wife to do a couple weekend getaways in April to get as much out of the MegaBonus as possible, so losing that would be a deal-breaker.

Anyone have thoughts on what the impact of switching programs would be, if any?

[Edit: found an answer, not sure if it's global but appears to apply it should apply to my quandary at least: Switching to Ritz Carlton Rewards impact on Promotion participation?]

joshm Member

mkmswim28,

Welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum!

As you have taken the time to do here, this place is a great resource for travelers and Rewards members looking to share insights, recommendations, travel tips and even general conversation. This is a wonderful community of well versed road warriors who are always willing to help a fellow traveler out!

As you explore the site, I would encourage you to check out our Getting Started Guide. It contains lots of useful information and tips to help you optimize your website experience. Also, feel free to reach out to me (joshm), lindseyh, or KatieC with any questions or concerns you have. We make up the community management team for the forum.

Regarding your post, I'm going to seek clarity around your questions and follow up with that I find.

Again, welcome to the forum, and looking forward to future posts!

joshm Member

mkmswim28,

After some digging, here's what I've found:

The best way to confirm that the Ritz you're staying at is a participating property is to call the reservations office and find out if the hotel you're staying at is included and participating.

Assuming the hotel is participating, the you would earn one Elite Night credit per night (member's room) regardless of how many rooms you pay for (this is the same for all Marriott participating properties). You can earn points for a total of three rooms as long as they are booked with your name and account number.  Ritz Carltons do not have Concierge Lounges and do not offer Elite benefits like breakfast.

I looked at the Ritz website and found the t/c for the double Elite Night promotion. It looks like you (the member) must be a Ritz Carlton Rewards member to participate in this promotion. Give Marriott Rewards a call, or Ritz Carton Rewards, to make that change if you'd like.

Here are the t/c's copied from their website:

Terms and Conditions

Guests must be a member of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® at the time of their stay. Stays must be at a participating Ritz-Carlton® property between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015. For each eligible night, members will receive two Elite night credits. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for Elite night credit. Nights stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property as a member of the Marriott Rewards® program are not eligible for double Elite night credit. Members can review their current status by logging into their account.

I hope this helps, mkmswim28, and let me know if you need any help!

mkmswim28 Gold

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it!