23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2015 8:10 PM by clebert RSS

Members Seem to be Leaving in Droves

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Every day I read a post from an Elite who is so upset about some slight, or change in policy, that I'm surprised to find any other guests when I check into a hotel.  Yet, the hotels all seem to be quite busy!  It makes me wonder.  Are people getting overly wrought up and threatening to quit without intending to really do so, or is something else going on.  Are they just having tantrums on-line, whenever they don't get their way, or are they trying to make a point?

Please join this thread if you have written a threat to quit Marriott, and tell us whether you followed up on it.

Also, please join this thread if you have thoughts on what is going on.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Members Seem to be Leaving in Droves
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I think they are just venting.  I love Marriott and am so loyal I've done everything except convert to Mormonism   I do stay at other brands quite a bit, too, including Hyatt, Hilton, Westin, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

PS - I could live without that portrait of JW and Bill, though.  Really.  I don't need to see those in every lobby.  Give me a break!  I do like the JW Marriott griffin though.  He can stay

kristibgm Platinum

I think..... those Marriott MEN  are CUTE!!!!.... I like seeing their pictures on the walls. At times I think of HOW COOL it would be if one of them ... was my Grandpa

Eek!  Those portraits belong in some 1960s era supper club in New Jersey.  I think the griffin is cute.  I wish he could be my familiar, like Harry Potter's owl - hehehe

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Bounce over to FlyerTalk. You'll see that there is always at least one thread in the Marriott forum about people who are leaving Marriott forever. Usually right after their next stay at Marriott. Now go over to the Hilton forum and you'll see a "I'm leaving Hilton forever" thread. SPG has the same thing. United gets at least 5 or 6 a day who are leaving them. So does Delta and American.

Yeah, it's primarily people venting. Then I suspect that there are some people who believe if they make these kinds of statements in a forum that Marriott management will see them and immediately change whatever policy they are venting about. Which, of course, is also never going to happen.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Very true the grass is generally not greener in another  yard

Jsucool76 Gold

So you mean my empty threats aren't working?

Darn...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

"What a difference a day makes,  24 little hours....." - The old song somewhat illustrates the Marriott reservation policy change. Respecting Marriott reservations, those who make advanced room reservations and cancel a few hours before check in perhaps don't appreciate the company's attempt to honor all reservation opportunities. At least Marriott doesn't appear to "overbook" reservations - like the airlines - to compensate for cancellations. I've never been denied a room reservation due to the hotel overbooking!  Yes, it's a bit inconvenient; a change in policy, but we can all adjust, I suppose. And, in conversations with Marriott reservations, if Rewards members would call Marriott central reservations about need to cancel at last minute, due to some inconvenience, I've been told they would make exceptions to the rule.

Yes, I had to cancel a stay at Chicago Blackstone last summer when my flight was canceled due to a ground stop at O'Hare, and there was no problem.  I just called the front desk to explain, and all was taken care of!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well put Fred, I have no complaint regarding the new cancel policy as when/if I cancel a reservation it is normally weeks ahead.  Now if something came up such as a flight issue then I would certainly call and explain the situation as to why I had to cancel then see what happened.

Back to the leaving Marriott topic.  I have made statements on here that I and have started staying at other hotel chains, yet Marriott is still my go to.  The grass might not be greener in the other yard, but it can be a different grass that provides a different look.  I spent eight nights last year in other hotel chain beds and found the service, rooms, locations to be fairly equal to Marriott with some things being an upgrade from Marriott. 

What does all that mean, simply put I am not leaving Marriott, just exploring different options.

Last year, I stayed at the following non-Marriotts:  Grand Hyatt New York at Grant Central Station;  Westin Downtown Denver; Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando; Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans;  Hyatt Regency Chicago.  All of these hotels were as nice as or nicer than a comparable Marriott.   I am not a fan of the décor at the flagship Marriotts.  It's not as sophisticated as what Westin, Hyatt and Hilton typically do in their properties.  But I do like the points, CL access, upgrades, etc., so I still stay at Marriott properties whenever I can!  

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Some hotels have had cancellation policies requiring day before and even more.  I have canceled reservations when I am not sure of the weather.  If the weather is going to be good, I stop while driving and enjoy scenery and such and stop an extra night.  If the weather is bad, I just want to get to where I am going.

In the past I called to cancel after 6pm in a case where I had been stranded and missed my flight.  I did not have phone access to call earlier and the hotel didn't charge me.  This is a case where I expected to be charged and they didn't.

garcarcha Platinum

I think it's great that Marriott has provided a forum where their most loyal customers can vent their concerns. I suppose we could all hold hands and sing Kumbaya so you don't have to be exposed to these diatribes. Or better yet, just don't read them. If Marriott management isn't using this as a tool to gauge customer satisfaction then their short sighted and missing a key opportunity to improve their offering.

My point should have been that stating unhappiness with the new policy makes sense.  Understanding the reasons for the new policy also makes sense. A statement that one will be less loyal to Marriott and probably stay less often at Marriott property also makes sense.

An empty threat to never stay at a Marriott, again, makes little sense to me!

kristibgm Platinum

I have only posted ONE frustration that I had with a property, I would NEVER just leave Marriott as a customer ...  just because of that ONE unfortunate situation.  99% of my stays at Marriotts have been MORE than Accommodating and     Top Notch with their Customer Service..... just my thought on this thread.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Same here. Most stays are always flawless and one bad experience should not be seen as a reflection of the overall product. I think people who state that they are never ever staying at another Marriott because of (whatever) is silly and exaggerated. You have to remember most Marriott Properties are independently owned and managed and they Marriott is pretty much only leasing the brand name. If one does not care about his costumers does not mean the others dont either.

Perhaps my greatest satisfaction with Marriott has been their handling of problems.  They usually go so far beyond what I would expect that I almost want problems to occur,

At the Harrisonburg, VA Residence Inn, last year there was an unreasonable delay in making up our room.  Since we were staying two more nights I told the manager, hoping  he would make certain that this would not be repeated.

That evening we were given a $50 gift card at a national restaurant chain and two movie tickets at a national chain.  In the past we have stayed at this RI as well as a CY and a FI in the same neighborhood.  On future stays around Harrisonburg, we will always try the RI, first.

A few years ago at a Marriott, we were treated rudely by a waitress.  The assistant manager gave us 20,000 points.  I double checked to make sure they had not intended to give us a lesser amount.

Again, this is my first choice in an area where  Marriott has close to a dozen properties around this city.

I don't want these kinds of problems to occur, but it is reassuring to know that most Marriott hotels make it up to you, when they mess up.

Lets face it!  They could not afford to be so generous if these were not rare exceptions.

Holy moley!  I'd gladly be mistreated by wait staff in exchange for 200,000 points.  Haha!  I had major problems at the Marriot Sanford Airport in Lake Mary, FL, and got a big fat nothing except that the front desk said I could get a drink in the bar and mention it was supposed to be free.  No voucher.  No nothing.  I didn't even attempt to redeem the supposed free drink.  Never staying there again!

Sorry about the typo!  It should have read 20,000 points.  It had been a rather ugly incident caused by a rude and disagreeable server.  I did escalate the situation when I lost my cool and I did apologize to the hotel manager for that.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

Never had problem resolving little problems at hotels or resorts and have stayed at a lot. But when called rewards about nights stay credit for vacations by Marriott nights the guy was very rude and helpful at all.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...