6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2015 2:35 PM by vickisocal RSS

What are the rules for cancelling reservations made with points?

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If I make reservations using points and then choose to cancel the reservations, do I get the points back?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What are the rules for cancelling reservations made with points?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have on three occasions. Would assume same cancellation policy applies

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Let me confirm this for you, Far East Man. Stay tuned!

superchief1 Platinum

I have always received my points back if I cancelled a point reservation prior to the cancellation deadline. I understand that if you cancel after the deadline, you will be charged for the room at a designated rate (not sure how they calculate it), rather than just charged the points for one night. This had never been an issue in the past because I never cancelled at the last minute. However, with the new cancellation policy, cancellations due to weather or travel delays will become very expensive. Why doesn't Marriott just charge one nights worth of MR points rather than charge for the unused room? This is especially problematic because it is very difficult to determine what that 'rate' will be. One night cancellation charge can consume my total budget planned for the trip.

vickisocal Platinum

I'm starting to think I should get a c.c. with a very low limit (300 dollars? Can you do that?) and use it as the card on file for all awards stays. Having to pay an undisclosed fee for a cancellation seems grossly unfair.

joshm Member

Far East Man,

I've looked into this for you and here's what I've found:

If you cancel within the allowed time-frame, you'll receive your points back. If you cancel outside of the allowed time-frame, you'll still receive points back, but will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's rack rate as a cancellation fee.

Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...