Hi I'm looking for some updated information from recent visitors to the JW in Cancun. All other posts I could find are more than 2 years old. I'm attending a 4 day conference in late April and have decided to pay cash for my room using the buy three get one free sand dollar rate of $209 rather than using points because as a category 8 hotel it takes a lot of points! I'm considering paying more for a room with the Club 91 access but as I will be tied up mostly 9-5 for three of the days it seems like a waste of money, maybe.
- Can you purchase the club 91 level access for just a day or two or is the fee assessed daily for the entire trip?
- How much do they charge for the access? Is it the quoted $125 per day for two or would a gold elite member get a better rate?
- If I dont club level it, do you think I would be better off with the MR package that includes breakfast at Sedona Grill or the Sand dollar with a $50 daily resort credit?
- As gold elite, at non resorts, I'm used to getting free wifi, room upgrades, executive level access and free breakfast/or 750 points. I hear that none of this applies at the JW Cancun. What has your experience been?
- Do they provide a complimentary bottle of water or two or is everything chargeable in the room?
- Is the beach currently compromised and of narrow width or has it completely recovered since several years ago?
- Is the breakfast at the Sedona Grill really worth $28 or can I find reasonable food nearby at a local establishment?
- Are there good values in excursions (to Tulum for example) at the resort or should I bbo something online before leaving?
- Are there any additional "resort fees" or surprise fees (from Marriott or Mexico) that I wont find out about until it's too late? Need to factor them into my evaluation like if I stick my own bottle of water into the mini bar to cool it, will I get charged?
Any other hints or tips would be appreciated
Thank you for your feedback
Lots of great questions here, ghostriderliny! I'm sure some of the Insiders who have visited Cancun can provide some great insight on some of your questions here. In regards to your resort fee and club access questions, I'll dig around see what I can find. Stay tuned and I'll let you know what I learn!
We haven't been to the Cancun JW since 2011, but the Club was very much worth it especially when you had excellent food offerings all day long and especially into dinner. We had some wonderful meals and appetizers before dinner if we decided to go off site to a close restaurant within walking distance.
We also had a huge corner suite that I am not sure was an upgrade or if we paid for it, but the joint was awesome.
I am planning a trip the the JW in Cancun in June and have the same questions. Most of the Reservation agents don't have a clue about the property. Here is what I found to be the most financially and point efficient reservation. Right now if you book with points for 4 nights you get the 5th for free. The you pay a revenue upgrade of $125/night to the Club 91 level. Big you log on and then go to room types - then Club 91 rooms - then room benefits... They map out all if the perks. For our trip the upgrade is well worth the very low price.
OK ... here's my two cents worth. We stayed at the Cancun Casa Magna in January (next door and connected to the JW). We traveled back and forth between both properties, and at the end of the day, we preferred staying at the Casa Magna vs the JW. Regarding your questions;
- Club 91 is not worth the upgrade
- Every morning we would get breakfast burritos at the MacDonald's across the street and bring them back and eat pool
- Free WiFi and room upgrade as Platinum member (strong signal pool side)
- Booked a trip to Xcaret at the excursion desk and found it to be price competitive with other tour providers
- There was a $25 resort fee
- The pool at the JW becomes shaded in the early afternoon
- Outstanding service and attentiveness from the entire staff
- Room rates are lower at the Casa Magna. Visit their website for deals and promos. We book using the Sand Dollar offer.
Hope this helps, we had a great time and plan on returning as soon as possible!