10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2015 11:48 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

What do You Think About the Visa "Black Card"?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've been a Marriott Visa Signature Credit Card, issued by Chase Bank, member for sometime and alternate between using this credit card - especially for Marriott Hotel charges - and American Express Platinum Credit Card for business and personal expenses. *I've also been using AMX for Cosco club purchases, but this is soon to fade out with these two companies splitting.

I just received an invitation to apply for the Barclay's Bank Visa Black Card (not under the Marriott auspices), which affords enhanced benefits, such as access to some 350 airport VIP lounges - Delta Sky Club alone costs $450/year),  25k bonus points (toward cash back) after first $1,500 eligible purchases within 90 days, no foreign transaction fees (currency exchange), reimbursement for expenses resulting from baggage delays while traveling, etc. However, reading the "fine print", it appears members only receive one (1) point for every US $ spent using the card.

By comparison, the Visa Signature cost slightly less than $100/year, while the "Black Card" membership is $495/year.

Do any of you "Insiders" use this card? I think I'll stick with my two credit cards.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do You Think About the Visa "Black Card"?
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I'm with you fschumpert, use the same two cards that you do.  They both have served me well over the many years I've used them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I assume that Costco will go with Capital one for their card like they do in Europe. I may just stop all AX cards as I would still have Marriott card and whatever Costco will use

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

fschumpert,

You would be better off with the Ritz Carlton Visa Card.  It too offers the same Lounge Club membership and similar travel benefits for $395 a year plus the Ritz Card gives you an annual $300 airline travel credit each calendar year.

Here is a link to an article you may find useful on the Black Card:  http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/visa-black-card-review-is-it-worth-it/

2travelforever Platinum 1 Reviews

Just got the Ritz card.  The upfront fee was a little pricey, but hope it is worth the expense.  I also includes 3 yearly Club Level upgrades.  Even being a Marriott platinum didn't give me that for free when I stay in Atlanta.  The best part right now is that you get 140,000.  Really can use these points too.  Need them to make Lifetime Gold. The card includes the other benefits already mentioned in the previous post and other rewards.  I also have the Marriott Platinum card and get great points with that.  I try to stick with one brand, like Marriott, to build up rewards and benefits.  Spreading myself too thin among different brands was not very beneficial.  When I found out about the lifetime status by mistake, I have been uber loyal. 

chris0311 Platinum

Hmm I always thought the "Black Card" was the nickname for the Amex Centurion. I wonder if Barclays officially naming their card "Black Card" is a bit of gamesmanship on their part.

Jsucool76 Gold

As a self proclaimed credit card guru, I'll toss in my $0.02

To the people who actually are interested, and research and discuss different cards often, the Visa Black card is a running joke. For it's fee, you get nothing special, just a flashy card. The best card in this price range nowadays is the Citi Prestige card.

The Visa Black card has been issued with limits as low as $500 before, though the CARD act won't allow that anymore as the fee is too high compared to a limit of that size.

The airport lounge access is done through airport angel I believe, no special lounges, same you would get with a comporable card like the amex platinum. The citi prestige offers the same lounges as the platinum card (sans centurion lounges) Ritz card offers LoungeClub (all these lounges are all (for the most part) part of every program)

I'm not sure how much the travel incidental reimbursement is for, but the citi prestige has a $250 reimbursement annually (which can be used directly against a ticket purchase if you so choose), amex plat has a $200 annual reimbursement, which can be used for gift cards, and ritz has a $300 annual reimbursement which can sometimes maybe be used for gift cards

Visa black has some benefits at hotels, amex has the fine hotels and resorts program, ritz comes with the marriott/ritz benefits/status, and the citi prestige offers a 4th night free at ANY hotel ANYWHERE, ANYTIME if you book through them.

All of these cards offer no FTF (foreign transaction fees), and the standard visa signature benefits (or amex's benefits in the case of the plat)

Ritz offers primary rental collision insurance, as well as some of the highest insurance payout limits you'll find for other things.

My list of cards in this price point is as follows:

1. Citi Prestige

2. Amex Platinum

3. Ritz (though it is chain specific, whereas the citi prestige and amex plat earn transferrable points)

4-99. Other random cards here

100. Visa Black Card

Visa  black card is a bargain if you can find an offer for it with a waived annual fee, otherwise, I'd say there's better options out there. Especially the amex platinum with the 100k offer (if you can find it) or the amex platinum with waived annual fee for the first year through ameriprise.

jerryl - Costco is going with citi last I heard.

chris0311 Platinum

Great post! The only thing I would add is that buying gift cards with Amex Platinum is also hit or miss. I know because I have $200 worth of Delta gift cards that I did not get reimbursed for. I tried it last December.

Jsucool76 Gold

Never buy gift cards for an airline that is a partner of the lender. They get level 3 data from the merchant in those cases

Amex: delta

Chase: United, southwest, British

chris0311 Platinum

*shrugs* My options were limited. They are only around 5 airlines you can get the incidental credit with and Delta was the only one I had points with. Not a total waste though, I may use it when I come back to the states in December. Maybe fly up to Vermont and get some snowboarding in

Jsucool76 Gold

Sorry to hear you didn't get your reimbursement. I did the same thing with my ritz card, I just bought them. If I didn't get a reimbursement, it's just an investment in a future trip. I had a plan all worked out for them anyways, so it just would've been slightly more expensive.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...