6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2015 6:13 PM by pluto77 RSS

What is the cancellation fee on an award stay

vickisocal Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

It would be very helpful is someone from Marriott could clarify.

Every points stay I look at has the same language on the web site:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until DATE (1 day[s] before arrival).

Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline.

If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

This fee equals 1 night of your room charge plus tax (for the first night of your reservation).

All my points emails say:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until DATE (1 day[s] before arrival).

What exactly does this language mean? How is the fee calculated? On Flyertalk members have been charged the "best available rate" for their first night on the day they cancel. In one case this exceed 800 dollars.

When we book a points stay are we agreeing to pay an undisclosed fee if we have to cancel after the deadline?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is the cancellation fee on an award stay
    joshm Member

This is a good question, vickisocal, and I'm happy to check into this for you.

Stay tuned!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

vickisocal,

I've checked into this for you and here's what I found:

If you cancel outside of the allowed time-frame and are utilizing points for a stay, the penalty/charge will be one nights room and tax of the current available rate. 

The charge will be applied to the credit card on file. This is the standard policy unless otherwise specified in the terms and conditions listed on the reservation and email confirmation (I.e. during special events, hotels may assess a higher penalty, however it will be specified in the terms and conditions prior to confirming the reservation and detailed on the confirmation as well).

Hope this helps clarify!

ndn Platinum

joshm,

This has been a topic of discussion elsewhere. What do they do when the hotel is 100% booked and there is no current available rate? Also, I think it is a bit wrong that the current available rate is used as the penalty. At the time of the contract signing (booking), the actual amount is not known--nor is an estimate given--for the potential fee. I would think that this makes the contract itself unconscionable because its terms cannot be defined.

vickisocal Platinum

So you are saying that I book a room for one night for 20,000 points. I get a message saying

If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

This fee equals 1 night of your room charge plus tax (for the first night of your reservation).

My flight is cancelled. I call to cancel my reservation at 8 am day of arrival. The hotel is heavily booked and rates for that night are 800 dollars. My credit card is now charged 800 dollars.

The terms of my booking says "1 night of your room charge" I would argue, my room charge is 20,000 points. But you are going to charge my credit card 800 dollars?

ndn Platinum

I believe it is an unconscionable contract:

You agree to pay an unknown amount that is not at all controlled by you.

That doesn't fly. Marriott should just keep the points for the day.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I was not aware of this policy. The only rooms that I use points for are the ones that are are uber expensive (more than I can afford or that I could reasonably justify the expense).  If I book a room that is normally 500€ on points and have to cancel last minute, I can understand debiting the 45K points.  I cannot understand debiting 500€ (or more).  This seems grossly unfair.  Even the money grabbing airlines do not penalize us beyond the miles that we used to book the flight. (Maybe they do and I'm just in the dark?)

I sure hope nothing gets in the way of my Paris/London trip next month.  The penalty could be too rich for my blood.

I would hope a Marriott property would offer grace if it were due to circumstances beyond one's control, and not due to negligence.  If they will sometimes give grace on a last minute cancellation for a cash reservation (as some here have recently reported), I would hope they would consider doing it on a points reservation, especially at an expensive property, and especially for it's elite, repeat customers.

Live in fear of this I shall not.