6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2015 9:58 AM by fhsbbmom RSS

Marriott CC Certificate

highbay Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone had any problems extending the expiration date of this certificate by 2 days?  I have several trips planned between now and August and unfortunately, every place we have planned only have categories higher than a 5.  We are currently planning a trip to Alaska and will be staying our first night in Fairbanks.  There is a category 5 property there, so we looked into arriving on Aug 3rd (when my certificate expires), but the hotel has no availability on that date…the next available date is the 5th.

I called customer service about this and was told that yes, it is possible to get that certificate extended due to it only being 2 days out, but that I would need a reservation first, then call the Rewards number for the extension.  I booked the hotel, then called Rewards.  I had the unpleasant experience of speaking to a Rep named Ashley, whose voice was EXTREMELY monotone.  She told me that she could not help me as it was too far out (meaning August) and that I would need to call back at the end of July, beginning of August before they could let me know.  She was unapologetic to the point of sounding rude. As a Platinum member, I do expect better customer service.  At least consistent information as well.

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott CC Certificate
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I'm assuming you're talking about the cert that is good for 6 months and awarded once you've reached a spending threshold on your Chase Rewards card. This past year, I received that cert in early June, right after we returned home from a long vacation. It was due to expire Dec. 10. In early November, I called to ask for a 6-month extension, explaining that because I teach, the cert would expire before the winter holidays, and if it could be extended into May, I could use the cert either during spring break or at the end of the semester. The Marriott Rewards CS agent said, "We'll be happy to extend that for you, as this cert is our 'thank you' for being a loyal Chase customer. But since the extension clock begins on the day the extension is granted, which would be today, why don't you call back in early December, which would get the cert's expiration date into June, giving you a little more flexibility in travel planning." He even gave me his name and CS ID number and said, "When you call back, if you don't get satisfaction right away, ask for me." I called back in December and talked to a different agent who cheerfully extended the date 6 months.

There was never a mention of needing a reservation first, nor a mention of having to call back close to a reservation date. I don't travel as much as many on these boards, but both times I've requested an extension -- the other time being the cert granted on the anniversary date of the credit card -- it's been granted with no hassle whatsoever. Perhaps you should try again; you may get an agent who's more accommodating. Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

highbay Platinum

Thank you so much for your information Foxglove!!! I had called Chase to see if they could help me with this extension.  Although the rep was very nice, she said that she had to put in a request to the Marketing office and they would let me know their decision within 7 to 10 days by mail.  After you posted your response, I called back and spoke to a different Marriott Rewards CS rep "Kia", and was told that she could put the change in today…which makes that certificate good through Aug 18th!  Problem solved.  I'm not sure what Ashley's problem was, but she certainly does not appear to care about a job well done!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

That's great -- glad to hear it!  Enjoy your Alaskan adventure!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So glad that everything worked out, highbay, though it sounds like you had to take the long route to get there. Feel free to reach out to our team if something like this ever happens again! Can't wait to hear all about your Alaska adventures!

highbay Platinum

I hope that whoever has authority in CS reviews the tape...Miss Ashley needs some retraining! Her attitude could cost Marriott some valuable clients!  I am very happy with the outcome!

fhsbbmom Gold 4 Reviews

I also had a bad experience with a Gold customer representative this week.  Actually, with 2, as the first one was not helpful, and the second (when I called back) was rude. I was very shocked by it, as I have always had exceptional, above and beyond service from the Marriott customer service department. I hope they take some time to look at this, as you are correct, it will cause them some good customers if not corrected.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...