9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2015 3:20 AM by john_thai RSS

United glitch

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: United glitch
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

sg......I have one small request, should you happen upon these type of glitches in the future, give me a ring before it makes the press.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

PP, by the time I find out the deal has been long cancelled!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Unfortunately, United has cancelled the tickets that were purchased this morning.  It doesn't appear that there will be any recourse since the purchase required clicking on Denmark as your home country on the United site and leaving Denmark as your country of residence when adding your billing information.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Also, IIRC, the rules in the US are that if an advertisement can be shown to be a computer error the airline doesn't hve to honor it.

sg1974 Gold

Yes I have read the tickets have been cancelled.

hope they didn't book up non refundable hotels!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I was aware of it when it was going on but did not book any travel. I would have posted on here but did not since I had the distinct feeling they would not be honored and it turns out that was indeed the case. I was able to find the deal and was considering booking it but there were several red flags that made me uncomfortable doing so. You had to go to United.com and change your country to Denmark. Then do your searches. The prices would populate in DKK. They were obviously wrong and due to currency conversion and not the fares. A co worker bought one as a why not lets see what happens. The receipt showed the fare in the correct GBP rate but the wrong DKK rate. This was indeed a situration where the fare was right, but the third party vendor who provides the currency info was wrong. United did not mess up the fare costs, the third party provider messed up their applying the currency rate. The other part was that during the reservation process you had to indicate your billing address as being in Denmark. Well all of us here in the US know for a fact we not only aren't residents of Denmark but we also do not have billing addresses in Denmark either. I tried clicking on my billing address in their drop down as United States (but still on their Denmark page) and all the fares populated in the correct USD $11,000 fares. So I knew the fares were right, just the conversion of currency. All the US based customers who tried to game the system really don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion. It took two steps on the part of the customer to make the (cheap fares) populate. Once with the website, and the other with their billing address/location.

During the Delta glitch, (which I was lucky enough to snag FC seats for my wife and I to Hawaii), the issue was that the site populated the wrong fare. It was a trip that was wholly in the US, the fare itself was wrong, it was priced in USD, purchased by a US resident, with a US billing address using a US based credit card. The real reason they honored it was that the fare itself was wrong. Whatever the reason, the decimal was wrong, the info got jumbled, whatever it was, the actual fare itself was incorrect. That is Delta's fault. They cannot sell even an obviously low priced ticket, then increase the price after the sale. The DOT would have jumped all over them. In the United case yesterday, they are saying the fares were right, the conversion in price was wrong, and I know that is right because when I tried to use my billing address as United States the fares were right.

I seriously doubt that anyone will get to use these. In previous events, the "mistake fares" were a mistake in fares and the DOT says they have to be honored. But in this case United had the correct fare, but an exchange rate error came out during the payment process. So you didn't pay the fare that was published.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Exactly.

The DOT has announced that United does not have to honor any of those tickets. The reasoning is that first, United in fact loaded the correct fare (5,000+ USD). There was a problem in the payment process so that if you used Danish Kroners you got the fare almost for free, plus taxes. Turned out it had to do with confusing commas and periods in the exchange rate. So not United's intent. Second reason was that in order to take advantage of the error, you had to accept the original fare (5,000) then go to the payment screen and change your home country to Denmark, and then get the better payment. So a bit of dishonesty on the buyer's side.

Bottom line, nobody got to fly on one of these.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...