21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2016 8:46 AM by dk69 RSS

Marriott Credit Card and The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card

eam1813 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everybody Something I have wondered for awhile but couldn't find the answer using my google-fu. I called chase and marriott and they both said I can have both cards at the same time, however I can't find out/have gotten different answers on other things.

First, can I keep it as a marriott rewards account and have the benefits of both credit cards go into the same account?

Second,  I have read in a few places that you need to have the account changed to a Ritz-Carlton account for both cards to work. Is that true?

Third, with getting gold status from The Ritz-Carlton card, does the card give you 50 nights? therefore generating 65 nights between the two cards? Something else?

Thank you in advance

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Credit Card and The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card
    ndn Platinum

eam1813,

Here are your answers:

(1) Yes, you can keep either or both cards and be either a Ritz-Carlton Rewards or Marriott Rewards member. I have the Marriott Business Premier card and the Ritz-Carlton card. I am a Ritz-Carlton member, but I was a Marriott member before. I had my account moved to Ritz-Carlton, but it wouldn't affect the cards either way. I get all the benefits of all the cards.

(2) You shouldn't have to have the account changed to Ritz-Carlton. This is really answered in answer (1).

(3) Being given automatic Gold or Platinum (after $75k spend) from the Ritz-Carlton card, you are not granted ANY nights. Your status magically changes, but there is no affect on your elite nights earned. If you have both cards, you will have Gold status and 15 nights in your account. If you spend $75k on the Ritz card, you will have platinum status and 15 nights. I you spent the $75k instead on the Marriott card, you would get 25 nights more.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Such a great answer ndn, thank you for your help!

dk69 Platinum

So if you have both cards, and spend 10K on the ritz card, you will have gold, with 15 nights.  Then to get to platinum, you will still require 60 nights to make platinum, instead of 25 more nights from gold (50 nights)?

Jsucool76 Gold

Correct.

Or you can spend 75k on the Ritz card for auto plat status.

dk69 Platinum

or spend ~$6K on 60 nights at a fairfield inn or springhill suites, and you have platinum plus elite nights towards lifetime

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

eam1813,

ndn is correct.  You can have both credit cards regardless if you are a Marriott Rewards Member or a Ritz-Carlton Rewards Member. The first year of Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card gives you Gold Status but no elite night credits.  To obtain Gold for the 2nd year you would have to make 10k in purchases.  You can also receive Platinum status if you spend 75k in purchases.

Recently I created a blog posting comparing the two cards.  You may find it useful:  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/vaboywnder/blog/2015/02/03/marriott-premier-visa-vs-ritz-carlton-rewards-card

eam1813 Gold

Thanks to both of you! This is what I thought would be true but didn't want to have both cards and have a problem.

chaznotbono Gold

I had actually just created an account to see if by signing up for the Ritz Carlton card I would achieve Gold status on my Marriott account.  Logged in, and they've already upgraded me.  Very nice!!

I now have both cards as well.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

you should have applied for the ritz sooner. I believe the 140k point offer is now gone

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jm1991,

The 140k offer link still appears to be active:  https://www.theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/offer140k

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

Are the 140,000 points Ritz Carlton points or MArriott reward points?

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

Link now says the 140,000 points offer has expired

chaznotbono Gold

I called twice to confirm that I had the 140,000 offer, and asked them to send me a letter confirming that's what I'll receive.  After all of the members here having issues I was a little unsure.

Received my card today, very cool package that they sent 1day air.  Cracked it open and there was a beautiful "plastic" card.  Apparently they've run out of materials and have been sending plastic cards out.  However, the rep stated that as they get them back in they'll be sending out the metal ones.

Jsucool76 Gold

Shouldn't be any issue with the 140k offer. Even if you applied with a different offer while the 140k offer was active, chase is very good about matching sign up bonuses.

Also, I've heard mixed reports about the plastic cards. Some saying metal would be back in stock by mid-late march, others saying that they're considering going back to the "old" style ritz cards, which were the same metal core style as CSP and Marriott card.

taxman193 Big no go on the Southwest Giftcards now, as JP Morgan has started looking into level 3 transaction data (which they receive based on their partnership with Southwest Airlines). It is still fairly easy to make use of with upgrade fees, checked bag fees, or by purchasing a lounge membership. Some have also reported success with american airlines gift cards fairly recently.

Also, be aware, if you stay less than 50 nights a year (enough to maintain gold status without having the ritz card) you will NOT get any rollover nights. 

I've also heard of some having luck with the club upgrades on non-rack rates, and as far as the $100 credit on paid stays of 2 nights or more @Ritz goes, you can check those rates by using code (i believe) Z34

I'm loving my ritz card so far. I should get my 140k points by tuesday, I've already used $600 in airline incidentals (on gift cards before the crackdown (dec '14 and jan '15), I've already made heavy use of the concierge, and I'm LOVING the JPM Executive Office customer service line.

Plus I got my annual fee waived

chaznotbono Gold

Yeah, not sure how you pulled off the waived fee but that's awesome. 

When I spoke with the chase rep he said that they expect to have materials back in around the mid to late march timeframe and they will be immediately sending those cards out to those of us that received plastic ones. All in all I'm pretty happy with this card so far.

Have you already received your Club Lounge card in the mail?  I'm interested in visiting one of these, read some reviews that they're as good as the Delta lounges.

chaznotbono Gold

Fortunately I saved my screen shot, as many on here advised, for the 140,000 points.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I too applied for and received my Ritz card based on the 140,000 point offer. I also have a Marriott Premier card. I think all your questions were answered above but just to be sure, you will received points from both cards to your Marriott reward number. I do not have a separate Ritz reward number and just entered my Marriott rewards number for the Ritz card. Points are credited to my Marriott rewards number when I used either card.

I will say that the one benefit that is not on the Ritz card vs Marriott card is the credit for one night toward your elite status when you spend $3,000. That's too bad. I may have started using my Ritz card permanently if it had the same benefit because of the extra 10% credit toward points. However, I like getting the bonus nights toward my elite status so not sure that I will use the Ritz card after this year. I will of course use in the first three months to receive my 140,000 points.

I sent a private message through Chase asking that they confirm that I will receive 140,000 points once I spend $3,000 in three months and they did respond and I saved this e-mail so I am confident I will receive the 140,000 points.

I agree the presentation of the Ritz card is very impressive. My package arrived by UPS in a big box and the card is metal with the chip and very heavy. I like it, a lot. I just wish they would give me the same elite night credit for every $3,000 spent like the Marriott card.

I have not had a chance to figure out how to get the benefit from the $300 airline credit but I will. I have heard some people had success purchasing Southwest gift cards and receiving the credit on their card but others have not so I haven't decided yet whether to try this. The Ritz upgrade certificates are not very useful to me since they can only be used on a paid stay and only at the regular rack rate (so can't be used with a AAA rate or Government rate).

stratman560 Platinum

I too hold both cards as well Taxman and after I get thru the 3k spend for 140,000 points, Ill prob use the Marriott card for the bulk of my day to day with the exception of major purchases and car rentals.  I must say the Ritz card has some pretty good purchase protection on it and the fact that you get PRIMARY rental car coverage thru the Ritz Card versus secondary on the Marriott would save me much dinero on my insurance rates should I get into an accident with a rental.  Food for thought I guess.  I agree with you though, if the elite night for 3k spend was on this card like the Marriott,  id just stick with the Ritz and prob cancel the Marriott card.  Im Platinum and even though im garaunteed never to go below Gold as long as I spend 10k on the card, the extra 50% points and welcome amenity points make it worth keeping up Platinum if possible.  That being said, I really do like the Ritz card and im glad I was able to get in on the 140k points offer before it died.  Loving my SkyClub membership I got as well for $300 off!!  Thank-you Ritz/JP!!

heyandy Silver

I have read this chain and one additional question.  The Ritz-Carlton card also gives you 3 upgrades to club level.  Does that apply to any Marriott stay?

And as to all the other answers, appears I am good staying in my Marriott Rewards account and skip getting a Ritz Carlton Rewards account also with this card.

Jsucool76 Gold

You cannot use the club level upgrades at Marriott properties, but the card gives you gold status which grants you guaranteed lounge access at any MARRIOTT property that has one. (note: Gold status does not grant guaranteed club access at Ritz Carlton hotels, hence the upgrade certificates)

Also, this card would not make a Ritz account for you, it would link to your Marriott account. Only one account.

Also, be aware the 140k offer is now expired. Right now it is a tier (not category) 1-4 certificate, which can still be worth more than 395$

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...