8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2015 1:06 PM by superchief1 RSS

Affiliaton with Hertz

len Gold
Currently Being Moderated

When traveling I often need to rent an automobile.  I know that Marriott and Hertz have a partner relationship and supposedly Marriott Reward members get discounts on rentals, up to 30 to 35% off the standard rates.  I have tried using this offer, but over the years I have found that I get better deals for similar vehicles through other online travel vendors (like Orbitz) or, in some instances, going directly to Hertz without the discount promotion I have secured better rates.  Am I missing something?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Affiliaton with Hertz
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Nope.

You just answered the age old question "When is a discount not really a discount?"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

I seldom find the Marriott discount to be very good. I typically use AAA, Interval travel, and Amex platinum rates which are usually much lower. However, now we typically find the best rates through Costco for Avis, Budget, or Alamo.

len Gold

Thanks to those that provided insight on the Hertz discounts. Searching multiple sights appears to be the best approach for finding good value on auto rentals.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I find that rental car rates are almost as bad as airfares when it comes to them being all over the map. You can book using a code that claims 30% off, then turn around on the same site and book the same rental cheaper with no code. I find it pretty silly. My course of action is to look as far out in advance as possible, and book the best rate I can find. Then each few days or once a week do another search. If a better rate comes along, book it and cancel the previous one. Perfect example: During a trip to Maui in 2012 I really wanted a Jeep Wrangler. Not all rental car companies will guarantee a Wrangler. About 4 months out the best rate I could find for 9 days was $980. I went ahead and booked it knowing it would improve. Sure enough a month later it was $685. Then a month before the trip it was $550. For a 9 day rental for the car I wanted I thought that was pretty good, especially on Maui. It took some effort on my part but saving almost half. Also, I have always found that Hertz is the most expensive every time I look to rent a car. I find that Enterprise is quite good. Their cars are in good shape, their rates are usually solid, and I have had lots of great experiences with their staff. Quick pick ups, quick drama free drops offs, and decent rates, it's all you can really ask for.

superchief1 Platinum

I have recently found another problem with Hertz. Rates can vary significantly by rental facility. I recently found a rate at the Concord, CA location that was less than half the cost of the same rental at the Walnut Creek location about 4 miles away. I usually try to avoid picking cars up at the airport due to the exhorbitant taxes and facility fees (especially Phoenix). Marriott hotels previously had convenient Hertz locations, but now they seem like they are never open, and nobody is there when they are supposed to be open.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Very true most airports have extra charges on rental cars from  ballot initiatives or legislative bills to cover stadiums, airport improvements , convention centers etc as generally the voters dont pay for them. It is usually far cheaper to rent off airport if you can 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Absolutely. The only issue I have with off airport is their hours on Saturday are usually horrible 9AM-1PM and Sunday they are usually closed. So if you want a car for the weekend, you either have to get it before 6PM Friday which is tough for many people, or on Saturday AM. Then you have to return the car at say 7AM Monday, which again, makes it tough for working people to drop it off and then get to work. They really don't make off airport car rental easy for working folks.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree that picking it up can be a problem due to limited hours. However, I often return the rental car to the airport location. The taxes and fees are typically only charged when picking it up at the airport, not for drop offs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...