4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2015 7:10 PM by jm1991 RSS

Is it wrong to get a room for friends so I get the points and they might get benefits?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have 2 friends coming for a visit and they asked me to recommend a hotel. There is a Marriott close by so, naturally, that is where I pointed them. Afterward, I started thinking that if I booked and paid for the room then I would get the points and they might get some benefit (definitely wouldn't get less than they would on their own) and it would be a win/win.

Is there anything wrong with that? I'll admit, my initial thought was that it was probably at the very least shady and I don't like to do things that feel shady, so I didn't want to do it. But, that was because I thought I'd have to book the room for 2 and I check in with 1 of them and then later hand the key off to the other and let them sneak in. After checking out the rates, the room will accommodate 3 people (and at the same rate) so I could just book it for all 3 of us, we all 3 check in and then there's not really anything requiring me to stay there.

That seems pretty much above board to me, but I wanted to check against the moral compass of the community, so let me know what you think.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is it wrong to get a room for friends so I get the points and they might get benefits?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I am pleased you don't like to do anything "shady".  Neither do I.  I think the terms and conditions are pretty clear.  They state

"A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. To ensure Points are automatically posted to the correct Membership Account, the Member's Rewards Program Membership Number must be present on his/her room folio and up to two additional rooms, as applicable."

Note, the member must STAY in the room, not just check in.

I have done what the T&Cs state is OK, in that I have booked 2 rooms, one for ourselves, the other for friends.  I have received points for both rooms, and elite nights for just one of the rooms.  All that is totally within the rules.

So I do think what you suggest goes against my personal moral compass and the T&Cs.

Hope that helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is it wrong to get a room for friends so I get the points and they might get benefits?
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I have two guys from The Netherlands, whose company I represent in N.A., arriving in U.S. this Sunday, and I've made hotel reservations for the three of us in several cities. Since they do not have Marriott membership, by booking their rooms in my name - and card number - I'm credited with nights' stays, but by not paying for their rooms, I don't merit the points for the cost of room.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

just Refer them to marriott. way less shady, they get to keep their earned points and you get points as well. Tell em its free and if they were willing to help you out achieve x mount for vacation or something. you can send them an invitation

How It Works

• Refer up to 5 new members each calendar year.
    • Earn 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points for each stay your referrals make beginning with their first paid stay, up to 5 stays per referral. That’s 50,000 bonus points for you.
    • Your friends will also earn 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points beginning with their first paid stay, up to 5 stays. That's 10,000 bonus points for them, in addition to the base points they’ll earn.
    • Stays at any participating hotels qualify, and must be made within 365 days of enrollment.

With Marriott Rewards, the rewards of friendship are better than ever. Invite your friends to join today!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...