20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2015 10:26 PM by wb RSS

The joys of Government Rate.

ploeg8393 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Thought you all would like this.  I have the days on lock for a future lifetime platinum but paying government rate does not give me the required points.  At least I am getting all of these points for free.

http://i.imgur.com/9LtA1VF.png

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The joys of Government Rate.
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I don't understand. Are you just saying that you get less points because the government rate is lower (sometimes)? Or is the government rate somehow ineligible for points and I just never realized it?

You have a credit card or anything else to help boost the points earning? Interestingly (to me), my overall numbers are quite a bit lower than yours, but you average roughly 1298 points earned per night stayed while I've done about 1992.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I don't understand either.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The government rate can be substantially lower than other rates so my guess is that's why the OP believes the points will be less.  My guess is with bonus points tossed in they just might make the minimum in points anyway.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I believe that is what he is saying . Since the government rate is lower and points are based on what you actually pay you get less points per stay than if you were paying rack rate. I also suspect that he must use a government credit card and might not be able to use the Marriott reward card

ploeg8393 Platinum

The government rates can be much lower than the normal rates.  For example i paid $169/night in Waikiki and $147/night in San Diego for the high end properties.  Most of my stays have been at $79/night.  I used my premier card for the first half of the stays but they took that perk away and I use a corporate card now.

7, You are averaging 50% more per stay. That is quite substantial.

Those points are with the 50k from the card and getting mega bonus twice.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Mine are almost all in DC where the gov rate is $177 (sometimes higher than regular rate which really ticks me off) or overseas. Plus, I have pay out of pocket and get reimbursed, so I always use my Marriott Visa (use it for all my daily purchases, personal flights, train tickets, etc... too so I guess the bonus points add up).

Why are you using your personal CC to pay for you room?  When I was working if you didn't use your government CC you got flagged by GovTrip and then "Lucy had some splaining to do"!  I still got all my points and nights for Marriott Rewards so that is a curiosity to me.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I do not have gov credit card. I have to pay out of pocket & then fill out a voucher to get the per diem to reimburse me.

Bearing in mind I am in the UK where things are different, could someone lease explain to me what on earth this "government rate" actually is?  We have no such thing over here.

ploeg8393 Platinum

If you are a government employee and are on "official business" you can get a discounted rate.  It is the same as a large company having a negotiated room rate except it is available at every chain.

Thankyou.  We have nothing like that here in the UK. So do you have to prove you are on government business when you check in?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Terms and strictness vary by hotel. Usually, you only need a government ID and sometimes they also allow personal travel of government employees. Sometimes they don't even ask for the ID. I have heard that sometimes they will ask to see orders. I've never been asked though.

wtr Platinum

I Am strictly a Government rate Platinum as well.  If your Government credit card is on file and you're using that to pay, they generally don't need to see your Government ID.  I will be in the same boat as this OP With a lot of stays but fewer points.

When traveling on official business, hotels are supposed to go on your Government card. 

I used the government rate for personal travel for years and at hotels we frequented often they seldom wanted to see the ID as they had record of us previously staying there.  So I would travel with my ID regardless and it also helped quite a bit in security lines at certain airports allowing us to use the Crew Line.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I use the government rate most of the time, whether for personal or official travel. Out of habit, i present my ID when I check in. Never had an issue. On business, I do have to use my government credit card instead of my MR Visa, but I don't mind forgoing those points when someone else is picking up the tab.

In case anyone is curious about the official Marriott Policy, it states that "To be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States." Details can be found at Marriott Hotel Rate Frequently Asked Questions.

The rate can be significantly lower than regular rates, but not always. In and around Washington, D.C., the government rate is often not the best choice. It's always a good idea to check whatever different rates for which you are eligible.

Of course as has been pointed out earlier, paying less for a room does reduce the number of points earned, but I prefer to save money over earning more points.

ndn Platinum

My wife qualifies for the government rate. What I have found is that in DC, the government rate is often available and better than rates at hotels that are bumped in price due to conferences. However, the rate is worse than hotels night experiencing such price increases--and rates are worse than Rewards or Elite Exclusive Offers.  Outside the DC area, the prices are quite good, but with limited selection of hotels. For example, virtually nothing in San Francisco will be available on the government rate. In NYC, the government rate is pretty decent for a few hotels, but not available at many. You are often expected to commute from a suburb, where the rate will be good.   

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yeah, I'm about to go to DC (actually staying in Rosslyn) and there are regular rates cheaper than the gov rates. As a taxpayer, I hate to pay a higher gov rate, but the cheaper rates tend to be less flexible if something happens that requires me to cancel or leave early or anything like that.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

When I was on the Defense Science Board I was always amazed that they made me always book a fully refundable airline rate. So when I would be in New Hampshire going to Dc it would be 1000 vs a non refundable rate of say 400. Since I had to go thru the government travel agency I had no choice

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

this is out of topic, but if i book a prepaid, non refundable hotel room and my credit card offers trip cancellation insurance. Does the card cover the cancellation fee in case i do cancel because im sick or something?

wb Platinum 5 Reviews

I'm a government employee who travels 70 - 90 nights a  year on official business.  I stay in Marriott properties most of the time.  For you taxpayers out there, if a government employee stays at a Marriott, he/she pays the same as if he/she selected a Super Eight.  To the penny.  There is no abuse of taxpayer money afoot here.  I have found that, since the government is generally (but not always) lower than other rates, I accrue at a slower rate than my private sector colleagues.  I still have accrued enough to be Platinum Premier for a number of years. I have not felt that I was a "Child of a lesser God" in Marriott's eyes because I was govt. I do feel obliged to use the government travel card, which does restrict your point accrual, but Uncle Sam is paying and he can direct that sort of thing.  You can access the government rate when staying on personal trips.  Don't use the government card. Not cool for personal expenses.  In those cases, you can use your Marriott card and get the bonus. I have been asked for government ID about 10% of the time. Government rates tend to be generally cheaper in the hinterlands, like a Fairfield Inn out in the sticks.  If you are going to a big city, government rates are generally better Monday thru Thursday.  But they stay the same over the weekend when the road warriors go home.   The hotel may well lower other rates.  If you're going to DC,. NYC, Philly, LAX, SFO, etc, check out the other options if you're going on a weekend.  AAA, Senior, or just a weekend rate may beat government Thur thru Sun.     

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...