23 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2016 7:27 PM by nationwide RSS

JW Marriott Austin

Mmmm.Jason Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just checked in to the brand new JW Marriott Austin in Austin, Texas, US!

Today is the JW's first day to have public guests.  It's Friday the 13th but no doubt the staff here have got it covered.  I'll post more info into this thread as I snap pics and experience Marriott's premier new property!

IMG_4394.jpg

Lobby.  Corner restaurant is to the left, Registration Desk is ahead.  There is a beautiful lobby bar to the right (not see, n here, not yet!)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Austin, Texas, USA
JW Marriott
Austin Texas
JW Marriott Austin
  • Re: JW Marriott Austin
    curiousone Platinum

Looking forward to additional information. I have a weekend trip to Austin in April and was looking at the RI, but this might be worth the extra points, depending on what you say. I will be very interested in how they treat you as a Plat. It looks like a great location for exploring the city by foot. Planning on doing a Segway tour to get a quick feel for the city.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be there next week scouting for sxsw venues

Mmmm.Jason Platinum

proelite,

Check out my pic below of the nighttime view; the RI/CY is just two blocks away.  I happened to stay at the CY my first night in Austin this trip, and it was a fine property.  I encountered no problems there.  It also has a restaurant open till midnight, and a Starbucks in the lobby.  They also have washer/dryer ($1/$1, free detergent), and the workout room and pool are in great shape.  The Austin Marathon was occurring this past weekend so there were a lot of fit runners checking in as we were leaving for the JW.  4th Street and 6th Street (live music venues) are literally around the corner.  The property has a prominent "no-noise" policy and evicts rowdy guests that disturb others.

You will be in a perfect spot to explore the city by foot in downtown or by Segway.  There are also many Smartcar rentals available throughout the city (Car2Go in Austin).  There are also many rickshas around downtown by eager pedal-ers.  And of course there's always Uber and Lyft; cabs are periodic.

THANKS for the heads up on the new hotel. I'll be there next week and may change a SXSW venue to have a few guests at the new JW

Mmmm.Jason Platinum

The meeting space is absolutely beautiful.  I did not hold an event on this stay, only lodging.  But, I did wander about the meeting space to have a look.  Multiple events were in progress at the time and the attendees seemed to be happy and comfortable in the space.  Navigation into and through the property isn't a problem.  There is a full-service (and nearly full-size) Starbucks integrated into the lobby on the second floor.  This suggests its focus is on serving the guests and attendees than people off the street (they have to take an escalator ride to get there, and it's not prominently marked on the exterior).

You may consider the concierge (aka "executive") lounge as a meeting space.  I don't think it's reservable but if you wanted to just have an indeterminate length meeting, it's the most spacious and well stocked lounge I've ever seen with plenty of social alcoves.  There was never a time when the lounge was crowded or noisy, even at full occupancy.  The lounge runs 7 days a week.

If you'd like any particular photos, let me know.

THANKS for the heads up on the new hotel. I'll be there next week and may change a SXSW venue to have a few guests at the new JW

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Thanks for the info.  This hotel was still under construction when I visited Austin last fall.  If I make it back to the area I would like to give this property a try.

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews

Hotel looks nice but the JW Austin website was not very useful.... how about some real photos of the place and the rooms instead of these artist renditions all over.   They were not very useful.    

Mmmm.Jason Platinum

mybnj,

I promise, they're coming!

I like to make sure my photos show all the detail you want to see and have the right exposure, framing, etc.  There's also a few rules I have to make sure the photos follow or else they will be removed (example:  I cannot have any Marriott associates in the photos; that makes for tricky photo-taking of social spaces).  Sometimes, I have to re-shoot photos because of this.

If there's anything in particular you'd like to see, let me know and I will photograph it for you.  I check out tomorrow.

joshm Member

mybnj,

You bring up a good point, now that the property is open.

I'll pass this to our team and look into the website being adjusted to include photos of the property!

Mmmm.Jason Platinum

Update:

I check out tomorrow and will be writing up my full review with lots of pictures, complete with all the little details you want to know.

I'm dining with Osteria Pronto now and Corner restaurant tonight (Avocado cheesecake, now there's something new).  My stay has been on the 34th (top) floor and I've made several visits to the lounge (by far the absolute nicest and most expansive lounge I've ever seen in a Marriott).  Worked out in the gym a couple times too.  Won't be taking a dip in the outdoor heated pool.  :-(  Temperature dropped to 38 today in Austin so a bit chilly for me.

If there's anything in particular you'd like me to photograph or inquire about, let me know before checkout time tomorrow (11am) and I'll do it!  I get immediate emails on this thread so go for it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

PS  Here's a few sneak photos...  Just can't help but share early!

IMG_4457.jpg

Arrival court off 2nd Street, between Congress and Brazos.

IMG_4450.jpg

Close-up of "rope wall" in lobby bar

IMG_4403.JPG

Daytime view looking southeast from my east-facing room on 34th floor.  Notable buildings, clockwise from left:  Austin Convention Cetner, condo building, Four Seasons, commercial high-rise.  Colorado River in background.

IMG_4489.jpg

Nighttime view looking northeast from my east-facing room on 34th floor.  Street below is 3rd St.  Notable buildings, clockwise from top:  Hilton, Austin Convention Center, Hyatt Place, condo building, Residence Inn / Courtyard combo.  Colorado River is just south of this view (not in picture).

Location Brand Hotel
    Austin, Texas, USA
      joshm Member

These pictures are awesome!

I've never been to Austin, but seeing these has me quite interested in taking some time down in the lone start state.

curiousone Platinum

Any idea when you will be finishing your post on the JW Marriott Austin? I am really looking forward to more information.

joshm Member

Thanks for sharing, Mmmm.Jason!

I'll have to check into the possibility of staying here upon a visit to Austin.

marr10ttguy Platinum

HUGE Thank You to the JW Marriott Austin! What a great property in a great city.

April (previously at the JW Indianapolis) checked us in, she was very professional and represented the JW brand perfectly. This was our 750th night qualifying us for Lifetime Platinum (points were hit a long time ago).

They comped us the Presidential Suite! Did not expect anything, especially given the small percent of suites at this property, but they were very gracious and took great care of us. Thank you!

Pics of the PS: (This is all part of the PS). Floor to ceiling windows around probably 90% of the suite. Perfect for corporate events... Private events...

Meeting / area.

Meeting Area.JPG

Corner view meeting area.

Corner Meeting.JPG

Corner view meeting / sitting area (TV).

Corner Meeting Sitting Area.JPG

Sitting / waiting area. Second TV on opposite side of wall from first TV.

Sitting Waiting.JPG

Waiting and entrance area (closer).

Waiting and Entrance.JPG

Bedroom, King Bed.

Bedroom.JPG

Huge Bathroom. Tub and shower.

BR.JPG

Huge Shower.

Shower.JPG

Double Vanity.

Vanity.JPG

Thank you again to the JW Marriott Austin.

Location Brand Hotel
    JW Marriott
    Austin Texas
    JW Marriott Austin
      carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great pictures marr10ttguy!! I travel to Austin a few times a year and based off of your recommendations, I'll have to check this property out!! Thanks for sharing!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Great Pics!  Thanks for sharing!

superchief1 Platinum

I attended a conference at this property in April and had a great experience. The food and service for all of our large conference events was outstanding. The CL and fitness centers are very nice. This is now one of my favorite Marriott properties. The only downside is the horrendous traffic. Leave yourself plenty of time getting to and from the airport, especially during the extended rush hours.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I just checked into JW Marriott Austin today.  WOW, great service, upgraded to suite.  Staff in lobby was everywhere, super friendly, informative and took care of all my questions. I had dinner at Osteria Pronto, amazing.  There are lots of choices in downtown Austin for dinner, but Pronto is as good as any of them.. The service, food and atmosphere were great.  Only problem is I will only be here 1 night. Can't wait to be back, keep up the great service.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I just checked into JW Marriott Austin today.  WOW, great service, upgraded to suite.  Staff in lobby was everywhere, super friendly, informative and took care of all my questions. I had dinner at Osteria Pronto, amazing.  There are lots of choices in downtown Austin for dinner, but Pronto is as good as any of them.. The service, food and atmosphere were great.  Only problem is I will only be here 1 night. Can't wait to be back, keep up the great service.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Does anyone know if I can walk across Congress Ave. and cross the Colorado River on foot?  I have a conference at the Hyatt Regency Austin which is just across the river from the JW.  Of course I will stay at a Marriott property, and the JW looks like the best one.  CY is about the same price, and the JW brand is generally much more posh and has a CL, etc.  Thanks!

erc Platinum

Yes, an easy walk. Several bridges can be crossed by foot and there are a few trails along the water as well. If going in March or later, look for the bats (right before sunset)  bats in austin - AOL Video Search Results

nationwide Platinum

clebert We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of cocktails in the Adirondack chairs on the lawn behind the Four Seasons, and then took the very short walk down to the bridge to watch the bats at sunset during the summer.  It was truly a memorable experience, and one I highly recommend. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...