75 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2016 9:36 PM by john_thai RSS

New Cancellation Policy at Marriott

marriottmaniac Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

On my recent reservations in 2015, I have been informed that cancellations now must occur a complete day ahead of your scheduled check in instead of the normal 6 pm on the same day.  This policy may mean that I will be no longer staying at Marriott properties.  As a frequent business traveler, there are many times when I need to change my plans of where I am staying and need to cancel a reservation at a property in one city and stay in another city elsewhere.  Any comments??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Cancellation Policy at Marriott
    melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Let me look into this for you, marriottmaniac! I'll let you know what I find out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Hi Marriottmaniac

At some properties some even have a 3 day cancellation requirement--it just makes things more complicated because sometimes my trials cancel, for whatever reason, at the last minute but before I have left the Airport and then I'm stuck with one nights stay........................Bill

davefromtn Platinum

Complain, Complain, Complain every time you checkin and whenever you check out.  Complain to bell hops, conceirges , shuttle drivers, wait staff, security, whoever you see working at a Marriott property.  Hold up the front desks lines complaining!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

People do that already. Complain about rooms to cold, rooms to warm, TVs too loud, TVs not loud enough, water too hot, too much water pressure, not enough water pressure, DYKWIA. Just one more thing for complainers to complain about.

Some people have a business that requires quick changes and the new policy will hurt them. To me that's called "cost of doing business in that manner". You may not have a choice. That may be the nature of the beast. But it's your beast. Why should others, including the investors that own the property that Marriott is managing, foot the bill for it?

davefromtn Platinum

I personally don't care about the investors that own the properties that Marriott is managing.  For twenty plus years they have had no trouble taking my credit cards for thousands of dollars in charges.  Empty parking lots is what I'm seeing at the local motels (that's all most Fairfields  and Courtyards really are MOTELS!)

Marriott just doesn't seem to value its loyal rewards members.  Its not to my advantage to have to stay at a Holiday Inn on the day my plane is scheduled to arrive and then move  to a Marriott.  In fact if I find the Holiday Inn satisfactory why should I even move at all.  I don't see Fairfield and Courtyard as luxury brands or even upscale.  Why should I "gamble" with my money to stay at these dumps?  I've stayed in them for years when cheaper motels were nearby...for loyalty?...for points?....not anymore!

I really don't know who the "others" are you are referring to.  Perhaps they can shed light on how the new policy is to my advantage.  Maybe Marriott just hired some people from JCPenney who had to be let go.  Your "Beast" ranks right up there with Ron Johnson at JCPenney!  Hows the Marriott stock doing?

Personally I care about all involved. You, me, investors, employees, etc. You feel that they don't value their loyal members but I don't share that feeling. They have done nothing to say that they don't value me.

The primary driver of the change, as I understand it, is that they see people taking advantage of a "loop hole" with consolidators. Marriott properties will open their inventory to consolidators around 3:00 PM if they have empty rooms. People will make reservations at a regular rate, see the consolidator rate open up, grab one of those at the lower rate, then cancel their regular reservation somewhere in that 3 hour window. It's costing the properties money. And who pays that money? The rest of us who stay there pay it because they embed this loss into their room rate. So who are the "others"? Me, you, the investors, the employees.

The new policy may or may not be to your personal advantage. But clearly Marriott feels it is to the advantage of most, or at least enough, of the other people involved, including other guests, that they made the change. Perhaps they are wrong.

The way I see it is that if a small group of people have a business process that is unique and requires these kinds of changes, that group should be the ones absorbing the costs.

Having said that, the last 4 reservations I have made at Marriott this year all come back that they still honor the 6:00 PM cancellation. Rather than assume that you're going to lose out, I suggest you take a look at the detail of your individual reservations rather than a blanket statement from Marriott Corporate. After all, it is up to the individual properties whether or not to enforce the change.

davefromtn Platinum

IF the 6pm policy is still being honored that changes everything.  I typically do not travel much until after tax season.  I never used or had any desire to gain points or badges in these forums and personally think they are a huge waist of time.  Right now the rate rules all seem to read 1 day before arrival cancellation. 

ron1012 Platinum

John_thai - I am sure you are good "company man", I have seen several of your posts trying to defend Marriott on this poorly conceived and executed policy change.  Unfortunately, like the cancellation policy change, you too, are poorly executing your response to Marriott's most loyal customers who take time to express their thoughts and frustrations regarding this issue. Rather than staunchly defending a policy that is most certainly causing your most loyal customers to look elsewhere, you should be convincing the company to modify the policy to end the bleeding of your most loyal customers and end a reason for them to look elsewhere for their hotel needs. Instead of defending a failed policy change, you and Marriott should be utilizing the vast knowledge and creativity of Marriott’s most loyal customers to develop a comprehensive approach that addresses the consolidator issues without penalizing and frustrating a key and valuable demographic, your Platinum and Platinum Premier members. Marriott has our contact information, so why not conduct a survey, explain the situation and seek input from us. Show you care, demonstrate the same level of loyalty to us as we have to Marriott.  John, if you are an employee of, or a paid contractor for Marriott, as I suspect you may be, it is time to rethink your approach to both how you respond to us and how to revise the cancellation policy to be friendlier to us Platinum and Platinum Premier customers.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Amen!!!

I am neither an employee nor contractor with Marriott. I have no business relationship whatsoever beyond being a long time customer. Your accusation is somewhat offensive. Perhaps you should look at yourself and decide why it is that if someone holds a different opinion than you do there must be something nefarious going on.

And, BTW, I'm a Lifetime Platinum. And currently staying at a Marriott. So maybe all the Platinums don't hold the same opinion that you do. Nor are we all leaving Marriott.

The policy may be (and probably is) some to look elsewhere, but it certainly isn't "most". I haven't seen much difference in how full their hotels are.

ron1012 Platinum

John, I hear you, I too have been a longtime Marriott customer as well with over 1600 nights and a Lifetime Platinum as well, and I would submit that what you and I see at hotels we stay at, is nothing when compared to the depth and breadth of the Marriott system, which I presume is why Marriott felt the need to make the change to their cancellation policy. 

Unlike you and me and those who have comment on this site, the vast majority of Marriott's loyal customers do not take the time to get on this site and share their opinions.  So those that do, should be treated with respect and their thoughts and opinions taken into strong consideration for they are making an effort to reach out and share their thoughts.  I might add there have been several good ideas for altering the policy to both address the consolidator issue and the concerns of Marriott's loyal customers.  Unfortunately, it seems no one is listening, except you of course John and you only express concern for defending the policy, which is perfectly fine, but then you must understand that others can offer their comments on your position and should be allowed to do so (with respect) without you implying that they have some issue, that is quite as they say, "thin skinned."

John, there is nothing"nefarious" about a company working to maintain its reputation on social media sites, it is done by many large companies and so for me to make such an association says only that I am aware of what social media means to large companies and the various ways they go about maintaining their reputations.  I would have thought you would have viewed my suspicions of a formal relationship between you and Marriott as a compliment, I have known several people who worked for corporate and had nothing but good things to say about their time at Marriott.

In closing, I am sorry that the respectful advice that I offered to you somehow offended you, but then that really is an issue for you to deal with and not me for I have been nothing but respectful in my comments.  If you find constructive criticism offensive, then my friend, respectfully speaking, you have bigger concerns that you should be focused on rather than Marriott's cancellation policy.

You accused me of dishonesty. Of being an employee of Marriott masquerading as a customer in order to distort the discussion. Nothing respectful or constructive about that.

ron1012 Platinum

John - sorry about that, I meant no disrespect.  Earlier in this thread or perhaps in the other thread you had mentioned booking several properties that responded back with Same Day cancellation policy, can you share them with the group so at least we can, when in those areas, be sure to book our stays at those properties.

Thanks!

Ron

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, Ron, I think you're on the wrong side of this. Accusing @john_thai of being a secret representative of Marriott here shows respect to neither Marriott nor John. The suggestion is, you see, one of dishonesty, that the views John espouses are not necessarily those he genuinely holds but rather those he is paid to espouse AND that Marriott is the one paying. I hope you can see why that would be considered a disrespectful accusation.

As a lawyer paid to argue for a living I can assure you that people hold very differing views about the same subject, not because they are paid to do so, but because that is their genuine belief. Just because Johns view differs from yours (and mine for that matter) doesn't mean he must be being paid to hold them. John believes the 6pm cancellation rule led to empty rooms and hence inflated rates for those that do stay, including him. Certainly where a business operates at below capacity there are less customers to pay the overheads and as a business owner myself who acts almost exclusively for other business owners I can assure all here that business overhead costs are factored into prices by dividing said cost between customer orders. Of course, whether increased capacity utilisation leads to decreased hotel rates (Johns view) or inflated franchisee profits (mine, and I suspect yours too!) is quite another question!

My view is that "day of" cancellation is a standard term of the business hotel proposition. Whilst business conference dates are unlikely to change at the last moment a business visit to a particular location can be subject to many different vagaries and therefore "day of" cancellation is a business requirement. I see the last-minute room cancellation issue for the hotel but believe Marriott here is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and were this policy to apply in the UK I would have to consider moving some stays (those more at risk of last minute adjournments) over to IHG who continue to stand by the "day of" business model.

ron1012 Platinum

Brightlybob - thanks for the great input!  I would not want to come up against you in court! 

Yes, I can see how my earlier comment can be construed as being disrespectful, though no such intent was behind or intended by my comment and it seems to have served to distract from the real issue of the cancellation policy and from those who come here to ruminate, converse and hopefully, help someone at Marriott see our concerns and address them.

Thanks again for the redirect on my commentary.

Cheers,

Ron

Respectfully_ Mr. Thai, you do tend to come off as "attacking" when others have views that differ from yours concerning Marriott policies, etc. Most of those who take the time to comment on these boards, for the most part, are Marriott loyalists. Marriott was/is good because it listens and adapts to consumer needs. I post to you from the deepest respect, but always "yes" men and women are useless and actually cause a whole lot of damage.

jmanrunner Platinum

You won't like what I have to say either.  I don't have an issue with the cancellation policy.  It doesn't affect a single travel plan I ever make and I stayed 250 nights in a hotel last year and am on track for 100 nights this year.  I find it abusive to a hotel when people make a reservation that blocks a room from sale to others and then cancel shortly before arriving.  I do not work for Marriott and Marriott has not always given me what I want in an exchange but their upside has far outweighed their downside. 

For most scenarios that people give as reasons why cancellation same day should be allowed I think they are only thinking of themselves and not that fact that it impacts more people than just the hotel.  It is annoying to try to book a room and be told the hotel is sold out but come back after 6pm and lets see who hasn't checked in or has cancelled.  I have tried to make a reservation weeks in advance in a sold out area and told the same thing.  It's somehow okay if I wait until day of arrival to try to find a room but sacrilegious If you reserve a room and cancel at the last minute and have to pay.

If the hotel guarantees you a room then you should pay for keeping it from me.  Don't book the room until you get into town and know you are going to stay if you don't like the new policy.  Put some risk on your back just like the hotel has done for you.

Most of your post is spot on, but I think most reserve rooms in advance to lock in favorable rates and such. There should be allowances made for those, whom through no fault of their own, must cancel reservations.

ron1012 Platinum

Hey jmanrunner - it is not a question of liking or not liking anyone's comments, it is simply a question of respect.  I think like barrpat, most of us book ahead to get better rates because as the property's load increases, so do their room rates.  This policy change, for me, is more about the incompetence at Marriott and that they seem to change a policy without regard to how it would affect one of their key demographics.  If you have an issue with consolidators then address that issue but don't, as they say, throw out the baby with the bath water.

To be realistic, most Platinum and Platinum Premier members will just now have to call the property the same day to cancel rather than being able to do it online which was much more convenient and Marriott is always trying to make things more convenient for us like with Mobile check-in and check-out, this policy takes them a step backward in that regard.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Great stuff right here. This is what the Insiders forum is all about - the constructive exchange of ideas and perspectives as they relate to all things Marriott Rewards and more. Conversations like this one are what make the forum so valuable! Having said that, and as a pleasant reminder, let's make sure we're maintaining respect for one another and conversing in a way that is fruitful to the forum.

Keep on keepin' on everyone, and thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. 

neorkathy Gold

John_Thai wrote "The primary driver of the change, as I understand it, is that they see people taking advantage of a "loop hole" with consolidators"

Personally, I can't imagine that there are so many people doing this that it necessitated a change.  I never use services like Expedia, Kayak, etc because seldom is the rate any better and, to me, it's not worth the hassle.  Most people don't realize that if they reserve a room using one of these consolidators and they have a problem, they have to deal with the consolidator - not the hotel.  

If the unreserved rooms are released at 3:00pm, they why not just chance the cancellation policy to 3:00 pm the day of the stay?

All I know, is that after being a very loyal Marriott customer for about 6-7 years, I will have to start looking elsewhere due to all the changes that are not favorable to their customers.

There is a whole community on FlyerTalk of people who look for these kinds of loopholes in hotels and flights, pass the information on to each other, and everyone jumps at it. Like the currency exchange error that caused United Airlines to accidentally post a $50 fare for Europe to US, round trip, in First Class. But you had to pay in Danish Kroners. In a matter of hours literally thousands of people had ordered, or tried to order, the tickets.

I imagine there hundreds if not thousands of people who try the stunt with the late cancellation on a regular basis.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

You're definitely not the only one talking about this change, marriottmaniac. There is an ongoing thread with many sharing their opinions here: Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015

It is true that the policy was changed. Here is the "official statement" from the Marriott team:

Marriott is revising the cancellation policy for our hotels in the U.S, Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America.  The intent for the change is to make rooms available that would have otherwise gone unoccupied due to a guest’s last minute cancellation.

The change: While cancellation policies vary by hotel, those hotels whose policy is to allow guests to cancel their room reservations on the day of arrival without incurring a fee are faced with a significant number of unsold rooms due to last-minute cancellations. The new policy for these hotels will require a guest to cancel their room reservation by midnight the day before they arrive in order to avoid a fee. The new policy will allow hotels sufficient time to offer these unsold rooms to guests seeking last-minute accommodations.

The revised policy is scheduled to be implemented by December 1, 2014 for arrivals starting on or after January 1, 2015. 

Because cancellation policies vary by hotel and for certain events and rates, customers should always check the cancellation policy that applies at the time of booking.

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

A 12Noon time policy would have been  compromise that would have worked for many business and leisure travelers. I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THIS HAD BEEN CHANGED.  I would suggest that Marriott consider this revision rather than steer customers toward the competition.

fredrow Platinum

Just as noted that some policies and time lines vary by hotel, as does flexibility.  I have encountered many understanding folks when I have called and explained that I had to cancel very last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Never hurts to call and speak to human and give them a chance to extend great customer service to a loyal customer.

ron1012 Platinum

This policy should be immediately waived for Lifetime Platinum Members and all current Platinum Premier Members and become an incentive for Platinum Members; stay 75+ nights and have the 1 day cancellation policy waived, so the member would be back to 6 pm same day cancellation.  Treat you most loyal members with loyalty and respect.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

The change in cancellation policy is something I can live with. I just hope that some of the day of stay inventory remaining will be offered at advantageous prices to Rewards members rather that just offered to consolidation agencies. If the web site is supposed to be the best place to book, let's see that demonstrated with this opportunity!

metalman Silver 1 Reviews

I just talked with customer service regarding this policy. I would have preferred them moving the deadline up to 2pm day of arrival instead of the one day before arrival. I expect they will loose a majority of my on the road stays. Why should I pay when a client cancels an appointment. Shame on Marriott!  Now to find hotels with a better policy for this weeks road trips.

I bill all my costs to clients. Everything. To me, if the client cancels late and you have to pay for the room, bill the client. It was his fault, not the hotel's. I have for example, several times billed the client for change fees on a flight when they moved schedules around.

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

John,

That is fine for business; however I also travel extensively for personal use.  This policy puts a dent in running into bad weather or unexpected personal issues.  Also, you need to consider that the customers are always looking at the total costs of doing business and if your choice of lodging adds unnecessary fees it could affect his way of viewing overall costs.   Have a great day

Understood. But I was responding specificalliy to the question of being stuck with the cost when a client cancels. Different, of course, than personal needs and vacations.

metalman Silver 1 Reviews

Billing the client for cancelling an appointment? Nice gig if you can get it - I wouldn't have any clients left if I tried that. Not an option.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Most of my Drs. now charge a fee for any appointment not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance!

davefromtn Platinum

For me road trips often means Fairfield or Courtyard and unless they are somewhere like Manhattan, a restrictive cancellation policy is a joke.  The rates these hotels charge are outrageous.  Sure they will give you soda or a few points if your are platinum but what else?  The local Courtyard is about 50 miles from the nearest major city (Nashville), typically charges about $130 per night and is adjacent to a Walmart parking lot.  I'm not above staying at a Motel 6 or a Roof Inn and eating at McDonalds.  I usually get a hassle instead of breakfast at Courtyard anyway.  What exactly is the breakfast policy for platinum elites at Courtyard?  I almost quit staying with Courtyard and now don't see any reason to.  Now Marriott is just like Hyatt.  I will still  stay at the full service properties but not book rooms at Courtyards and Hyatt Place motels.  I have avoided Hyatt Place hotels for years because most don't justify a one day prior cancellation policy.  The same can now be said for Courtyard.

BTW whenever I go to the local Walmart the Courtyard parking lot is almost empty!

garcarcha Platinum

As a weekly business traveler this new policy has me rethinking my choice of hotels. In my mind I'm not canceling the reservation, but rather reassigning it. Although it doesn't happen very often, removing this flexibility adds to the every day stress of business  travel. I have to believe Platinum Elites like myself must be your bread and butter.  Why would you alienate us like this? I can understand this policy applying to the occasional traveler such as those on vacation, but not to Platinum Elites.

This his is a prime example of trying to grow profits at the expense of loyal customers. Not a sustainable business model. The first time I'm charged for a room that I did not stay in will be the last time I'm charged for a room at a Marriott property. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Post Note: I just booked a room in Taos New Mexico and was told there's a THREE day cancellation policy. Or they will charge me one night. This is getting out of hand.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

It takes a lot to run me away from a Marriott property, but the new cancellation policy has effectively done that for @ least my next trip.  I was booking a stay @ The Grand in Point Clear until the cancellation policy for that property popped up….I will not stress myself out with a five day out penalty if my plans have to change.  I understand the "financial/sell every room, business thought process" that must have driven them to this, but it just doesn't work for me.

It certainly doesn't feel like a "Spirit to Serve".

Just thoughts from a loyal Marriott Platinum.

toptraveller1 Platinum

Hilton changed to the same day before arrival cancellation policy on 1st Jan. it's frustrating, but I'll simply need to revise how I book, and ensure my clients are informed in advance that 24 hour notice is required or I'll recharge the expense.

ron1012 Platinum

I am a Lifetime Platinum Member, I have held Platinum Premier status for four straight years and with over 1500 nights in Marriott Hotels, I have been through fires, floods, food poisoning and any number of poor customer service experiences and quite a few last minute cancellations.  This policy is an affront and a slap in the face to Marriott's loyal members.  By all means there should be an exception for members with high achievement status, primarily Platinum and above and especially Lifetime status members.  I am certain this policy does not apply to owners, so take it down another notch or two for those who pay the bills.  Think of it as another incentive to add to the Platinum status, stay 75+ nights and one day cancellation policy is waived and you are back to same day 6 pm cancellation.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Has anyone tried just changing the reservation first. I accidentally booked one with a 24hr policy at 8pm the same day instead of my intended date of next week. I called the hotel and explained i had made it on accident and if it could be changed to the correct date. I asked if i was going to be charged and she said since its technically not a cancellation then no. I later then went ahead and canceled online (because the rate was higher) and just remade a new one. They could have easily said no modifications or cancellations allowed because of policy so i doubt they will enforce it 100% of the time. So, first before saying you need to cancel, tell them that you made a mistake or that something came up but you will be there next week and if they could please move your reservation forward without a charge.

davefromtn Platinum

It just appears Marriott is gambling it can make more money off cancellations fees than business lost from elite members.  Less frequent and savvy travelers have little brand loyalty and will be first to run and tell others of a fee imposed by Marriott.  I just don't see this as good for business either.  Marriott  seems to running down the same track as JCPenney changing its way of doing business for profit regardless of what its customers think.  This type of business decisions doesn't seem too well thought out considering that the CNBC Marriott documentary explained how the much the company was tracking elite members spending.   You have to question a chain that is moving toward making more and more money off reservation fees.  I'm sure to some extent they are mimicking the airlines.  Marriott executives probably haven't been riding on Southwest.  They missing seeing how crowded they are with people from all walks of life.  Airports like Love Field have new life because of Southwest.  Southwest continues to thrive without most ridiculous fees.  Marriott is not Southwest but it is not the Four Seasons either and  I dare say 95%+ of its customers do not stay with Ritz Carlton.  The decision  needs retooling.  Cancellations of elite members could be easily tracked and Marriott Reward points could be penalized for frequent cancellations

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

I have a cancellation story that hopefully someone at Hyatt may eventually read. We were at a basketball tournament near Cincinnati OH, and I made reservations at the Courtyard and the Hyatt Place which were within a couple of miles of each other. Our team was staying at the Hyatt. I noticed the Courtyard was 1 day prior (which btw Marriott needs to clarify. Is it 1 day prior at midnight, OR is it 1 day prior anytime? OR is it 1 day prior to the check-in time). I decided since I am lifetime and I have not stayed at Hyatt for awhile and have 17000 points or so (that don't expire yet) I'd try out the Hyatt Place. So I cancelled my Courtyard reservation online. (IT did tell me I'd possibly be charged because it was 1 day prior) again Marriott you need to clarify what time this actually is.

We were going to check in the Hyatt prior to the game but because of weather and traffic had to simply go to the game. Our team lost, so I called the Hyatt and asked them if they would be willing to waive the cancellation time because I knew they were sold out and that they'd be able to resell the room. I was not mean, or demanding, I simply asked the question. I must have been on the phone with a new person because she told me she'd ask and put me on the phone with a young man who was the manager. He came on without even hearing why I wanted to cancel and told me that no they could not cancel it and I would be charged the full rate. At this point I got annoyed and said I know you're sold out, and you would simply resell this room, and he said no again and there was nothing he could do. I told him that I knew if he wanted to he could cancel the room without penalty but was choosing not to and hung up. I was frustrated because If this had been a Marriott property and I called they would have easily cancelled my reservation no questions asked. Next I called corporate Hyatt and got a very nice woman on the phone and I explained again why and if there was by chance anything she could do. She tried and got a no again from the same manager. I explained to her I was Platinum with Marriott and that I was simply trying Hyatt for a change to see if I liked it.

Because it was going to cost me $115 cancellation and we'd still need a hotel to where were trying to be that night we went and checked into the hotel. The next piece of this was even more frustrating. I walked into the hotel ready to have a calm conversation about it. The manager was on the phone giving phone numbers of NEARBY HOTELS to whoever was on the phone because they were SOLD OUT. They could have easily cancelled my stay and sold it for much more than I was paying. When the desk manager realized who I was he would NOT make eye contact with me. I then proceeded to tell the young woman that we would be checking on the next day, NOT on Sunday....I was then informed that I would be charged for BOTH DAYS because it was past the 24 hour cancellation policy for the next night as well. All the time the manager refusing to be in the conversation. I was livid. Finally the general manager came out and I explained what I was trying to do, and that what I really wanted was to not check in at all. He told me eventually that he would not charge us for the second night, but would have to charge us for the first night if we didn't check in. I explained to him I was trying Hyatt for the first time in years because of my status with Marriott and that after this experience I would not stay at another Hyatt again.  We ended up checking in and staying that night. What those folks at Hyatt don't realize is that I went upstairs to my room (which was very nice btw) and called Hyatt and cancelled $5000 worth of hotel rooms I had reserved at the Hyatt Place in Indianapolis.  I want to shake people sometimes because while I completely understand their policies (I work in customer service and teach it) that hanging onto the $115 will in the end cost you much, much more. I will retell this story to many folks, and they will never know the impact their unwillingness to make this small adjustment will truly cost them. If the hotel had not been sold out I would understand this....

I also think Marriott is making a HUGE mistake in not allowing the 6 PM day of arrival cancellations, or charge me a tad more room rate wise for the the ability to have a same day cancellation. I believe this will cost them more in the end because it was so helpful to cancel a room if I was delayed or had an emergency, or we lose a game and need to rearrange our plans. It will make me think twice about booking a room with Marriott (other than possibly playing the Platinum card still gets me a cancellation) in the future. I always try to cancel as far ahead as possible if I don't think I am going to use the room, but for those last minute changes it was appreciated.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

All my Marriott reservations have a specific time and date in which to cancel without penalty, I have nothing vague in any of the reservations over the next 6 months.

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

Guidedog it gives you a time? My next reservation which is at a Vacation Club Property simply says 3 days prior with no time. My next one says 1 day before again with no specific time. Maybe I'm missing something??

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

My next stay is in a couple of weeks and this is on the reservation....

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until 6:00 PM hotel time on March 27, 2015.

davefromtn Platinum

I hate making reservations on my laptop in hotel parking lots.  When driving my late model Toyota I have done this on several occasions when staying with Hyatt and Starwood.  Now regardless of whether I'm driving or flying I have deal with Marriott's new cancellation policy. I was willing to pay $20-$25 more to stay with Marriott and not to have to deal with the one day prior hassles.  Hyatt has and will continue to lose business from me because of this.  Now Marriott?

The way I going to deal with it is with Holiday Inn.  I'm sure Marriott is well aware that Holiday Inn in many instances offers the same 6pm cancellation that it did prior to 2015.

I stayed with Holiday Inn twice in the final quarter of 2014 and was given upgraded king rooms on  both occasions.  All I flashed was an outdated blue priority club card which I hadn't used in five or six years.  The first stay I actually moved from the Marriott LAX to the Holiday LAX on a Monday afternoon after a four night stay.  The Holiday Inn was $110 cheaper for the Monday night. and we used the difference toward a late lunch in Beverly Hills.  The Holiday Inn was super quiet and I had my best nights sleep on a two week Socal trip.  I then gambled on a Crowne Plaza In Downtown Dallas whose rate was about 1/3 of several nearby Marriott properties and was again quite pleased.   Although neithers lobby was as fancy as a typical Marriott they  both had lines at check in and check out. 

Every angry Marriott customer should just book the first night of a upcoming trip with a competitor which offers a more lenient  cancellation policy and HASSLE Marriott with the details when you check in.  Many may find the grass is still green other places.

Here's an idea!  If Marriott is really implementing the new policy to deal with consolidators, why not just change the policy to require cancellation on day of arrival at noon.  Most same day cancellations are known to the traveler by then and people could not game the system with consolidators.  Marriott solves most of the abuse problem and most people with real problems would not be charged.

roadscholar Gold

Perhaps Marriott could extend some leeway for it's reward members.  If you are Silver you get 2 passes to cancel without penalty. Gold you get 4 passes and Platinum you get 6. Keep the current policy for those less than Silver.  Every year they are renewed. Simple? Fair? And I am sure many would see this as a little loyalty back to it's members.

lovesnow Platinum

Here's my vote for THIS POLICY SUCKS.

I am PP and have been for 6 years. I stay at a different Marriott property in a different city every night for 180 nights a year. I have reservations booked 4-6 weeks in advance. Sometimes (once a month or so) my work keeps me in the same city and I find out about it THAT DAY. So I need to cancel that night's reservation. So I have to call the Platinum line and hassle with customer service as they call the hotel directly. Or even worse, I have tried to cancel a reservation that is more than 24 hours from when I would arrive, yet within a calendar day, and the app tries to tell me there is a cancellation fee. For example, trying to cancel tomorrow's reservation when it is 9AM today.

I am furious with this stupid change. It's even a worse decision and less business traveler friendly than the decision to take all the regular coffee away at Courtyards.Whoever made both of those decisions would be fired in my company.

davefromtn Platinum

Marriott  just doesn't seem to get that I was  not  a rate comparer prior to the switch.  But now if I can stay at a Holiday Inn and get 6pm day of arrival.... a Courtyard just seems like a nuisance were I have to beg for coffee, breakfast and late checkout.  What they pedal in the Courtyard lobby has never appealed to me at all. 

kinseattle Platinum 6 Reviews

I am another frequent business traveler and Platinum concerned about the change.  My plans change frequently, most often with a few days notice, but sometimes on very short notice.  I always cancel my reservations the minute I know it isn't needed.  It is rare I need to cancel a reservation the day of travel, but it occasionally happens.  If I have to, I will look for another hotel group that will accommodate my business needs.  It seems to me Marriott could, and should, waive cancellation fees for elite members. 

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Is anyone having a problem seeing entries on MI?  I am getting boxes & not words. 

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey rinny54, I would be happy to have our team look into this. Just shoot me a direct message with your Rewards number.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks, CariJ.  I guess the team is looking into this spam already.

GoldenBoy Platinum

I virtually always cancel within the time stipulated, whether it's day of, or 1, 3, 7 days in advance whatever.  if I don't know if I'll need a reservation until last minute, same day, I make the reservation the day I arrive. Simple.

neorkathy Gold

Glad that works for you, GoldenBoy, but it isn't a realistic way to ensure getting a room at a preferred property.

neorkathy Gold

I've not only noticed the change in the cancellation policy but it also seems that the number of points needed for a free night has gone up quite a bit. I usually stay at either Fairfield Inn or Courtyard.  I was always able to get a night at a Fairfield Inn for about 10,000-15,000 points.  Now, it seems most places are 20,000.

It seems like rates in general have also gone up.  My husband and I travel to the Seattle area several times a year to visit our children and grandchildren. Weekend rates were usually around $100-$150.  I just looked into making a reservations for the the weekend of June 19th and I can't find any Marriott property near Seattle for less than $200 a night.  I realize it is summer but still, that's crazy.

At this rate, I may have to start staying elsewhere.

GoldenBoy Platinum

This may be largely a consequence of them re calibrating Category numbers each year. The FI you've been using may have been Cat 2 in the past, and now moved up to Cat 3 or 4. Marriott has even invented the relatively new Cat 9.

I noticed one of the properties in WASHINGTON DC, I'd previously been able to use a Cat 1-5 cert is now a Cat 7, so I can't stay there on a cert anymore!

Remember that the price of most rooms has gone up during the past ten years.  This is true when we pay in dollars, so why wouldn't it be true when we pay in points?

702rugbyref Platinum

I recently ran into a cancellation issue even though I was almost 34 hours prior to cancellation timeline. I was told by the customer service the time that hotel base their cancellation on is GMT. In my case, I still had 10+ hours prior to the local cancellation time and they took care of it.

That doesn't make any sense, Why would they use GMT? Got to be local time. At least they took care of it for you.

702rugbyref Platinum

That is exactly what I said and they responded because it is their system with hotels all over the planet. They are aware which is good and fixed it via phone but I could not online.

GoldenBoy Platinum

It would be absurd to base it on GMT/Zulu time, as then it would force everyone to do time conversions. I'm doubtful that's true.

702rugbyref Platinum

Just reporting what happened to me two weeks ago.Seems ridiculous to me as well but that was my experience.

GoldenBoy Platinum

Supposedly if you have to cancel "1day in advance", it allows for you to cancel up to 1159pm hotel local time the night before, but I've never waited that long to cancel!

lifeontheroad Platinum

sounds like a  local issue.

lifeontheroad Platinum

I don't have a problem with the policy change and have been on the wrong side of blocked out rooms waiting for someone to decide if they might want to get on a plane or not - come on really? The airlines charge at least $200 for every minute change.

may I suggest that you call the hotel and change your arrival date? This is not a big production, I have never heard of any of the hotels making a fuss and then you can make whatever adjustment is needed in the timeframe. just may buy you some extra time to decide where in the world you may be.

GoldenBoy Platinum

a few weeks ago I needed to stay by Dulles Airport. Up until the day before I was to arrive, the Washington Dulles Suites in Herndon was about $239/night, but on the day of arrival dropped to $79/night. Another example of why they require cancellation at least a day in advance without penalty, because the consolidator rates kick in on arrival date!