11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2015 12:04 PM by ndn RSS

Cash Upgrade on Award Night Questions

ndn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If I have an award night, booked on points, but with a cash upgrade, how do things get counted?

(1) Do I get 10 base points (plus bonus for elite) for each dollar spend on the upgrade? Or do I get nothing?

(2) Do the nights count at all towards elite qualification? After all, I am paying a cash upgrade fee, but on a points booking...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cash Upgrade on Award Night Questions
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Hi ndn.  I've done this.  What you get is points plus elite bonus on everything you spend.  So that is points for the upgrade cost and any extras charged to the room.  You do not get any elite nights, as they have been covered by the points redemption.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

How about for a Ritz property,? I don't think they give points on spend

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

A Ritz property should also give you points on the spend, unless the property explicitly says that it doesn't participate in the Marriott Rewards Program.

ndn Platinum

According to the marriott web site, Ritz only gives points on room rate

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

I think that you're right about general spending (for example on food), but I think that the upgrade of the room counts as part of the room rate.

ndn Platinum

Spending $300 in upgrades per night should count as elite qualifying nights IMO!

But where is the line drawn?  I spent £99 ($150) per night on an upgrade from a standard room to a studio suite.  I got plenty of points on the upgrade cost.  We all have to accept the T&C's in such instances.

ndn Platinum

The line is drawn when "in-room enhanced internet is included in your resort fee." Basically, as Elites, we get this already; so they are charging us for it on a room that is paid for by points and then also charging for the upgrade fee... I think thats enough charging.

That isn't the same thing at all.  I have to say that if you are so disgruntled with Marriott Rewards T&C's, take it out on them, not me. What on earth have I done to deserve your vitriole towards me?

ndn Platinum

Im not actually mad at you or Ritz or Marriott. It just really bothers me when things that are free are charged at the same time. Nobody can seem to define what enhanced internet really means, too. I like things to be technically correct, the best kind of correct.

I don't know about Ritz.  I only know that I have done what I outlined at a FS Marriott and detailed what I got.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...