32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2015 7:08 PM by razorbackfan RSS

NYC:  Marquis or Algonquin?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone,

I have a 3 night stay coming up in New York in March.  It's during the week, and I need a place at or near Times Square.  It's for business, so I'm not really looking for the tourist/party crowd.  Last time I stayed at the Marriott Marquis, and it was fine but I didn't really care for the "vibe".  I did appreciate the concierge lounge, though.  And the rooms were huge.  But I might like to try something with a little more character this time.

I can get a very reasonable room rate at the Algonquin.  Is that worth a try?  It doesn't have a concierge lounge, does it?

Any other suggestions?  The Lexington also has very reasonable rates, but I haven't heard very good things about that place.

Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
New York City, New York, USA
New York
  • Re: NYC:  Marquis or Algonquin?
    ndn Platinum

I have a personal stay at the Marquis in April. What about the vibe did you not like? Have you considered the JW Essex?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I would love to try the Essex House, but it's about $445 a night, and I can get into the Marquis for $218.  My firm is paying, but I try to keep expenses as reasonable as possible,  Actually a NY native who works in the city told me of all the NY hotels, he likes the Essex House the best so it must be pretty good.  Plus, that's where those angels kept Rory in Doctor Who, or at least that's what the spouse says   I didn't like the layout of the Marquis.  It has weird space-age elevators that look like something from the 1960s Star Trek era.  And the rooms, although large, have no character and are not decorated very nicely.  They are decorated similarly to the Hyatt Regency in Chicago which is also not a favorite.  The place is huge, and there are hoards of tourists.  There is a large open atrium (like the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco) which isn't my favorite layout as it's loud and kind of 70s era type design.  The rooms all have doors opening out into these hallways lining this big open atrium.  The CL is good, though, although very busy. It, too, looks straight out of the 70s and I felt like I was in a 70's era Woody Allen movie.  When I was there last March, they were remodeling the front façade and it was pretty ugly looking inside and out.  I really can't complain about anything except aesthetics and the tourist crowd, and of course you should expect throngs of tourists in Times Square.  Views from the fitness center and CL are great so that is a plus.  Marquis is probably great for a tourist or family trip but not ideal for business. 

Jsucool76 Gold

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a 5 night award stay at the essex house in late march. Any recent experiences? Anything I should know?

Also, to someone relate to the thread - The marquis is apparently a tourist haven from everything I've read. Packed elevators, packed CL,, crowds similar to disney world. haha.

Algonquin is apparently less crowded, but has tiny tiny rooms, and no CL. 

I was afraid of that with Algonquin not having a CL and having tiny rooms.  I might stick it out at the Marquis again this time!  With prices what they are in NY, having the CL is a real benefit.

ndn Platinum

May I suggest the Renaissance Times Square then? It is a smaller property and less crowded. It has a bit more culture, but still business focused. There is a CL.

Good idea.  I will check that out.  How can you tell if a place has a CL?  Sometimes it shows up on the "hotel info" page, and sometimes you can tell because there are options to book a club level room, and sometimes you can't tell at all!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I second the suggestion to stay at the Renaissance Times Square. I stay in NYC frequently and that is my favorite hotel if I can get the rate I need. Marquis would be my second choice but I like both hotels. You should know there is no CL at the Renaissance. Instead they turn one of the restuarants into a CL for the morning breakfast for Gold and Platininum members and they will give you certificates that can be used at night at the bar for their bar food items which are very good.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Stayed with points at the JW last September and had a great time. Hotel is timeless and the CL is always fully stocked with goodies and the breakfast is fabulous.  Note that the lounge is open for breakfasts on the weekend. Enjoy your stay at this hotel.

I just looked at rates for the Essex House, and I can actually get a pretty reasonable rate now, so I'm going to stay over there instead of the Marquis.  It will be nice to be away from Times Square even though I'll have to walk over there for my meetings.  I'm a big fan of the JW Marriotts so hopefully this will be a good stay even though it's a bit more expensive.  Plus I will get a JW badge - haha!

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll be there in march as well. I'm hoping to get upgraded to a JW terrace sweet. #IfOnly

#InsidersParty

lololol

joshm Member

A great thread to have started here, clebert.

I don't doubt that, as other members of the community see this thread and chime in, you'll see a slew of insights and recommendations come in!

I'm also interested, as ndn inquired, as to the 'vibe' of the Marquis. Was it too busy? Loud? We'd love to know your perspective.

Thanks!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

As a Brit I've only been to NYC once, but next year as part of a Roadtrip from Canada I'm bringing the teenagers and although it is tourist central, the Marquis seemed to me the only place to stay with the kids, they'll love being right in the thick of the action. In fact since talking about this with them they've spotted the hotel in a few films and have gleefully told their friends, "I'm staying there". As a result, whilst I'm interested in this thread, I think I'm committed!

My fantasy is to take the kids to London and stay at the Marriott Grand Residences at Mayfair or Grosvenor House!  Or the Ritz!  Want to trade lives for awhile?  Haha!

What a great idea, that way I could avoid the expensive school-holiday flights! Just an instant life-swap!

I can't say I've ever thought of staying at the Marriott Grand Residence, I enjoy the entire hotel experience, the lobby, bar, restaurant too much to hole up in an apartment every night. As for the Ritz, well yes, it's spectacular, but my strong preference for London splurging is the quintessentially English Claridges. A real Art Deco gem! I do enjoy the JW Grosvenor House, and manage a stay there most years as its rates can at times turn out cheaper than the other Marriotts...

Thanks for the tips!  When traveling with the kids, we prefer the residence-type hotels so we can do some laundry and eat in occasionally.  But when it's just the spouse and me, we're pretty good at the whole hotel experience.  We decided not to redeem points at the Ritz Naples and instead stayed 2 nights paying the best rate I could find - it ended up being a business trip and we got our hotel costs reimbursed.  But somehow we still managed to spend about $700 at the resort on meals, drinks, items from the men's clothing store, etc.!  But it was a fun time.  Last time we were there, the weather was cold and windy.  This time it was perfect so that really helped.  Plus, having someone else pay for your hotel room does make you enjoy things a little more

I think the Marquis would be very good for kids, esp. with the larger rooms, CL, and location.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

The marquis defiantly the best choice for room size lounge perks etc Lexington is ok also the calton hotel is nice as well no lounges though and 4 bucks a coffee

peare Gold 1 Reviews

I love the Marquis!  It is my favorite - but I will have to try a few of these other suggestions next time!

Essex House Report:  Ok, I really made the right choice.  Better for me than the Marquis.  It's actually quiet and peaceful.  The executive lounge is fabulous.  The walk to Times Square was easy.  I would stay again.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm happy to hear that since my stay there is coming up soon.

I'm still a bit upset the GM wouldn't upgrade me to anything but a jr suite for free (we need 2 beds and absolutely despise sofa beds) but I'll ask again and check in and maybe I'll get lucky.

II'm booked into the Marquis for 3 nights Friday-Monday. I'm aware the liunge will be closed and I'll not get breakfast on Saturday and. Sunday. However I have 6 kids, can you prebuy breakfast at a cheaper rate on arrival? Does anyone know a decent place for a relatively inexpensive breakfast for 2 adults and 4 ravenous teens? Wil we all be able to get into the Exec lounge on the Monday morning for breakfast, or is that subject to the elite+1 rule?

Jsucool76 Gold

Everything I've heard is the exec lounge in the marquis is elite +1.

So you'd have to go in with the wifey, then leave, then take 1 kid in, then leave, then another kid, then leave, then another kid then leave and then the last kid. lol

I was at the Marquis last year about this time, and there was a hotel employee at a podium right outside the CL.  I don't recall having to sign in or give him my name, but they do give you a special gold key card to access the CL.  The hotel attendant is right there watching you use your card to get in.  I don't remember if it was an elite +1 policy at the Marquis, but that was definitely the case at the Essex House when I was there this week.  And Essex House also had a hotel attendant outside the lounge, and you also needed a special gold key card for that hotel.  Must be standard fare in NYC!

Jsucool76 Gold

I didnt know about the essex house doing elite +1.

We're going to be a party of 3 when we on march 23. I dont have patience to make two trips.

I saw people in the Essex House lounge with multiple small kids, so I'm not sure how they got in there.  Maybe there was one adult with one kid and they came in in 2s.  Or maybe the door attendant wasn't too picky about letting people get in.  I was by myself, so I didn't have to worry about getting my kids in.  They have excellent offerings at breakfast and in the evening, so it's worth a little maneuvering if you need to work around the elite +1.  The lounge is right off the lobby area on the main floor, so I think the guard is mainly to prevent people passing through and not even staying at the hotel from wandering in there.  People pass through the hotel lobby as a short cut from 58th St. to Central Park, and there is a sign saying to present your room key before passing into the hotel lobby from 58th St., but nobody seemed to be enforcing that rule.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Sometimes people just get a room package that includes breakfast and lounge access. There was a family with children during our stay and there were two adults and two very small children. They let the whole group in but someone who was a Plat rewards member....and let everyone around know, made a comment and called over the person overseeing entry. As he was trying to complain about the excess people in the group the staff member quietly told him that they were entitled to be there....apparently it is a package that allows guests lounge access.

PS - For an inexpensive breakfast, McDonald's is the way to go.  Love it or hate it, the prices are hard to beat, especially in NY!

Jsucool76 Gold

mcdonald's still makes the best hash browns

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

brightlybob, jerrycoin had recommended a place for breakfast (and other meals if you were in the area) near the Courtyard where we stayed (also on jerrycoin's recommendation) 2 years ago.  I will try to find out the name and address for you.  It would be perfect for hungry teen-agers.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We stayed at the Courtyard South Times Square.  There is no longer a CY by that name, but I think it is the one at 114 W. 40th Street.  The restaurant was named Duke's and I can't find it either so I don't know if it is still there or not.  Maybe jerrycoin will see this post and update my information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...