6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2015 10:49 AM by pluto77 RSS

Travel Package Questions

bjones8162 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking for a quick boost to get my Southwest Account up to Companion Pass status for a bunch of upcoming travel where tickets are kind of pricey.  The Marriott Travel Packages seem like a great deal, unfortunately I do not have an immediate need for a 7 night stay anywhere.  So can someone tell me how exactly these packages work?  Do I have to book my 7 night stay when I "purchase" the package with my Marriott points, or is it a certificate that I then use later.  If it is a certificate to use later, how hard are they to redeem:

• are there limited redemption nights available at hotels?
  • can the cert. be extended for a fee beyond an expiration (presuming one year)?
  • can the certificate be upgraded with additional points later to a higher hotel Tier than what I originally purchased?

I know a lot of people just open a new SW Credit Card to get the point boost needed for CP, but I am not interested in another CC and I have a decent amount of Marriott points at my disposal.

Thanks - since I have discovered this site everyone is so helpful & not your typical snarky internet message board!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel Package Questions
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

bj.....in the blog section, there is a thorough explanation to your questions. The blog is 3 or 4 parts written by a fellow traveler tker. You can search in the blogs and I'll also try and find a link for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hey bjones,

Here's a couple of quick answers for you:

1. You don't have to book your stay when you order the travel package.  A hotel stay cert is issued, which can be redeemed later.  Meanwhile, the points for the airline portion of the package will immediately (within 1-2 business days) transfer to your designated airline mileage account.
    2. They are easy to redeem.  Having said that, there are certain hotels that are extremely popular, ie. Grand Flora Rome and Marriott Champs Elysees in Paris.  For those types of properties, it is important to book far in advance, especially if it's during the peak travel season (think 1 year in advance).  Hotels only set aside a limited quantity of rooms for point reservations.  I have always booked 9-12 months in advance for these types of properties and have encountered no problems.
    3. If you have to cancel prior to the hotel cancellation policy, the points or certs will be re-deposited back into your MR account (don't know about canceling after, never having done that).
    4. The certs can be extended by at least 1 year, fee free.
    5. The certs can be upgraded to a higher category level if necessary, using the extra points required.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great answers, pluto77, thank you for providing these! My only clarification point is that the airline could receive mileage within a few business days, but at times it could take up to six weeks. You can check out this link to learn about the delivery guidelines for the airline you're looking at.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yup, that's the fine print, but yikes!  I wonder if anyone has actually ever had to wait 6 weeks (or even more than a few days!) 

Thinking about it, I have never considered making use of any other travel packages that are offered out there (ie. travel packages through airlines, 3rd party, c/c etc.), only Marriott.  Marriott's travel packages are pretty stellar.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Thats very kind of you. I cannot believe how long ago I wrote that! All information is still valid. I just returned from Thailand. All on TP's. Let me know any questions you have.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...