13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2015 6:00 PM by pingreeman RSS

Poor customer service

bob_intn Silver
Currently Being Moderated

After many years as a Marriott Rewards customer, I noticed an ad in a Courtyard for the upgraded Visa Signature card. The ad stated that the first year carried no annual fee. I called Customer Service and specifically asked if I could transfer my account to the upgraded card with no fee for the first year. The answer was a definite yes. I received my new card and started using it. Yesterday I received a letter stating that I would be charged a fee of $85 for the first year. I called Customer Service and spoke to  a representative and a supervisor. Both said I would be charged the fee. They were polite, but would not honor the advertisement or what their representative had said to me. The annual fee is not a particularly big deal. However, the failure to honor both the ad and their own statement is very disappointing. A very poor way to operate a business.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Poor customer service
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Not only is it poor customer service, bob_intn, it's stupid due to the ill-will it causes.  As you say, it's not the $85, its the principle of the thing.  IMO, don't stop with the two folks you talked to and take it further.  Maybe one of the Marriott Associates on this board can help out as it certainly reflects badly on the Marriott brand.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry that this happened , @bob_intn. That is really frustrating! If you'd like, you can send me your contact info and card number via private message, and we can have someone contact you directly to help with this.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Thats odd, usually chase is very good at honoring stuff. The only reason I would think they would charge is if the offer is only for new customers that apply and not upgraded ones. I don't think Marriott can do anything on their side since its chase's credit card.  Try sending a secure message explaining the situation from your chase account. Good luck.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

When I upgraded my card, I was not charged any fee for the first year.  That was quite a few years ago, but I've never found Chase to be unreasonable to deal with.  Did you call Chase and ask to speak to a supervisor?  That's what I would have done!  Good luck!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

My son had an similar experience with Chase. His offer provided 50k points after 1st purchase. I had him print it out. His card arrived with different terms-50k points after $3k in purchases in 3 months. Called to dispute the change-they wouldn't budge-even with docs. Ultimately, he hit the $3k in spend-but still irritating.

kaito Gold

I had a confirmed reservation on 2/14/15. I called hotel to let them know we would be arriving late and hotel called me at 8:30pm to confirm we were still coming which I said YES. Landed in Fort Myers 11:45 pm to a voicemail saying they don't have a room for us and moved us to another hotel 40min south of us! I was furious and called and spoke with hotel manager which did absolutely no good. I am shocked that after 2 confirmation calls about our reservation that they gave up our room and made us drive 40 min south! Which added 40 more min the next day for our drive up to Tampa! Our room was confirmed twice on the same day and was still GONE when we got there!

Was your room guaranteed with a CC and reserved with your MR gold number? If so, you were supposed to get a slew of compensation through Marriott's Ultimate guarantee. You were "walked". They were supposed to pay for your room and provide other things. Did that happen????? I believe $100.00 cash as well. You are not Plat so no points. See link.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

kaito Gold

Yes it was guaranteed with CC and gold number.....the room was reserved using points, they gave us points back and moved us to Naples and paid for that room instead.

Gotcha. I think you were also due the $100.00 according to my reading of the guarantee-plus all I have learned on Flyertalk.

kaito Gold

Yes you are right we were due the $100 also but never got it. I honestly just wanted the room I had reserved after sitting in airports all day. Thank you for your help

I certainly understand that. If you wanted to pursue that, you could simply email Marriott Cust service with details-short and sweet. I bet you get it.

kaito Gold

The above post was for the Marriott Courtyard in Fort Myers Florida

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

To avoid this scenario, it is best to open a new Premier card account than attempting to "upgrade" the card. Many years ago, I almost got trapped in this same scenario because the T&Cs had some type of clause that made current "standard" cardholders ineligible for the first year free, 50K bonus, and anniversary night at 6 months if swapping to the premium card. Here is the most recent T&Cs that are relevant:

This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either 1) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or 2) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...