60 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2016 12:34 PM by 10yearsplatinum RSS

Now That We Know "What Happened to the Hotel Reviews", Is Their Removal From MR Insiders a Good Thing?

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently asked "What Happened to the Hotel Reviews?" and received a factual answer.  Yet the discussion that developed once the facts of the matter were explained has led to a worthy, new discussion:  Is it a good thing that the Hotel Reviews have been removed from Insiders and changed by Marriott in the way that it has been changed?

The NathalieF posted a notice regarding the change, part of which reads as follows:

"When you receive a Guest Satisfaction Survey after you have completed a stay you will now have the opportunity to include a full review. Some of you may have seen these surveys already.  The review will then be posted word for word on Marriott.com and will also be routed to the hotel’s General Manager.  As most of you probably know, you won’t get a Guest Satisfaction Survey after every stay (we don’t want to bombard you with surveys!).

Once you submit the review and it goes through moderation it will be posted on the hotel’s individual website on Marriott.com within 72 hours."

Questions that have already been raised include the issue whether it is possible to submit a review without having received a Guest Satisfaction Survey, which will not occur "after every stay".  If hotel reviews cannot be submitted at the initiative of the reviewer -- who has had the hotel experience -- but only at the initiative of the hotel or of Marriott -- there seem to me to be two substantive defects.  1)  There is the possibility (or, at least the appearance of the possibility) of manipulating who is asked to submit a review, or who is prevented from submitting a review; 2) Marriott removes the ability for someone to spontaneously submit a very authentic review when that person has experienced exceptional service or had an exceptional hotel experience -- or has suffered from terrible service or has had a very negative experience.  In addition, it is not clear what will be the outcome from the moderation of bad reviews (that are authentic).  It may be that the intention is to publish all authentic reviews, good or bad, but, at least to some who responded to the original thread, the overall change does not seem to have left a positive impression or to embody the advantages of the hotel review framework that has been so successful in MR Insiders.

I think that this issue is worthy of discussion and I hope that Marriott will listen to the responses, whatever they may be -- and, if the responses merit a reconsideration of the change, that Hotel Reviews in their old format be returned to the Insider,revie even if a separate system is used in the marriott.com website.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Now That We Know "What Happened to the Hotel Reviews", Is Their Removal From MR Insiders a Good Thing?
    lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Personally, I do not like the move of hotel reviews from Insiders to Marriott.com.  From my personal experience, I think I receive guest satisfaction surveys about 25% of the time.  Because I value the reviews of others, I try to write a review 100% of the time.  One of the main tools that I use to research which Marriott property to stay at is reviews - both on Insiders and on Trip Advisor.  If reviews on Marriott.com are limited to those that respond to a guest satisfaction survey and include a review, the quantity of reviews will likely be much less.

One of the advantages of the reviews on Insiders is that many are submitted by travelers who 1) have a lot of travel experience and 2) stay at Marriott properties on a regular basis so can offer comparisons between various Marriott properties.  I find this most valuable.  I place more weight on those that review regularily.  I regularily note that someone that gives a property one star seems to be picking up on a single point of their stay rather than the overall experience.  I dismiss those reviews.

Finally, I appreciate those to take the time to post a detailed review!  I hope that those detailed reviews will continue to be posted whether here or elsewhere!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Now That We Know "What Happened to the Hotel Reviews", Is Their Removal From MR Insiders a Good Thing?
      foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Both walksoftly and lakersfan make excellent points. I'm disappointed, too, that reviews are no longer accessible from MRI. Also, I'm really disappointed that the MRI reviews have been purged from the system entirely. I just looked at several of the hotel web pages for which I'd posted reviews and found most of the "verified reviews" to be one- or two-liners, sorely lacking any substantive information.

Part of the rationale for removing the reviews, I believe, may have been the numerous complaints on this forum about reviews clogging the "big board" (or so that was somewhat intimated). Our rouser-in-chief erc -- regarding certs, BOGOs, gift cheques, etc.--  often counseled, "Be careful what you wish for--you may get it." It seems we definitely got it. [sigh]

I agree with the points made by lakersfan and foxglove.  In my opinion, all of these points and my initial list show the weaknesses of the new format and the disadvantage of removing the hotel reviews from MR Insiders.

In addition, another drawback in the new format which did not occur when the reviews were in MR Insiders is that it is no longer possible to choose a city and compare the reviews of the various hotels in that city.  For example, I am currently planning a trip to Madrid.  In the old format, I could check the comparative level of all of the hotels in Madrid and begin my search based on the comparison.  Now it is necessary to enter the website of each hotel separately to see the reviews for that hotel.

seattlebb Platinum

I dislike the change.  I have stayed at seven Marriott properties so far this year and have not received a single Guest Satisfaction Survey.  There is no longer an opportunity to post a review, unless Mariott elects to send me a survey. 

I considered the hotel reviews on MRI a useful tool that I used when planning a trip, as walksoftly stated above.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree that reviews should not be linked to guest satisfaction surveys. I can't recall the last time I received a survey from a Marriott property (except MVC). I have also found that the properties with the poorest service and facilities are the least likely to ever send a survey. With this change, I now have to rely on Trip Advisor.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have always thought that the majority of Insiders gave honest reviews.  I liked their input.  I always looked on the Insiders site for reviews from named Insiders (as opposed to guests).  Now it is ridiculous.  Take my favourite hotel, Marriott West India Quay.  I have stayed there several times in the last 2 years.  The same for Marriott York, many, many times in the last 5 years.  I have NEVER been invited to do a review.  Marriott West India Quay website shows 42 reviews, only as far back as July 2014.  Marriott York website shows 36 reviews, again only as far back as July 2014.  These are both high occupancy hotels.  Even if only 10% of guests who are targeted complete a review, this is an extremely small number.  West India Quay has 301 rooms and suites; York has 151.  So in the last 7 months WIQ has only had 6 reviews per month for 301 rooms, and York 5 reviews per month for 151 rooms.  I only believe that is true if an extremely small number of guests are targeted to complete a review.

If you look at Tripadvisor, WIQ has 200 reviews and York 150 for the same period.  That is roughly 5 times as many reviews, and TA is spontaneous, whereas Marriott is invited.  Surely someone who is invited is more likely to complete a survey?  To me this shows the Marriott review system is now a farce.

On another thread I have asked NathalieF to let us know how many guests receive an invitation to review.  We have not received a reply.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

I loved having the reviews on MRI because I was able to see the thoughts of the insiders.  Additionally the reviews gave me ideas of where I might not have ever thought of staying.

Added comment:

I did an email search of the emails that I received from my Marriott stays that were in the last year and I did not see where I was sent a survey.  However, there was a link in my ebill so that I could do a review, except on my last stay.  I could always go back into my profile and do the review from there, but it would always bring me to the MRI reviews page.  As of today, the review feature has been removed from the account section. I guess I will just post my review to tripadvisor.  See below:

I want to

Download bill

Rebook hotel

Hotel saved

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Yeah, I think the MRI reviews had a very community feeling that the new setup will lack. You almost felt obligated to give back to the community. I can tell you right now that being offered a survey will not have the same result. Just knowing myself and what I presume is most people's nature people will just ignore them unless they have something really negative to say (or they are offered some sort of reward for completing them.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It's almost as if Marriott wanted to rule the reviews with an iron fist ensuring the property was given a favorable review by controlling what reviews are allowed to be viewed for each location.  If the review was less than good it might not show up and if the review was outstanding it may go to the top of the heap......just a thought!!

Which then makes me curious of each property keeps a rating of guests, you complain and you get demerits and with so many demerits, you are not sent a review?

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Yeah IAHFLYR I see where you are coming from.  But know what?  At West India Quay we have never, ever complained.  Just the opposite.  We have always been full of praise, especially with the upgrades they have given us.  But we have never been targeted for a review.  If I was in charge I would definitely send me a review request.  I don't get this policy at all.

I have just looked on a random Hilton Hotel in London.  I can leave a review as long as I give them my name and email details.  That sounds good to me, cos they can at least check the review isn't bogus.  Why can't Marriott do the same NathalieF ?

NathalieF As you can see, the change in policy regarding the hotel reviews has generated a lot of serious discussion -- including more than a few well argued criticisms.

We look forward to your response -- and to your ability to bring about a reconsideration of the change.

There seems to be strong sentiment 1) to bring back the hotel reviews to MR Insiders, as well as 2) to make improvements in the hotel review format on marriott.com -- especially allowing unsolicited (spontaneous) reviews (from individuals who are logged in to the marriott.com website) and not just reviews from those who have been selected to receive a Guest Satisfaction Survey.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi Insiders - I'm sorry some of you are feeling this way, and I know many will miss the Insiders hotel reviews section. I knew this would be a common sentiment, that's why I shared the change with you with as much transparency as possible back in September. There are a couple common questions within this thread that I'd like to address in further detail:

1) Moderation -  While we do moderate reviews, we adhere to a strict set of guidelines which are mentioned on the Marriott Verified Reviews information page (http://www.marriott.com/marriott/hotels/MarriottVerifiedReviewsFAQs.mi).  We do not filter negative reviews unless they conflict with the moderation guidelines and if you look on the hotel websites, you will find there are negative reviews displayed. Moderation guidelines are a necessity, and all sites that post customer reviews have moderation guidelines in place, even TripAdvisor.

2) Guest Satisfaction Surveys (GSS) - this system does not favor who receives the survey: it randomly selects guests to ensure we get a good cross-section of customers, ranging by Rewards level, demographics, brand, location, etc.

I've shared all of your feedback with the team, and accepting reviews beyond the GSS system is being considered. To give you a deeper view of why we use this system: it gives us a way of ensuring that a guest has made a stay before they write the review. These are verified guest stays vs. other sites that will accept reviews regardless of whether you've made a stay or not, which we did see happening even on Insiders. The review is more authentic because you know the individual leaving it has actually stayed at the property, and how recently the stay was made.

I know sharing this information with you doesn't bring Hotel Reviews back to Insiders, but I hope you appreciate the information, just as I appreciate your feedback!

superchief1 Platinum

Thank you for your response and explanation regarding the rationale for the review link to the GSS. Although I understand that you want to assure that reviews are being given by those confirmed to have stayed at the property, this policy greatly limits the opportunity to review the hotel and provide insights to other potential guests considering the property. I doubt that many people would take the time to write a review unless they truly had a positive or negating experience with the hotel. Additionally, I've had positive and negative experiences worth sharing even when I haven't actually stayed there (yet). These may involve providing helpful information prior to my stay, or being very inflexible regarding MR stay options or policies.  All of these would be helpful for other potential guests.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sorry NathalieF but I simply don't buy the explanations.

Yes you did say the hotel reviews were going, as far back as September.

But what was not made clear was that the reviews that Insiders had taken a lot of time and trouble to write, in order to be of help in the community, would simply disappear for good in some Marriott trash can.

You did not make clear that there would be no way Insiders could leave a review unless they received an "invitation".  All this stuff about authentication is rubbish.  Unless every registered guest can leave a review, the system is meaningless.  As I have said, I have never - never - been asked to leave a review.  Therefore I am unable to assist my fellow Insiders by telling them what to expect, good or bad.

I have asked several times what percentage of guests are asked to complete a review.  This question has been completely ignored again and again.

Hilton gives every guest the opportunity to leave a review.  What is Marriott scared of?

I am sure you have noticed that several previously loyal and helpful Insiders have left.  jerrycoin to name but one.  erc has also been noticeable by his absence recently.  I have decided that, as my carefully worded reviews have been discarded and my questions go unanswered, I mean little to Marriott.  You clearly do not appreciate my feedback, whatever you say.  There is therefore no point in my wasting my time staying on this forum.

GOODBYE EVERYONE.

Hi, NathalieF. I also thank you for your response to this issue. I'm speaking only for myself, but I believe I may be speaking for others as well. I was surprised and disappointed that the MRI reviews weren't migrating to the Marriott website. From the community post dated 27 January "Hotel reviews removal coming soon": "We are working on the removal of Hotel Reviews from Insiders, and it should be complete this week. There will be some testing on the site this week to ensure everything is running smoothly with the removal of Hotel Reviews."

And from the post dated 10 September 2014 (emphasis mine):

"As a result of Ratings and Reviews moving to Marriott.com, the current Ratings and Reviews section on Insiders will be removed by the end of the year. We’ll be incorporating the reviews into one consistent channel – that channel being Marriott.com. We believe that integrating Ratings and Reviews with Marriott.com will ensure your feedback is quickly routed to the right people including our General Managers, ultimately leading to a better stay experience for you and all our guests."

"Incorporating" and "integrating" would lead one to believe the reviews would be combined in the new location, rather than the MRI reviews being deleted entirely. That may have been "as much transparency as possible back in September," but that was five months ago. It wasn't until just recently we found out the MRI reviews were removed. Had the post on September 10th stated, "All MRI reviews will be purged and will no longer be accessible on any site," I imagine you'd have heard this feedback on, oh, say, September 11th.

But, again, thanks. Sorry you have to be the one to face the agitated rabble.

NathalieF Thank you for your response.

I don't think that your explanation of the deeper understanding of the GSS system -- preventing people from submitting a review if they have not stayed at the property -- is necessarily an issue.  It certainly does not seem to be a problem that justifies removing Hotel Reviews from Insiders -- even if a different system was deemed more appropriate for marriott.com.

As superchief1 has commented, the detailed reviews that frequently were submitted to Insiders demonstrated that the individuals actually stayed at the hotels.

But let's assume for a moment that some illegitimate reviews slipped through from individuals who did not actually stay at the locations.  My guess is that such reviews were the ones that listed the reviewer as "guest".  By requiring a reviewer to be signed in to Insiders, you would further limit this possibility, as all reviewers would be identifiable (to the Marriott team) by their login.  If there were questions about the legitimacy of the review, the Marriott team could easily check whether the individual actually stayed at the location he or she was reviewing and remove illegitimate reviews.

I would like to emphasize some additional drawbacks in removing the Hotel Reviews from Insiders -- even if the GSS reviews continue to appear in marriott.com.  Some have mentioned the added value of reviews from dedicated Marriott members who have a broad view of various Marriott Hotels.  Many of the reviewers are known to the readers of Insiders by their login names and this adds to the credibility of the reviews.  In addition, many of the reviews that appeared on Insiders were much more detailed than the very brief comments that appear in almost all of the GSS reviews on marriott.com -- and that seem to be encouraged by the format of the questionnaires that are the source for the reviews.

Personally, I also find the change as potentially detrimental for Marriott, as I now find myself referring to Trip Advisor to check the reviews of the Marriott Hotels that I haven't stayed in (rather than Insiders) and this leads me (and may lead others) to consider other hotels that are more highly rated in Trip Advisor rather than selecting between the various Marriott Hotels in a given area.  I would think that this might be a matter of concern for Marriott.

Finally, I would like to return to a point that I mentioned earlier in this thread:  the new GSS system has no facility to choose a city and compare the reviews of the various Marriott Hotels in that city.  The loss of the comparative aspect of the Hotel Reviews is in my opinion a great loss.  I have used this comparative tool frequently in the past when I have had to choose between various Marriott Hotels in a particular location.

For all these reasons, community manager, I hope that the Marriott team will reconsider its decision to remove reviews from Insiders -- and also consider improvements on the new GSS hotel review format.

NathalieF It's a shame that we haven't heard anything from you about the specific issues that have been raised, other than your original, general response.  Since then there have been 19 postings (from 12 different individuals), some of which responded to specific things that you wrote and others that raised issues that were not included in your response and that I think should be of concern or at least interest to Marriott.

Perhaps we should read this optimistically.  You and the Marriott team are reevaluating the situation, including the format of the GSS system, and you don't want to respond until you have something more concrete to say. (?)

On the other hand, even if there will be no attempt to make any changes, I would hope that you would see the large number of responses as a reason to update us in more detail about your (and Marriott's) thoughts about the issues that have been posted.  I think that your involvement in the interchange taking place is of great importance.  Isn't that one of the central aims of MR Insiders?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

For all of the reasons stated by walksoftly, I believe that the removal of reviews from insiders is a mistake.  Marriott has made choosing a hotel, a bit more difficult.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I was a major supporter of getting the reviews under control. I still feel that way. The cry on here was that reviews were overwhelming travel related content. Insider reviews were a great source. Moving them to "the side" was the remedy...eliminating them was not.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

We did see a lot of reviews posted on Insiders that were nothing more than a place to vent frustrations. A poster would join MRI, put up a terrible review, and then never post again. Those reviews did little to enhance the narrative. On the other hand, reviews from regular contributors to this site, we of great help. Those of us who read and contribute to this site often, find great value in the comments by folks who we recognize (at least by their MRI name).

We did complain that too many reviews were clogging up the system. Segregating them from the rest of the content helped. I suppose removing them was the next logical stop. Just remember, we can still create discussions about properties (they just won't be "reviews" per se). When planning a trip (like I'm doing for Hawaii), I search this site for past content and ask questions of the community. The feedback I've gotten is far more valuable than either the reviews on Marriott.com or even the reviews that had been available here.

For good or for bad, the reviews are no longer a part of this forum. I used them once or twice and found them moderately helpful, but I won't really miss them. Remember, we still have the ability to create discussions or ask questions about certain properties or cities (think about all the discussions about where to stay in London). I put more faith in comments by jerrycoin, erc, jakeal, IAHFLYR, brightlybob, pluto77, and a host of others (please don't feel offended if I didn't mention you as this list would have been 10x longer ) than a generic review any day.

Keep posting about the places you love (and even those you don't). It may not be a "review" but it will add value to Insiders.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Used the reviews here a lot, since they tended to concentrate on matters of concern to regular stayers who know what to expect. Brickbats and bouquets would be relevant and based upon knowledge. I for one am sad to see them go though I did resurrect many of my reviews into threads.

I Intend to continue posting about my experiences at Marriotts here, but I realise they will be more difficult to find...

I agree with you brightlybob.  I also used the reviews on many occasions -- and learned to weed out the reviews that seemed to be no more than a venting of frustrations.

bejacob I think that the removal of the reviews is more like throwing out the baby with the bathwater than the cleaning of a clogged system.  Improvements in the old system were certainly in order -- especially preventing the "guest" reviews that were made by anonymous reviewers who did not log in to Insiders -- but in my opinion removing the reviews is too extreme as a response.  In any event, I hope that this step is reversible.

NathalieF We haven't seen your response to many of the specific issues raised in this thread by a number of those who have made the effort to detail their concerns (both about the removal of the Hotel Reviews on Insiders and regarding various aspects of the new GSS system on marriott.com).  It may be that your responses are limited by Marriott and its change of policy, but I think that the desire to maintain active and open interchange in Insiders is an important part of your position as community manager.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I agree completely. Just because I didn't use the reviews much didn't make them less useful to the community. I myself reviewed 30-some properties. Not all were good. Most were, but not all. I'd keep doing so if the option were available.

Removing reviews from the site may have been one step too far. BTW, thanks for starting this great discussion.

bejacob I guess chances are now slim that I'll ever score that coveted Master Reviewer badge.

I did find the MRI reviews helpful in choosing a property when researching options for a city or area with multiple properties that we'd never visited before. As you say, it's easy to get advice from fellow Insiders about highly trafficked locales -- NYC, DC, San Fran, Honolulu, etc. -- but for properties off the beaten path, I found the reviews for the most part to be both accurate and worthwhile. Oh, and no offense taken.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Expect a review from the MRY Marriott I just came home from......not sure yet where it will be posted, but next week it will appear!

worldwidetraveller Platinum 3 Reviews

I would like to do a review for my wonderful stay at a Marriott facility; but there is no way to do it now.  I found a blurb indicating that if I went to hotel's website, there is a "write a review button".  But I certainly could not find it.  The only thing related to a review is a button to read reviews.

Can someone tell me where I can post a review?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

There is one more question I'd like to see answered. Why? What problem are they trying to solve? Too many reviews? I doubt that as many properties only had a handful. Too many "negative" reviews? If that's the issue, then this is the wrong solution.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I have to add my two cents worth. I too agree with the posts above and very disappointed that they decided to remove the Insiders reviews. I liked having the ability to read reviews from frequent Marriott travelers. I am even more surprised that they did not migrate the reviews to the Marriott.com site. Many of us, myself included, wrote many reviews and the fact that they were just erased shows a lack of understanding on Marriott's part. Yes, I can go to Tripadvisor for reviews but this site offered something more, reviews from the people that I share a common interest with, Marriott hotels. It baffles me why Marriott would want to remove these reviews. I am a frequent traveler foir business and Platinum member. When deciding what hotel to stay at, it would seem beneficial for Marriott to want reward members to read reviews about Marriott properties rather then go to Tripadvisor and see other brands on the top 10 list.

As others have commented, I stay in Marriott hotels about 80 nights a year and I can't remember the last time I received a customer satisfaction survey so I do not believe this is a a viable alternative.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

so basicly  if you have a really bad hotel experiance and have made issuesknown to front desk  you have zero chance of getting one of these guest surveys then your review will never make a marriott related site ?

worldwidetraveller Platinum 3 Reviews

I had such a good experience during my recent stay in Beijing.  I guess I should have asked the hotel management for an email address where I can send my comments in directly to the facility.

In the past, I have asked for an email address of GM of a facility to let him know my experience (mostly good ones).  Recently, I used the hotel review on MRI.  Surprise!  When I tried to do a review on the Beijing facility, the hotel review section was removed.  It does beg for a question whether Marriott really cares about user comments. 

If as the communitymanager stated above, "it (the GSS) gives us a way of ensuring that a guest has made a stay before they write the review."  I have about 700 nights of stay and don't recall I received any GSS. Couldn't Marriott impose a date of stay on the review form, then verify whether a guest actually stayed?

Disappointing...

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I just returned from a 16 day trip staying at 6 Marriott properties.  I was only given the opportunity to review one of the 6 hotels and it was not the one where I experienced several problems.  Marriott has reduced the value of "insiders" and reduced the availability of reviews by this move.  This change has significantly reduced the value of this forum, by removing these reviews.

frequentstaymarriott Platinum 3 Reviews

This topic does not seem to be going away, and with good reason.

I have been 'chosen' several times for Guest Surveys for the Res. Inn I stay at every month.  NONE have ever made it to their web site, even in a highly edited form.  I have always been highly complimentary of staff, but there are always maintenance and infrastructure problems (including outer building doors not locking shut for weeks!).  This is a very old property and things have been falling apart for the last several years.

So, it appears that the guest review "moderation" process involves censoring any significant problems that are raised.  Only the briefest (likely edited), most satisfied reviews get posted along with the rare 1- and 2-star reviews with trivial 'issues' so that it doesn't look totally rigged.    

This Silicon Valley property--always booked solid--has not posted a review in THREE months!  And not including mine from a month ago with a detailed description of several maintenance problems and their employees continually parking in guest rego slots, among others.  

As well-mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Insider reviews are (sorry, were) far more valuable because the posters are experienced travelers and highly familiar with Marriott (and other) brands.  The reviews now posted, at least by my RI, are overwhelmingly from my Aunt Tilly from the Dakotas in town for a 3-day visit to San Fran. who is thrilled to have someone else make up her bed.  That's a 5-star rating to her :-)

In short, I now know that the property web site reviews are unreliable because of this so-called moderation process.

Cheers

plrosati Gold 8 Reviews

I have been absent from MRI for awhile and was looking for the reviews and found this conversation.  Funny, I seem to always get a guest satisfaction survey on the hotels that are exceptional and not once received one when I felt the property was not up to Marriott Standards.  And NONE of mine have ever been posted, either.

I end up going to Trip Advisor for ratings - and those are tough to sort through at times - but how can I get a good sense of the actual rating of a hotel when MR "moderates" all ratings?

plrosati Gold 8 Reviews

I have been absent from MRI for awhile and was looking for the reviews and found this conversation.  Funny, I seem to always get a guest satisfaction survey on the hotels that are exceptional and not once received one when I felt the property was not up to Marriott Standards.  And NONE of mine have ever been posted, either.

I end up going to Trip Advisor for ratings - and those are tough to sort through at times - but how can I get a good sense of the actual rating of a hotel when MR "moderates" all ratings?

702rugbyref Platinum

Bummer.. I enjoy writing reviews for both positive and negative reasons.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I stayed at Town Place Suites for the first time. I'd love to give them a great review. But I can't.

702rugbyref Platinum

I think it is very important to be able to provide reviews.

jc411 Platinum

I bumped into this post while searching for why I couldn't review any hotels. I've stayed numerous times over the past few years and I don't remember ever being offered to review. I don't understand why I can't submit a review through the Account Activity page since all my reservations are made directly through Marriott and thus I'm verified to have stayed. Limiting who can submit a review is very bad.

Platinum

in a word - "No"

insertcoffee Platinum

To add a few more data points:

--Out of many stays this year, have received the survey only twice

--Despite filling out the survey, and a very favourable one at that, surprisingly my detailed comments are not found on the websites of the hotels involved

--GM has very much reinforced to me that the surveys really are random; or at least, no power whatsoever is held by the property as to recipients. Since I am a happy guest at this property, and for other reasons, I have no reason to doubt GM

--The dearth of truly 'quality' reviews on the property websites forces additional searching, often at TA, which information I typically find less valuable, largely because I find too often more tourists/less seasoned travelers.  This does not mean they are not entitled to opinions.  It does mean we may evaluate different things differently, and that they will likely not be speaking to some things of particular interest to an elite member. I find it stunning in an era of the internet as well as VOIP, which allows for easy international and other calls, there can be so little knowledge. This lamentation is not, of course, restricted to the subject of hotel research.

--The 'reviews' on the the hotel websites are at best one tweet's worth of commentary. I'd love insight into the moderation/editing process here. I for one do not find it revelatory that a RI has hot breakfast.

--As a reinforcement of the point that the individual properties are 'clean' in the survey process, if a guest does not fill out their survey in time, the property has no ability to extend that time frame nor to re-send the survey invitation

--While not entirely OT for this thread, the GM has told me on numerous occasions that the surveys are read by her regional VP, other executives and C-levels as appropriate, and of course, management of each property. This is how her particular ownership handles things. Additionally, the results of the surveys are also all digested by Marriott. Not entirely certain what happens as a result of that intense scrutiny, but ostensibly it does take place.

After saying all of that, I'm also not in favour of the current review process. The material is not pithy enough, it is not possible to 'volunteer' to review a property, even with a verified stay (similar to Amazon's 'Verified Purchase' type reviews, which descriptive seems to imbue the review with a bit more credibility), it is not searchable/comparable to other properties in a user friendly way, and ultimately, for me, little value added outside of seeing what the patterns might be, either of complaints, compliments, or the way management responds or meets comments with silence.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Just use trip advisor both to post and to review hotels before I stay

I Just use trip advisor both to post and to review hotels before I stay

Platinum

jerryl and insertcoffee - Do you feel TA is far superior to yelp and either way I'd like to hear positives and negatives of each. I am always concerned that these sites are populated with x # of fake reviews, but agree that with larger properties, it's not easy to overcome a massive amount of real positive or negative reviews with fake ones.

Dan I look for a hotel with a lot of reviews and tend to throw out the bashers and those that just say it's great. Overall I have found it pretty good. Also I have noticed that the GM's of hotels  read them and often reply especially if there is a legitimate concern.

insertcoffee Platinum

My use of Yelp as a hotel review entity is almost non-existent. It (for me) seldom comes up in my searches on a property, and it is also possible my feelings about it is coloured by restaurant information in its green age.

I think TA does have a purpose and a value.  I think that is influenced by the specific property or region you are searching on. I think that in more touristic areas, even with a high biz traveler volume, you have to filter out some of the noise. A lot of times I'm going for themes or patterns:  if thirty people over a period of time are saying don't stay below the 8th floor unless you want to hear the bar at 2AM, that likely has merit, whether they are tourists or Double Platinum, and similar kinds of things. I'm less interested on that kind of a website what someone else thinks is a good breakfast/dinner/bottle of wine/bed is hard/bed is soft/carpet is ugly than I am in more concrete things, how the GM responds (or doesn't) to both compliments and complaints, and any mentions of construction work, in particular, and the gym. Somehow property websites are a bit slow to mention that ongoing remodel during your stay, or that the gym or whirlpool is out of commission-- and these folks will definitely mention that on TA.

Regarding fakery:  I'm sure it exists. How rampant, and who might be the offenders (the property or guests with an axe to grind), I have no idea. I'd be more inclined in most circumstances to believe a ranting machine has gone off the deep end and created multiple new accounts to complain about fill-in-the-blank perceived slight than I would think of GMs doing that, but I have zero facts to support this and only observations of human nature.

And, randomly:  you can only comment on the same property once in three months from your account. You can't even update if something improved or was corrected (in my experience) prior to that. So anything above this would require creation of new accounts and use of separate e-mail addresses, at a minimum.

10yearsplatinum Gold

I have never, ever received a post-stay satisfaction survey, and I've been a Marriott Rewards member for over 19 years. In fact, I should have Lifetime Platinum status within 18 months.

As I have had a number of absolutely horrible Marriott-property stays this year, I've taken to posting reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor.