22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2015 8:47 AM by Sledchick RSS

Travel Thoughts After Labor Day

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are looking for a few ideas on places to visit for 4-5 nights along the east coast during September 2015. We would prefer the northeast as we travel west fairly regularly, but are open to all suggestions other than Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston, NYC and Florida all places we love yet have visited those destinations a number of times. Quaint beach towns or cities that have excellent seafood probably are on the top of the list.

Insiders, what are your suggestions please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Hampshire, USA
Maine, USA
  • Re: Travel Thoughts After Labor Day

Has anyone stayed recently at either of the Niagara Falls hotels?  Haven't been to the falls since I was a little tyke and just ran across that while searching Canada.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

fly into Boston and go up the coast. Portsmouth NH, then York Harbor, Kennebunkport( go to Maine dinner in Wells they have the best seafood chowder acclaimed by food channel), Camden and if you want Bar Harbor. Tourist are all gone but seafood restaurants generally open and weather still warm. We have stayed and the Kennebunkport Inn after labor day. Less expensive rates and you can park and walk into town and beach. You will need the car if you want to see Bush compound.

curiousone Platinum

If you enjoyed Boston, I would suggest Portland OR. I think Portland OR is the Boston of the west coast. I have always enjoyed Boston, but went to Portland OR for the first time in 2013 and loved it. Great public transportation with a compact downtown cut through by a river, just like Boston. Multiple downtown parking lots are ringed with stationary food trucks/trailers with an amazing variety of foods. Don't miss Vodoo donuts if you go. According to local lore Portland OR was name by a guy from Boston MA and Portland ME tossing a coin. So, it almost was Boston of the west coast.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So glad to hear you enjoyed Portland, curiousone, and you're right! The city was named Portland based on a coin flip. It's a big story here in PDX. There's even a restaurant down the street from me called the Penny Diner, which is themed after the event.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket?

I like the Kennebunkport idea as well as Camden, heard great things about Camden so guess I'll start to check some spots out up in New England, thanks for the info jerryl.  @pluto77 I've spent so much time in D.C. when working (they'd send me there when I was in trouble ), plus with N.E. we can fly Cape Air into some of those spots. 

Keep those cards and letters coming folks.  Thanks

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

one more point on the Maine dinner in Wells just down the road from Kennebunkport. The seafood chowder has large chunks of clams, lobster , shrimp and fish. It was highlighted on Diners, drive ins and dives. there is also another clam stop for fried clams  I think it is called Bob's clam hut in Kittery on your way up  . I am making myself hungry.

If Triple D visited it then it is a must.  We've been to probably 10 of the joints on the show and found each one to be top notch. 

I was told last night that the Mrs. would like to visit the Newport Villas so that has now shown up on the RADAR.  I know pluto77 loves the spot and has a favorite building if not room!!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

IAHFLYR If you do stay at Newport Villas, let me know when, maybe we can meet.  I will be gone almost 2 weeks in Sept but maybe our paths might be able to cross.

Will do that californian, yet also on the mind is Nova Scotia as RBF is looking into.  Wife just would rather not make a day of flying and changing planes to get some place thus her desire for Newport, a short hop from SNA.

When you decide, let me know if you will be coming to the west coast and the dates and we can invite others.  Pluto and possible ERC, among others may join us.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Washington DC!

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

This Might be a little South of what you had in mind but my Wife and I enjoyed a stay at The Grand Hotel in Point Clear Alabama. The location on Mobile Bay is very nice and the city of Fairhope nearby is quaint, There are several good places for seafood nearby , Our favorite locally was  Wintzell's   just  a short distance down the street from the hotel. The location on Mobile Bay is very nice. We enjoyed a road trip to Dauphin Island ( Civil War Buff)   and Mobile is close by which was fun.

So many great and appealing ideas.  If I didn't already have travel plans, I would be looking at these.  But there is next year.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We are researching a trip to Acadia National Park and points north...Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, etc.  The more I read about it, the more interested I am in learning more about this area.  I think a trip after Labor Day, especially into October, would be perfect for leaf peeping, eating seafood, viewing wildlife, eating more seafood, etc.

I did most of this last August.  If you let me know what you are interested in seeing, perhaps I can help.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hi, Cal.  We are thinking about flying into Bangor and renting a car there.  We would head to Acadia National Park, probably staying in the Bar Harbor area for several days.  From there we would head toward Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.  I am just beginning to research that area.  We are interested in scenery and wildlife viewing, as well as local sights along the Atlantic.  We are also interested in areas where the Acadians settled before leaving for Louisiana.  I am interested in getting recommendations for lodging, dining, sights not to miss, a workable itinerary, etc. Thanks for your help.

There is a Marriott on the water in Halifax.  I didn't stay there but it looked nice.  I used

SPG points to stay 5 nights at the Westin which was nice too.  4 days was a little too long but the 5th night was free.  While there I drove to Peggy's Cove which was nice to see but touristy.  The main purpose for me was to see the tides in NB.  I really enjoyed seeing the highest tides in the world.  If tides interest you, I will give more details.  I stayed at the Moncton Residence Inn and liked it.  It is located in a good area where you can walk to eat and have many choices.

I also went to Prince Edward Island and now I saw it.  If I knew before I took the time, I would not have gone.  They charge $45 to cross the bridge to get there.  You only pay one way.  To me, this was outrageous.  The weather on the island is the most unpredictable in Canada and can change on a dime.  I didn't find it very scenic.  I did eat the best lobster there and in a way that made it worth while but expensive.

I didn't see any wildlife on my trip but did see some great scenery. 

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Hi IAHFLYR-

I posted something earlier today which might interest you if you have category 5 certificates or points to use up.  Look on the 2015 category changes thread.  This could coincide with going to Maine if that's where you are leaning...

Thanks much Sledchick, I will check it out later as the golf course is calling early today before the rain, wind, huge temp drop come in and make it crazy cold here this afternoon.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Well have a good round!  I can only dream of golf at this point.  On Saturday I am attending a rules clinic at one of the local courses, and I will be staring out the window at the several feet of snow gracing the course!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...