6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2015 1:18 PM by foxglove RSS

Fun New York City Quick Trip

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The wife and I found some great seats to see Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden so we took advantage of it and made a quick trip last week to NYC.  We flew First Class from IAH-LGA on UA, great flight with DirectTV and WiFi, had a nice lunch of Chicken Salad and my wife had a Turkey and Swiss Sandwich, both which came with a Tortilla Soup, plenty of wine and to top it off we got in early.

We decided to take a taxi from LGA to the Hotels in Midtown Manhattan - Midtown East Hotels | New York Marriott East Side where we had used the Marriott Mobile App to check-in the day before.  After a short 20 minute ride we arrived at the hotel we went to the Mobile Check-In desk where we were met with two Associates that were smiling and warmly greeted us.  They said we had been upgraded to a Jr. Suite and off we went to a very nice large clean fresh room on the 14th floor.

P1020960.JPGP1020961.JPG

We unpacked quickly, surveyed the room to make sure we had a mini-fridge which we did then off to find a spot for Happy Hour as it was already after noon most places!!   We had planned on going to Chin Chins but Jimmy had recently closed the place on E 48th St. in order to open a larger place near SoHo if I remember.  When we walked out the front door of the hotel we met the Doorman (Jimmy and John) who both agreed we should try  Da Noi | Midtown Manhattan NYC so around the corner we went and found a very quaint and very friendly bar atmosphere (New York is so friendly) where we enjoyed some "prescribed meds" and met a friendly fun lady who insisted on ordering us Portobello Al Barolo that was stupid wonderful.  What a find this was and how fun it was to mingle with the locals and visitors as they strolled in for dinner or Happy Hour.

My wife had many years of conventions at the Luxury Manhattan Hotel | Waldorf Astoria New York & Towers, NYC so of course we had to visit the place and have a drink with her favorite NYC Bartender (Sonny) at Sir Harry's then wander about the hotel some and visit the famous ballroom before heading over to Rockefeller Center.

P1020956.JPG

P1020949.JPGP1020951.JPGP1020955.JPG

Back outside the wind had picked up and the 39 degrees felt pretty cold for us Texas residents, but we were ready and the Christmas Tree looked gorgeous.

P1020965.JPGP1020963.JPG

And of course no trip to NYC is complete without thaYPD for tnking the Nheir protection and keeping us safe.

P1020966.JPG

The next day was Billy Joel at MSG, so we wandered the city some and wanting an early afternoon meal went over to 9th Avenue to a small fun spot called Pure Thai Cookhouse and oh was it ever worth the walk.  Amazing food with just as amazing employees who helped us select which meals were the best.  We started with Steamed Vegetable Dumplings that are the best we've ever had, perfectly cooked and yummy.  I forget what my wife had that came with Glass Noodles, but I had the Ratchaburi......OMG they were both incredibly fresh, flavor filled and perfect.  The prices here are very very low particularly for NYC so if in the area you must stop in for food.  I don't think our entire bill with three glasses of wine came to $60 with a nice tip.  Sorry no pictures of the food as the camera was in the room.

That evening it was off to the concert at MSG.  We had never been in MSG, but what a nice arena.  Our seats were abeam the front of the stage on the side about 12 rows up.  The atmosphere was electric and Billy Joel put on a splendid performance for just under 2+45, no intermission and between songs he played Christmas Music.  His band has been together with him for too many years to count and they were just as great as Billy, what a special night to see them perform in their home town at Madison Square Garden.  WOW, might be the best concert we had ever seen and the audience rocked all night long.

Full day two was spent again wandering the city.....first time into St. Patrick's Cathedral that is still being renovated, what a gorgeous spot and so thankful it was open to be able to see first hand.  The sound from the Pipe Organ was so moving and lovely.  Of course someone had to stop and ask one of the construction workers how much of an honor it was to be doing work on the Cathedral.....he was completely happy to chat for quite a while.

P1020990.JPGP1020986.JPGP1020980.JPGP1020980.JPG

P1020983.JPG

P1020979.JPG

Since we again had tickets for that evening for a show we decided to wander down W. 46th St. to find a little cozy spot for lunch.  We walked without any direction on where we would go until we saw two business men coming out of a small little spot called http://becco-nyc.com/ and was it ever packed at 1:30 PM for lunch.  We were lucky enough to find two seats at the very end of the bar.  This is what came out with our wine as we waited to order our salad and Spaghetti to share.  The food was very very good, Tomato Sauce very very light and then we found out they had Meatballs as they were not on the menu so of course we were required to take three back to the room for a snack after the show.  They had one lunch special where you could get three different pasta dished and the servers would walk around with huge pans of the pasta serving those who ordered the special all they could eat.  It was just crazy good and fun.

P1030001.JPG

We were going to Beautiful The Carole King story that night......wow what a life she lived and all the music she was involved in writing.  Jessie Mueller is AMAZING and highly recommend getting tickets to the show.

P1020996.JPGP1020995.JPGP1020994.JPG

Scheduled to fly out at 5:20 PM so we thought let us go to our favorite Greek spot right around the corner from the hotel for lunch before leaving.  Avra Estiatorio we have been visiting for years, just a cozy little place with wonderful food and wines. Wife wanted brunch so she got Poached Eggs while I decided on Swordfish Brochette.....what a perfect meal to end our quick NYC visit.

P1030007.JPGP1030011.JPG

With a couple of hours until our Supershuttle Private Car would pick us up we decided to walk around some and see the sights, Saks Fifth Avenue was so pretty to see all decorated inside, but the lines around the windows to see the Christmas Scenes was so deep we couldn't get near them.

P1030003.JPGP1030002.JPGP1030004.JPGP1030006.JPG

Perfectly on time our car to the airport ended up being an SUV with a friendly talkative driver, only way to leave NYC. During our lunch we got an update on our flight from EWR to IAH and it wasn't good.  They (UA) had decided to change planes from a very nice B752 with lie flat seats in Business First to a B739ER.  Okay that change alone is not that bad since we would still have a nice seat in First Class, but the kicker was that plane was leaving from IAH to come get us and it would be some four hours late getting us home.  I'll leave the discussion right there as this is a family rated sight...... At least UA gave us a travel certificate for some compensation for disrupting not only our travel day, but many who had connecting flights at IAH had to spend the night as their flights had long since gone when we landed.  It is UA so what can I say.

Happy Holidays everyone and enjoy a wonderful Insiders 2015. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Fun New York City Quick Trip
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Great post! You should have let me know you were going to be in the city, we could have met up!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It was covert ops!!! LOL  Honestly it didn't even dawn on me, I'm such an idiot.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Love your pics and the info!  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like a great time! 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

PS - Between you and me, we could probably fly around the world with United certificates!  I have a stack of them and finally was able to use a couple for an upcoming trip!

, I've burned all my UA certs and I don't mean used I mean fire!

Not really, but have used quite a few recently that's for sure.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Excellent report -- although it will probably be hours before I get Tony Bennett singing "Christmas in Herald Square" outta my head. But truth be told, I already needed a little Christmas. Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...