21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2016 2:43 PM by AndrewT RSS

Platinum Challenge/Gold Challenge

cohensz Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I recently started traveling for work and I cannot be more excited. I have the Marriott Rewards Credit Card and therefore have silver status. I was told by a co-worker to call Marriott Rewards and apply for the Platinum Challenge. I called after reading some of the reviews on this site, but was told I could only do the Gold Challenge which was 6 stays in 3 months. They told me I would be Gold once I finished the challenge and I could only do a challenge that is the current level above me.

When I told my co-workers, they told me they were all able to do the Platinum Challenge even when they were Silver. Is there another way to go about this or am I already stuck in the Gold Challenge?

Thanks!

cohensz

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Challenge/Gold Challenge
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi cohensz, and welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders! So excited to have you join our community, and glad to see you've already jumped in with a great post. This forum is the perfect place to ask questions such as the one you pose here. You'll come to find that the other Insiders are very knowledgeable when it comes to Marriott Rewards, and are always very helpful in answering questions about the program. This forum is also a great place to seek tips, advice and insights when it comes to travel. The insiders are always sharing experiences, ideas, and photos, and are always willing to jump in and help you out with travel plans.

You can also always coming to myself, The specified item was not found., @KatieC, or NathalieF with any question or issues you have. We are the moderation team for this forum and are always happy to help

You bring up a great topic, and you are correct in that you can only do a challenge for the next level up. So at this time, you are eligible for the Gold Challenge.

Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

TOtraveller Gold

hi Lindsey, can you tell me what are the parameters of the platinum challenge?  is it 6 stays in 3 months?

I am currently gold and always miss Platinum by few nights every year.

it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in treatment by various properties, etc.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

TOtraveller, I'll share my experience. I took the Platinum challenge last year. It was 6 stays in 3 months.

As for treatment, I've always been treated well regardless of my status. I do like earning the additional points, but other than that (and the United Silver status), I haven't noticed much difference between being Gold versus Platinum.

TOtraveller Gold

thank you bejacob.

I am more curious about the additional benefits like 50% bonus points and if the property would provide upgrades more readily.

I rarely ask for an upgrade but some of the things like fruit basket welcome package, etc would be nice

The 50% bonus on points is great. It seems the best way to get an upgraded room is to ask (and being Gold or Platinum seems to make little difference). As for the Platinum arrival gift, I usually take points. The best I recall being offered was $10 off in the bar or restaurant. FFI, SHS, and ResInn typically offer something from the Marketplace. CY gives points and something from the Marketplace. It's nice to get something (points or otherwise).

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

I just recently completed the Platinum challenge.

I didn't receive a Platinum Elite card--- they just referenced a mobile card.

Due to compliance/ security issues at work, I really don't use my cell phone for much other than regular phone calls--- no apps.....

How does one get an old fashioned Platinum card?   Thanks!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey gomer, I'm going to look into this for you. I'll get back to you once I've got clarity.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Live in the UK and the card comes through annually in the post. It takes a while though!

Likewise when I did the plat challenge a couple of years ago I did receive the plastic card in the post, eventually. Your plat status is registered on your account and I can't remember the last time I needed to flash the card. Indeed I dont even know where it is...

Hi again, gomer. Our team can send you a card, depending on what country you reside in. Shoot me a direct message with your Rewards number and they will see if they can mail one out to you.

eghosa Platinum

Hi Lindseyh,

Please point me to the guidelines wrt level acquisition and changes - it took several weeks of Marriott resort stay(s) to make my Platinum level (else I could have been smarter and cut costs - lol)!

Sometimes I get some details muddled up, but please help confirm these:

1) if I indulge with my points and convert to say a purchase, how does that impact on level - typical exemple, if from a few 100,000s, one drops to say 50,000 points

2) Marriott's platinum level is permanent (except converted, say) and has no expiration (i.e. unlike air mile privileges with several airlines)

3) For MVCI members, Marriott's platinum level implies one can make resort bookings across the whole year...

Thanks,

Eghosa

Hey eghosa, sorry that your questions were overlooked. I'm passing your questions on to our team for clarity. Stay tuned!

Hi there eghosa. Our team looked into your questions and confirmed the following:

1) Platinum status is earned by staying 75 eligible nights in a calendar year. It has nothing to do with how many points are in the account.

2) All Elite status level must be re-earned or re-qualified for each calendar year.

3) You can contact Marriott Vacation Club directly for questions dealing with timeshares at 800-845-4226

Please let me know if I can help with anything else

greekbecky Platinum

Hi Lindseyh,

I too am wondering about the Gold challenge.  I signed up for it over a month ago, but do not see it listed in my 'promotions' on my Marriott profile.  I admit that signing up was not easy.  I called in twice.  The first agent told me the promotion had expired, so I thought I was out of luck.  A few days later, I called Marriott for another reason and asked the second agent, just out of curiosity, about the promotion.  She politely signed me up, yet there is no mention of it in my profile.  This feels a little like a secret society.  Any way of checking f I am actually signed up?  I've had at least 3 stays since signing up (if I am at all) and will be traveling again soon, so it would be helpful to know the status.

Thanks in advance...greekbecky

greekbecky, the Gold challenge will not show up with other promotions. If you had to call to sign up, the Marriott customer service folks keep track of your stays manually and grant you Gold status once you've made the 6th stay. It's likely they won't even check until the end of the time period, so it is a good idea to call as soon at the last qualifying stay posts to your account.

On the rare occasion that Marriott offers this type of promotion, it does show up on your promotions page. Similarly, if you switch to a different MegaBonus, the original promotion is what shows up, not the one you switched to.

The best way to find out where you stand is to call customer service. They can review your account far more quickly than any other method. They should also be able to tell you how many more stays you need to complete the challenge.

This is one area where the website and email correspondence is less helpful than making a phone call. Give that a try and report back on what you find out.

greekbecky Platinum

Thank you, bejacob

bcharnley Silver

HI @lindseyh, how do I sign up for the Marriott gold challenge? Can I do it through you without having to call Marriott directly?

YogiB Platinum

Yes, Community Managers have the power to hook you up directly with the challenge!

However, it would help getting their attention by tagging them properly (it should show up as a link): lindseyh

Or write them a direct message (which will happen any way, since she'll need to know your MR#).

Good luck with the challenge!

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi bcharnley,

We can certainly assist you with this. Please send me a direct message with your Rewards number and we can get started.

Thanks!

shareonthego Silver

Hi All,

I recently dropped down in status from Gold to Silver but have a good deal of international travel coming up.  Who / what phone number do you contact about seeing if you are "challenge eligible".  Thanks!

If the change just happened, you might be better off spending points to "buy back" your Gold status. Check out Maintain your Elite status for 2015 – Elite Buy Back returns. It will cost 25,000 points, but well worth it (in my opinion).

If you dropped to Silver last year, just call the MR guest services number (listed on the back of your rewards card). They can explain the challenge and get you signed up.

gb3 Platinum

I've already had two stays in the year-to-date.  Is it possible to start the Platinum Challenge as of the first of the year (about 35 days ago)? or does it have to start today, going forward?

thanks

gb3

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...