11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2015 12:42 AM by lifeontheroad RSS

No Conceirge Lounges in the Caribbean?

cticm_travel Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I just spent a week at LaConcha Renaissance in San Juan Puerto Rico.  It's been a couple years, but I was surprised they had closed the conceirge lounge.  A staff member told me that Marriott had closed all conceirge lounges for Caribbean properties a couple of years ago.  That can't be totally correct because I'm sure I saw one open at the Ritz in St Thomas just last February (I didn't go in though).

Anyone know the full story?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Juan, Puerto Rico Renaissance Hotels La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
  • Re: No Conceirge Lounges in the Caribbean?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I know the ren in aruba has no lounge

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi cticm_travel, thanks for posting this! This is a great question, and I'm looking into more information for you. Stay tuned!

ndn Platinum

Ritz will almost  always have a club lounge, since it costs more to get in. Marriott resorts though will rarely have them. Most Caribbean properties would be resorts.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey cticm_travel, here's what I learned! ndn is correct (thanks for your helpful response, by the way!) in that all of the full service properties in the Caribbean are Resorts, and they did remove concierge lounges from all resorts several years ago. This is the case for Resorts in all locations, not just the Caribbean.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there are any other questions

xtopher Platinum 1 Reviews

That stinks. I am headed there on June 1st. In the past, the lounge at La Concha was extremely nice.

mrf Gold 1 Reviews

When I was at La Concha in February, they offered us a 30% discount in the restsurant in lieu of the lounge closing.

Free breakfast if you were business traveler on a corporate rate.

lifeontheroad Platinum

the laConcha tower is great, the bar is great but don't ever allow them to stick you in a room not in the tower.  down the road just a few blocks is another Marriott property. - Stellaris. I don't think it's considered a "resort" and last  i knew had all the normal business amenities.  bonus it also has back up power and solid wifi which la conch does not - lived there loved it but know it too well

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Well that stinks. I was at the San Juan Marriott and Stelaris last April and it was great. The CL was on the penthouse floor and was fantastic. Indoor and outdoor seating, plenty of food and drinks, a great place to catch a sunset. What a shame.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

This is news to me! While I did know that most resorts do not have lounges, there were still some that did, including the resorts in San Juan. I was just at the Marriott San Juan a couple of years ago and they had a great lounge. This is a real shame. Not just for this particular hotel but for other Resorts and the continuing diminishment of the loyalty program. To top it off, the resorts do not offer breakfast or even coffee. A 30 % discount? Really...that's it?  Just sad. I have always been a huge fan of Marriott Rewards and continue to travel 80 nights a year staying at Marriott's. One of the big benefits for me was being able to take my family on vacation and be treated special because I was Platinum. Since they are ones to have to put up with my travel, it was the one thing I could do for them to see why I travel so much. I really get worried reading about this that it will only get worse and at some point, it just will not be worth staying with one hotel brand for the loyalty program. I often stay at a hotel that is not the most convenient and not the nicest simply because I want to stay with the Marriott brand. Further dilution of the loyalty and points program will only make me rethink my sacrifices for keeping with the Marriott brand.

lifeontheroad Platinum

the food was mediocre at best except breakfast anyway. Go have the sliders in outside. They rock!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...