48 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2015 3:03 PM by sapeltier RSS

Platinum Benefit Suggestion - cancellation policy

nicerinperson Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a newly minted Lifetime Platinum member my suggestion is to allow Platinum members to have a day of arrival cancellation policy instead of 1 day before arrival.

I often need to change directions and the new 1 day before arrival cancellation implemented this year makes it difficult for me to reserve in advance. Platinum members don't cancel without reason and stay a significant number of nights each year. I find the new 1 day before arrival policy to be overly restrictive and this simple benefit would bring back the experience to which I've become accustomed over the past 14 years of membership.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Benefit Suggestion - cancellation policy
    superchief1 Platinum

I support this suggestion. If Marriott is not willing to add this benefit, it would help if they would at least offer a specified amount of cancellation wavers per year, perhaps 10 for platinum, 5 for Gold, and 3 for Silver.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

atlblue Platinum

+1

KatieC Member

Thanks for sharing this feedback, everyone. We'll send this to the internal team for sure, and we'll keep an eye on this thread for additional comments.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks, KatieC.  These blanket changes in policy are always troublesome to the MRIs who normally would cancel a reservation well in advance of the check-in date, but want the flexibility, if there is an emergency for example, to cancel the day of the check-in.  In all my 30+ years with Marriott I have never canceled a reservation on the same day as the check-in date.  Thanks for serving this up for us, appreciate it.

KatieC Member

You are most welcome. Thanks, as always, for the feedback.

theretiree Platinum

So KatieC.  Here it is June, we just got back from our latest 7 Marriott-day trip, and no change.  all us Gold/Platinum members sure have a lot of influence with Corporate don't we.

BTW:  I now make it a practice to give feedback on TripAdvisor, and while I generally praise the Marriott properties, I do always highlight your new cancelation policy.  Only Evansville East Fairfield has acknowledged and promised to pass on my views to Corporate.  Powerful, aren't I? . 

KatieC Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience theretiree. This is the place to share it and I am glad to hear that the property has also passed your views on to the team at Corporate.

If there are any updates to the policy the Insiders community will be informed. 

nicerinperson Platinum

Day of cancellations for me typically only happen a few times a year, but they do happen.

A few years ago I occasionally would make a reservation at a hotel across town instead of the one I meant to stay at which would cause a day of cancellation at the hotel where the reservation was originally made. Often the hotel I meant to stay at would take care of it for me. If this mistake happened with the current policy I would have to load my belongings back into the vehicle and leave one property to go to the other or else pay for accommodations at two properties.

Thank you for looking into this!

atl-gs Gold 1 Reviews

Yes, please re-visit this. I have been 100% Marriott loyal for years and this is a little troubling. It only happens a few times a year but for those few times it is a big deal. My employer prefers I use another chain but I have been able to hold them off for a long time.

If my employer has to pay for nights that I don't stay because my travel plans change I will probably be forced to change to leave Marriott!! I don't want that to happen. Please roll this back or at least give us 5 a year as suggested.

randian Platinum

And what was the feedback?

Well, I don't book in advance anymore because of this policy, and now I've been burned again of a hotel selling out.  The last time I was travelling with someone else so this is now becoming a real problem.  I've decided I'm going to start staying at other chains as well now, especially since I have lifetime Platinum.  I'm not going to limit myself to Marriott, and I'll take this is a sign I should start staying at other brands which will also give me more vacation options. 

This may be the worst policy for loyal business customers, so I hope this is worth it for Marriott to lose extremely loyal customers.

I'll still do my Marriott stays and may try and get the Megabonus, but at other times my first choice will now be other brands, and the reason is this policy.  I guess diversification is the best strategy, so I should thank Marriott for reminding me of that.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

If they are smart and listening to the feedback here, Marriott will look to add this feature for its most loyal travelers.  Like others, I've found myself looking outside the Marriott family of hotels recently due to this change.

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree

geauxirish Platinum

Love this idea. I agree it makes me more hesitant to book w Marriott because of this policy.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I also agree with the idea that Gold/Platinum Elite members should be allowed to cancel up till day of arrival.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Due to the weather today my flight was cancelled.  I called the hotel to change my arrival to tomorrow and was told there would be no charge.  Good experience on my first time cancelling the day of ... hope this will be the basic trend!  Logic prevailed this time!

Happy Travels!

Frogs,

Glad that worked out for you.  That maybe a good way to get around the system since there are currently no change fees for most reservations.  I'm guessing one could always change their reservation to a future date and then cancel prior to the deadline if they needed to.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

While I understand the intent, I'd have to disagree (and I say this as a Lifetime Platinum member).  What about Golds?  What about Silvers? 

The policy is simply a revenue grab by Marriott.  Whether it works out for them remains to be seen.  There are already reports of corporations taking Marriott off their preferred vendor list or moving them further down the list because of the 1-day policy.  Whether the revenue Marriott gains is enough to offset that which it loses, only time will tell.  If it does the policy will stay the same.  If it doesn't then I expect Marriott to do a we listened to our customers & are going to offer same day cancel again.

FWIW - what I'd like to see (and it's not relevant to the cancel policy but is a bit priority for me) is Marriott giving points for incidental spend at all brands where there can be incidental spend.  It's ridiculous that some brands that offer extras such as food & drink don't earn points (yes I'm looking at you Ritz Carlton, Edition, Courtyard, Moxy, Springhill Suites).

Cheers.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I also suggested that Platinum's have a different policy or in end if little there is little difference  across the board why strive for Platinum. I know airlines ( Delta as a example) allows their top level to cancel or change at last minute( or at least close to flight day). So why not give another benefit to Marroitt's top customers

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

Agree 100%.  This policy has affected me several times this last year.  Often, I won't book a room until I land if there is any question of arrival such as storms or a change in my plans.  This new policy DOES NOT generate good will! 

jolejniczak Platinum 1 Reviews

I have not heard of this policy.  The reservations I've made this year still allow me to cancel by 4PM the day of check-in. 

livesnearcorp Platinum

As a lifetime Gold and soon to be lifetime Platinum, I don't like this policy at all. It has always been a main feature and something I boasted to friends about is how flexible Marriott is, or should I say was. I change reservations regularly, now this adds a stress level to traveling that I don't need. I have had no issues with requesting to cancel inside the deadline, but it's never a given, and it's one thing if it's a $79/day rate or a much higher one. Don't put the squeeze on your most loyal, we will be more loyal to our pocketbook.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

As one in livesnearcorp situation (lifetime Gold and soon to be lifetime Platinum) I also feel that this policy should not apply to lifetime members. At the very least, the earlier suggestion that each level have a specific number of waivers for the year. Let's hope that Marriott gives this some serious consideration.

2travelforever Platinum 1 Reviews

This new cancellation policy is not good. Plans change last minute.  My flight was canceled due to no fault of my own and I was able to cancel my stay, but that was last year.  I would have been charged this year.  Yes, as a lifetime Gold I would love to have the policy change back, but think it should apply to all.

randian Platinum

This is a horrible policy.  Basically I've stopped booking my rooms in advance.  I will now only book my hotel when I am half an hour from the hotel and many times when I pull up to the hotel.  I will say the mobile app is good for this, but if I end up not being able to stay in a hotel and this causes inconvenience I will start looking elsewhere.  I just earned my lifetime platinum last week so maybe I will start earning at other brands.  If I see the same policy at other brands start, I just hope there is no collusion going on.  Hilton seems to have implemented the same policy at the same time... Hmmmm?

chris0311 Platinum

I think if a change is done then it should apply to all elites. 50 nights a year is just as loyal as 75.

vickisocal Platinum

Well, actually no, it is 25 nights less loyal.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

While I agree this should be a policy exclusion for ALL elites, I do take exception to your gold is the same level of loyalty as platinum.  Loyalty can be measured in a variety or ways, some would argue that being a gold member for 20 years is more loyal than being platinum for 5yrs.  Certainly Marriott sees the longevity play of loyalty in rewarding folks with lifetime status at various levels.  They also value folks that spend ridiculous amounts of time in hotels away from family/friends (me included) with some amazing perks and a whole new level of status.  While some argue that perks of these higher statuses aren't worth it (and I agree sometimes) they do still exist if one is able to capitalize on them.  On the other hand, if someone only spends 50 nights on the road for work and they spend 100% of those nights with a brand, that brand has no way of knowing or valuating that fact, so that becomes personal choice and hopefully they feel rewarded for that loyalty.

At the end of the day however, loyalty to the bean counters is clearly a function of money, generally in the quantifiable form of nights, specifically paid nights one has been loyal in staying.  They have in the recent years expanded this to include money spent on "rewarding events" and the loyalty credit card to broaden horizons I suppose.  These still do generate money for Marriott and thus are rewarded with status nights to continue with the quantifiable format.

The fact of it is that while its 25 more nights to get platinum, that's also north of $2000 spent figuring $80/night spend as a talking point.  That's a significant amount of spend that someone has consciously decided to spend with some group, even if its $80/night.  It's a month more of their lives that they've spent away from home and decided that Marriott was the place to do that.  And at the end of the day, that requires those who have the occasion to be away from home more often to make conscious decisions about their loyalty....and that should be rewarded differently.

On a side note, there's really nothing glamorous about being a road warrior with 150+ paid nights a year but the rewards don't suck and vacations become infinitely more affordable with points  

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well put zukracer

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"Well, actually no, it is 25 nights less loyal." vickisocal Well, actually, no, it's simply 25 fewer nights; it's no less loyal.

"Loyalty can be measured in a variety or ways, some would argue that being a gold member for 20 years is more loyal than being platinum for 5yrs." zukracer One might also argue that staying at only one particular chain for 28 nights in one year -- all self-paid -- is every bit as loyal, if not more so, than staying 75 nights on the corporate or client dime. But you hit the nail on the head in saying that the bean counters look only at the bottom line of revenue generated, so the rewards are granted accordingly.

We're getting into semantics here, but I respectfully disagree that one's elite status is a measure of "loyalty." Rather, it's primarily a measure of nights stayed -- and little more.

chris0311 Platinum

I couldn't agree more. I stay around 30-50 nights a year with Marriott with my own money. I always book suites and I am not shy about using room service. Marriott makes a killing from my love of luxury vacationing. I don't view myself as any more important than anyone else however. We as people who love staying with Marriott should receive the same benefits.That is my point of view.  Road warriors, your 25 extra nights stayed a year that your company paid for anyway does not make you any more special.

I am one of the people that Delta angered when they changed their loyalty program but you have to at least admire their honesty. They are rewarding the people with whom they make the most money from. Not frequent travelers but first/business class travelers. I wonder if Marriott switched to that system how many of the "loyal" Platinum members would stick around. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, chris0311 you'll be delighted to know that Marriott does reward $$$$ loyalty. With loyalty points. The more $$$ you spend with Marriott, the more of them you accumulate.

I've stayed 600 nights at Marriott and accumulated 2mill points. Some of those years have been spent as Silver, some Gold and some Plat. The problem with defining loyalty is, well, defining it. A customer sees you once every 3 years and buys just one thing each time. Is that person loyal? BP wouldn't think so, neither would Marriott, or any other hotel brand for that matter. BMW would, though! I'm sure WalMart would happily accept that a customer was loyal if they visited every week, even if they only spent $30 each time, I doubt WalMart would view a customer who visited once as loyal, even if they spent $30,000. Welcome, oh yes, but loyal. No.

Loyalty is a measure of repeat business. Marriott rewards all spend with loyalty points but awards loyalty status on nights spent. Though it's also true, that in combination with many others it  is possible to, at least in USA to buy status with the right credit card, or by flying regularly with the right airline and whilst I think these are mistaken moves, they do demonstrate their own loyalty, to the card, or the airline.

Turning to the subject here, I seldom have need to cancel on the day of arrival but it's good to have the option. I think this about turn has more to do with the "best rate guarantee" than to stiff guests, the issue being that 24 hours before arrival hotels drastically reduce prices with online agents to get rid of spare capacity and are finding themselves subject to a plague of BRG claims at 25% off those rock bottom rates. To my mind however this requires reworking the BRG rules, or the offloading-at-bargain-prices-last-minute practise that has become so commonplace rather than abandoning a key feature of the business hotel, last minute changes...

atlbiztravel Gold

My company may pay for hotel stays BUT I choose where, what Brand, and when I stay. I get great Marriott perks because I choose to stay with them and I am loyal. NOT the company I work for.

If you are jealous of business travelers who have more stays then maybe you should get a traveling job.

Personally, I should always get more perks, points. and nights than you because I gave them more business and stayed more nights.  Regardless of who pays, I am the reason they got the business because I chose to stay with them over other brands.

You should maybe join Choice brands and get a $50 gift card every other stay and hit gold witj 40 nights. Thats more for you.

chris0311 Platinum

I'm going to tell a quick story to illustrate how ridiculous some of you business travelers sound.

A couple of weeks ago I took my brother to a Yankees game. I very rarely spend anytime in the states so I decided to splurge on some premium seats. In our section there were three celebrities also watching the game. The people in the section above kept calling out to the celebrities throughout the whole game. I overheard one of the guys next to me remark "I wish these peasants would just let us enjoy the game". I was a bit taken aback but most of these guys work on wall street or are business owners and those seats costs a fortune. I guess they are entitled to a little bit of elitism. Turns out after some more "ear hustling" a few innings later that this guy was a plumber. His step father's company owned the seats he was in.

So to sum this up fellow platinum members and business travelers, some of you sound like elitist jerks. Except you don't have a leg to stand on, It's your company's money, not yours. You can very easily just go sleep at a Motel 6. A move which your company would love you for. You believe yourself to be more special because you stay at a hotel 25 nights more than someone else. Just like the plumber thought he was more special because he was given a better seat for free than fans who paid (a lot of money) for seats a section behind him. That is beyond sad.

As a platinum member who achieved it using his own money (can you hear the superiority complex now) I would like to see both Gold and Platinum get the benefit of a cancellation policy change.

madzadude Platinum

At least give us the option to cancel and change to another Marriott hotel...

wjgsvg Platinum

No, Gold is not as loyal as Platinum, sorry!

superchief1 Platinum

I think a fair approach would be to provide the old 6pm day of reservation cancellation policy for platinum, and allow a specific number of same day cancellations per year for other members based on status tier: member, Silver, and Gold. This would be win win for everyone while still discouraging last minute cancellations.

runner303 Platinum

+1

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews

I have stayed 6 times so far this year at Marriott properties.... I need the option of last minute cancellations if necessary.

Marriott is the ONLY chain that does not permit same day cancels.

Losing my frequent stay business.

feduppit,

Most hotel chains updated their cancellation polices earlier this year.

Hilton requires cancellation prior to 11:59pm the day before arrival

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/11/10/hilton-changing-global-cancellation-policy/

Starwood states that most of their properties "allow cancellation, without penalty, outside of 24 hours prior to check in time"

http://starwoodworldwide.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/149/~/what-is-the-cancellation-policy-for-my-reservation

Hyatt's website states to "read the cancellation and deposit policy" of the property.  The few times I've stayed at a Hyatt property they also did not allow same day cancellation.

I do miss Marriott's previous policy that allowed most reservations to be canceled the same day of arrival.  However they are not the only chain to adopt this type of policy change.

wjgsvg Platinum

So then, rather than being better, Marriott should be just like the rest?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

and this is what I tried to point out to other posters. Marriott is simply following industry standards. If you're going to switch to a hotel chain that allows last minute cancellations, good luck.

There will be some who switch brands because the only reason they stayed at Marriott was because of the old policy.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

and this is what I tried to point out to other posters. Marriott is simply following industry standards. If you're going to switch to a hotel chain that allows last minute cancellations, good luck.

There will be some who switch brands because the only reason they stayed at Marriott was because of the old policy.

superchief1 Platinum

Although other chains have also converted to this cancellation policy, some appear to be more willing to negotiate exceptions with companies. Our corporate travel has worked with Hilton to accept same day cancellations. Attempted negotiations with Marriott were unsuccessful.

The reason given for this change in policy is that many people cancel because they find a lower rate online. However, this is not likely the case for most business travelers so I don't understand why Marriott won't work with corporate travel to be more flexible with their policy. 

702rugbyref Platinum

I have not needed to cancel day of yet but I do watch the time in case I need to cancel 24hrs in advance. I have been told that if you call the MR folks and explain your situation, they have been accommodating.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

like you i haven't had to cancel and rarely would i not know within 24 hours unless driving by weather. I would be shocked if i couldn't stay based on a storm and i called marroitt platinum line and they wouldn't wave the cancellation

sapeltier Platinum

I have had on ocassion a change of plans where I had to cancel a reservation after the cutoff.  Marriott Customer Service or the Hotel has cancelled my reservation without any penalty or question.  I did not have to reschedule the stay or anything......

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...