21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2015 11:17 PM by guidedog613 RSS

Need suggestions for trip to Acadia National Park, Nova Scotia, and Atlantic Canada.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are just beginning to think about planning a trip to Acadia National Park, Nova Scotia and Atlantic Canada. Of course, I am interested in lodging utilizing Marriott properties; however, I realize we will need to look into alternate lodging (other chains, B&B's, etc.) choices if there is not a Marriott property nearby. I would particularly like lodging recommendations in the Bar Harbor area.  In addition, I am looking for restaurant suggestions, as well as points of interest that are must sees along the way.  We will have 2-3 weeks to spend and are looking forward to a leisurely trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
Atlantic Canada
  • Re: Need suggestions for trip to Acadia National Park, Nova Scotia, and Atlantic Canada.
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great post, razorbackfan! That is a part of the world I've always been interested in visiting and learning more about. Therefore looking forward to hearing of any past experiences that others in the group have to share. Have you visited to Nova Scotia before?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need suggestions for trip to Acadia National Park, Nova Scotia, and Atlantic Canada.
    KatieC Member

You are talking my language, razorbackfan! Bar Harbor is one of my favorite places and we used to go every summer. Unfortunately we stayed in a house, so I can't speak to the hotels.

Restaurants - Nachos and blueberry beer at Geddy's after a long hike (I can give you trail recommendations as well), The Asticou Inn has a great outdoor space for lunch but you need to check hours because I remember they were closed once when we tried to go and they do lots of private events. Lobster everywhere, but I LOVED Abel's Lobster Pound. On the pricey side but delicious and great views from the picnic tables. Also, The Galley, just over the bridge in W. Sullivan on the way to Schoodic Point (highly recommended drive) is also good.

I will send more recs later but I have to chat more with my hubby. You're going to love it!

Hi, Katie.  This is exactly the type information I need.  I really enjoy planning trips to destinations we will be visiting for the first time because I learn so much about that area.  I'll be looking forward to getting more recommendations from you and your hubby.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I've traveled there for many years; perhaps recent photo blog I posted Sept. 4, 2014 will help. You can find it by clicking on "Browse" and look for "Nova Scotia". For some reason, site will no longer allow "copy" pages and "post".

I remember seeing your pictures when they were first posted and thinking "I would like to visit there".  My husband, who is the photographer in the family, will enjoy all the photo taking opportunities.  We are thinking about staying in Halifax and doing day trips from there.  Do you think that would work?

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

We travel to Halifax quite often and enjoy it immensely especially the full service Marriott located right on the water.  Have received wonderful upgrades at this property and the staff is always wonderful.  Are you coming in by ferry from Maine? If so that drive from Yarmouth through Peggys Cove and on to Halifax is quite lovely. You can do some day trips from Halifax but if you are thinking of heading up to Cape Breton or along the Cabot Trail, basing yourself in Sydney would be better for that part of the island.  Since you are in the area have you looked into the Bay of Fundy...another phenomenal place to visit to watch the tide go out.  Any B&B here would be amazing, East coasters are the friendliest and their hospitality is unrivaled. When we visit I use TripAdvisor extensively to recommend good places to eat, they usually are spot on.  Depending on what time of year you are going, church or community Lobster dinners are incredible, you can't go wrong with them.

Thanks for the suggestions, Guidedog.  I think I've read something about a ferry from Maine to Yarmouth, but I need to do some more research on that.  I have wondered what the drive from Acadia National Park to Halifax would be like because it is over 400 miles.  We prefer to break up our driving distances these days.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

razorbackfan The Marriott in Halifax is up on a hill from the harbor, but we walked there for meals and touring the area, including the citadel up on hill from the hotel. Touring the rest of Nova Scotia is doable from Halifax, but a bit of a hike to Cape Breton and other parts of Maritime Islands, if you care to do this. NS - particularly the popular "Peggy's Cove" - is about an hour from Halifax, and Lunnenberg about the same, but if you have time, I'd suggest exploring Prince Edward Island and coast of Cape Breton as well; probably won't find Marriott properties except in Halifax.

btv_flyer Platinum

How about spending a few days at the historic Little River Lighthouse?  It's definitely not a Marriott property but it's comparable in price, has complimentary Internet, and would be a unique experience for sure.  It's about two hours northeast of Bar Harbor en route to Atlantic Canada.

You are right about it being a unique experience.  It is certainly a beautiful lighthouse.  I saw on their website that their boat which you use to get back and forth to the island was destroyed during Hurricane Arthur.  They are requesting donations to replace it.  They didn't say if they have a temporary replacement.  According to their website, you have to bring your own towels and bedding and I doubt that we would be able to fit that in our luggage.  I will definitely keep it in mind for future trips, especially if we are driving from home rather than flying.  Thank you for such a unique suggestion.

I have done a lot of research on this area and I predict that it will be a destination that we will return to.  On this trip, we have decided to limit the amount of territory we will cover so that we don't spend all our time in the car. The opportunities for seeing unforgettable scenery, wildlife viewing, eating fresh from the boats seafood (but I haven't read anything about crawfish in the area....just think, if crawfish were as big as lobsters...), the amazing tides, and the possibility of meeting some of my husband's relatives are endless.

Our overnight stays include Bangor (after a late afternoon arrival), Bar Harbor, St. Andrews by the Sea (thanks for the rec, Guidedog), Moncton, and Halifax (thanks for the info, fschumpert).  I am still trying to decide where we will stay as we work our way back to Bangor.

I am still seeking information about the area and would greatly appreciate any more suggestions.

It looks like your trip is taking shape razorbackfan. There are 3 Marriott hotels in Halifax but I have only stayed at the FS Marriott which is located right on the waterfront. I have had some great upgrades at this hotel and the staff is East coast friendly...always pleasant and extremely helpful. The Boardwalk along the waterfront is a lovely place to walk during the day or evening. The RI is up the hill from the harbor a couple of blocks from The Citadel and the Courtyard is within walking distance of the waterfront as well. There is Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 which shows the history of immigrants landing on Canadian shores and starting new lives.

I am not sure if you have decided to include Cape Breton in your tour, but driving the Cabot Trail is truly a unique and wonderful experience. The food...fresh off the boat seafood, the scenery....roads winding along the edges of rolling hills on one side and ocean on the other. Also for the Bra d'Or Lakes area is home to the largest concentration of breeding bald eagles in North America.

Yes, the trip is definitely shaping up.  We have reservations at the FS Marriott in Halifax.  I hope we will get an upgrade.  We are not including Cape Breton on this trip because we just don't have the time to do it justice.  We will plan another trip that will devote the time it deserves.  I could have planned a trip that lasted up to 6 weeks and I'm really sorry that I didn't plan on more than a couple of weeks; however, that gives us the chance to return to this area.  Thanks for the information about the bald eagles.  I will have to research that area.

After researching Cape Breton Island, we have decided to rearrange our trip so that we can visit that part of Nova Scotia.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Wow that is exciting. Cape Breton is beautiful and the Cabot Trail is one of the prettiest most scenic drives in the world. The Nova Scotia website allows you to request one of their planning books to be mailed to you that gives you information on what will be going on this year in NS.  There is a lot of camping areas but I cannot vouch for that as I am not a camper. There is a wonderful Inn/cottages overlooking Baddeck Bay which is located centrally...the name is Broadwater Inn and they have a variety of different types of accommodation. The Cabot Trail is a short jaunt from here as is the Ceilidh Trail.  Lots of small inns and eating spots with lots of wonderful seafood...yummy lobster rolls. There is golf, hiking and biking trails, whale watching as well as a tour to the Puffin colony, wildlife viewing and great East coast hospitality. The trip would not be complete without a stop at a Ceilidh, great music, singing and food. Hope you have a great time.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

How are you traveling to Acadia?  If you are driving and will pass through Kittery Maine, I have a dining suggestion.  Bob's Clam Hut.  They serve the best meal you'll ever have on a picnic table.  Lobstah rolls to die for!  Onion rings that are unbelievably fantastic!  Their fried clams are regarded by many, as the best anywhere.  When heading anywhere in Maine or NH, we detour to Bobs!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...