20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2015 6:43 AM by profchiara RSS

A Snurricane!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I hope all of you are doing well, especially in the NE corridor and New England.  We're having what I can only describe as a snurricane in central Maine.  Here it only started very early this morning, but we're being inundated.  (I have to keep all my windows shut or I'd probably be blown off my deck, so no photos.)  It's currently 11, though has been 0-7 for most of the day.  We are seeing band after band of dry blowing snow, and I won't guess at accumulation, except it's a lot.  We haven't lost power (thanks probably to the cold temps), and I saw a map of the storm earlier today on TV that looked like it actually had a small eye in it off the coast of Cape Cod.

Haven't heard any vehicles anywhere today, but Maine is in a state of emergency. How are the rest of you doing?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Snurricane!
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Since you asked, it was a beautiful and sunny day here in Portugal, but a little chilly with a low of 50.

On a serious note, stay safe.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi 7,

Thanks!  My aunt in Florida said the same thing, telling me how cold she was in sweatshirts and coasts (it was 49 there).

I do have to say it annoys me, even though I will never live long enough to be a Mainer, that all news and weather channels seem to think the northern New England coasts end at the northern suburbs of Boston.  Either someone stands in front of the whole state of Maine, or they just never mention we're being slammed...

Sigh.

I meant coats but coasts is more accurate.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I like that term - a snurricane! Sorry to hear you are getting the brunt of it. News and weather channels must think Mainers can handle it better than anyone else! Stay safe and warm!!

Thanks, Nathalie! We/they (since it takes generations to become a Mainer, and I will at most have just my own) handle snow and cold (and even ice) well, maybe (throwing down the gauntlet) better than any other state.  But it's kind of annoying, as much as I love Canada, that we just get blocked out by a torso or included in the Eastern provinces.

Happily, I think the power so far is good in Maine, though not Massachusetts.  There have been floodwall breaches in Swampscott, Marshfield and Scituate, and all power is out in Nantucket.

Thanks for the kind words! 

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Snurricane reminded me of snirt.  Snirt is the term for snow mixed with a lot of dirt when snowmobiling!

Hello Professor!  We are faring well here in mid-NH.  The snow is very light and fluffy, but still coming down.  We have not lost power, although I have been waiting for the generator to kick in at some point today.  I'm going to estimate our snowfall at 12 inches but it seems we're not done yet.  My friend in mid-MA received 30 inches so far and is looking forward to skiing tomorrow.  I'm helping my son with his homework, working on dinner, and looking forward to a glass of wine in front of the picture window in about an hour.  Stay warm!

Rough guess -- though it is hard to with all the blowing and drifting, but considering how the bands of snow keep passing back and forth over 95 (Waterville is between two exits of it) -- but I would say two feet easy.  Still, considering I lived in Millis, MA in the monster storm of 1978 (Wellesley cancelled its classes for a week, I think the first time ever) with 48" in a couple of days and here during the Great Ice Storm of 1998, I can't complain.  The latter was terrible. I was at a conference in Seattle and freaking out about whether or not my cat was all right (whereas my colleagues seldom called home to their families... ), and there was still no power before my last call before flight, but it came on just before I got home.  But some people in Waterville didn't have any power for 6 weeks in the middle of winter.  Oddly, that was what endeared Maine to me, even though I'll remain a city girl at heart.  People took in neighbors, colleagues slept in their offices with their pets (and kids), and there were no problems at all in the town.  Like it says when you enter Maine (but when I first began to believe it): "The way life should be."

Ah, the hearty Mainers (and Mainers-at-heart) will prevail!  I remember that storm of 1978 well.  Cuddle up with the kitty and enjoy the show at the window.  It's getting darker here and I just love this time of day when it is snowing.  The flakes seem to stand out more against the darker sky.  We have a lot of white pines on our property and they are tinged with white -- another nice thing to see at dusk.  Time for that medicinal...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Prof I live di Hopkinton Ma during the 1978 storm and was one of the smart ones who left at noon that day and got home . 128 was blocked for a week and people who braved it to stay at work all day never got home

I remember it well -- we were practically neighbors since I lived in Millis!  I was a student then and fortunately since I did not live on campus, Wellesley cancelled all their classes for the week.  (If I remember correctly, everyone was ordered off the roads for a week.)

We got about 27" yesterday and some cars in the parking lot of my apt complex look like big white lumps.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

remember the Gov Dukakis and his sweater . Yes closed for a week

DSCF3692.JPGHere you can barely make out the light snow falling.  This looks out onto my "fairy garden" where the beech still has leaves on it.

It is looking lovely -- but very different from here!  It truly is like a hurricane, but with snow instead of rain.  But since we're not let out of doors anyway (and since I've been sick with a horrible cold since I returned from Egypt), snuggling with my kitty is the best bet.  For some reason while low barometric pressure, rain and storms freak her out, snowstorms do not.  But then unlike me, she is a native Mainer since she was born here.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I'm glad you're surviving this, even if you're not feeling the best now. Snuggling with the cats is always comforting for you both .  We are having the exact opposite here in Olympia, WA (record setting highs in the 60's).  That is so scary for January, as you know you are going to pay for it later.  For us, it will be a drought summer, since the snow packs will not last long.  I hope you keep doing well, and know we're thinking of you!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Stay warm and safe profchiara, hope the weather is better today.

Yesterday here north of Houston it was 78, bright blue sky, light wind and an incredible winter day for golf.  Wish we had 364 more of these, but then I couldn't afford to live here!!

Today is supposed to be nice with a high around 20 and sunny, but then we're expecting another foot of snow between 1am Friday morning and Saturday morning -- then possibly another on Monday.  Sigh

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

If you don't mind, I'll let you keep all that snow and cold, even though we will get back down into the 30's at night and high 50's with rain during the day over the coming weekend.

Yes, winter is finally here in New England.  We're on a winter weather advisory again starting at 11 p.m. tonight for snow.  Stay inside where it's warm!

It started around 2 am (I wake up early), and we're now expecting 8-13" today and tonight.  Fortunately I don't start teaching again till next week!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...