12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2016 2:00 PM by voperationsgm RSS

Rollover nights count towards Lifetime Platinum Elite?

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Do rollover nights actually contribute to Lifetime Platinum Elite?  I just made Lifetime Platinum because of my rollover nights from 2014.  I don't really care about mine, but this would make it alot easier to achieve the 750 nights required to reach Lifetime status.  Can someone confirm this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover nights count towards Lifetime Platinum Elite?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Congrats on reaching Lifetime Platinum, wally3433! I'll look into clarification around those rollover points you mention and will follow up with an answer. Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Yes, rollover nights do count toward lifetime status.

So, if you get a Marriott credit card and stay 365 a nights, you are lifetime platinum in a year.

No wonder why so many people are Lifetime Platinum.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

That's one thing I have a problem with ... My lifetime status came from staying at the hotel.  Not from using their credit card.  It took me several years to get that status.  I won't complain too much though because I do utilize airline lounges just because of my Plat. Amex, etc. 

Happy Travels!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well there has been a general relaxing of the requirement to get lifetime and a degradation of the value of getting it. Like you I achieved based on the old criteria. Time for a higher level of lifetime

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

You need 2 million points to get to Lifetime Plat, not just 750 nights so not sure someone would get LTP in a year.

You are correct that since the # of years required for Plat was dropped, people can get to LTP than before.  In some cases (and this was before rollover, megabonus), some had the # of years but were lighter on the points/nights.

The other thing to think about is that it still takes a while to get to it.  For every person that's cognizant of credit card bonuses, megabonuses, rollever, there are many that are not & there are many that are not willing to play games, hotel hop, do manufactured spending, etc.  It all evens out.

Cheers.

Hi wally3433, I checked with our team to seek clarification around this, and I learned that rollover nights don't count towards lifetime status. The nights earned by staying in a hotel, and having the credit card, will count toward lifetime status, but rollover nights do not.

lindseyh, thanks for the info, but I fear the answer you were given by the team is not correct (at least according to what is on the Marriott website). Check out this page Elite Benefits for details.

Here is screen capture for those who don't want to follow the link.

lifetime.PNG

It clearly states that rollover nights do count toward lifetime status. Please pass this info along to the team. It's possible this is a recent change in policy that hasn't been widely disseminated. Confusion is more likely when we're not all on the same page.

Regardless of the policy, we do appreciate your efforts to get answers for us. Thanks.

Appreciate this response, bejacob, as I certainly don't want to be providing faulty information! As the messenger, I'm relaying information and insight provided to me from the greater team to post here. In this case, it looks like what I've been told and the info you possess differ, so I'm going to relay your post back to the team to confirm. Thanks again!

Thanks for passing this info back to the team. I have no doubt they provided you with the info they had at the time. I appreciate your role as one of our messengers (we, the community, need people in that role) so keep up the good work.

I have to agree with bejacob, since right now, in my account, I would not be Lifetime Platinum without the rollover nights.  Ironically, this is the first year we have had rollover nights, so I would not have noticed in the past.  I really do not care, we are going to make Lifetime Platinum this year, with or without the rollover nights, but I was just surprised that this would be allowed.

This policy drastically reduces the amount of time it takes to make Platinum for those with massive rollover nights each year.  Let's say you stay a year at a Marriott, straight - that's 365 nights, plus another 290 nights in rollover - add this to your credit card bonus nights, etc and you have already reached the Lifetime Platinum nights requirement - in HALF the time.

I realize that this does not apply to that many people - but to me, it just does not make sense.   Most of us have "done it the hard way", and I like the idea that it's somewhat difficult to reach Lifetime Platinum, but now that I am there, knowing this, I feel a little less special.

I realize that there is a points qualification as well, and maybe that equalizes some of this argument - but intuitively, the double dip on rollover nights seems flawed.

voperationsgm Platinum 7 Reviews

Just made Lifetime Elite with 990 nights & 2,090,000 million points. Yea! ALL Marriott properties are my only choice and the App is the best! Thank you Marriott!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...